PDA

View Full Version : Gridding- need advice!

tanacat
09-22-2010, 08:40 AM
I usually use trees and that fence post or flower bed over there, try to pay attention to where I've been, but I'm sure miss A LOT of area. Get sidetracked- ooh that area by the side porch looks good, etc.... How many of you grid and how do you do it?

Yesterday I went out and bought a bunch of little orange :usaflag:s to help keep me focused and cover as much ground as possible. I started with 4 :usaflag:s, making a big square but ended up liking to use 2 :usaflag:s. I stuck one in the ground and headed toward a big tree about 50 ft away, planted a second :usaflag:, turned around and headed back to the first :usaflag:, then back to the 2nd and moved it over about 2 feet. Back and forth like hunting a plowed field for arrowheads. It really helped me stay on track. Pretty simple but curious how GRIDDING is done? I imagine using string and such. Is there already a good thread started here, ideas on how to grid?

P.S. It's fun having the :usaflag:s, make me feel important like I'm a surveyor lol From a distance people prob think I work for utility company, looking for pipes and wires.

Might save questions like is that a 'geiger metre'? Are you weed eating? Do you have permission to dig up our city park? Do you need some spare change for a meal? :shocked04:stretcher:

catskillcomics
09-22-2010, 09:18 AM
Hey Tanacat, I grid all the time.. usually up & down time, then maybe the next time Im there I go the opposite direction,.. and then maybe the next time in same area, go diagonial .. and yep, sometimes I lose my spot in the grid from being sidetracked by a person wanting to talk, or something else.. I think the :usaflag:s are a good Idea and have thought about picking some up myself.. I think Angel uses :usaflag:s too.. Im sure they come handy especially in really large areas..

hoser
09-22-2010, 11:33 AM
When I really want to check an are out real close I grid. I have found a bunch of those heavy duty aluminum tent stakes that are a foot long. I drilled holes near the top and tied nylon sting to each about 40' long. When I want to grid a place I set out these stakes in a square and hunt within the confines going one direction and then cross direction. When I want to move I just leapfrog two of the stakes and start a new grid. Having the fence strings keeps me focused, and also a reference for swings. thumbsup01

coinnut
09-22-2010, 06:13 PM
I stuck one in the ground and headed toward a big tree about 50 ft away, planted a second :usaflag:, turned around and headed back to the first :usaflag:, then back to the 2nd and moved it over about 2 feet. Back and forth like hunting a plowed field for arrowheads. It really helped me stay on track.

That is the simplest and best way I have heard of doing it. Not too fancy and easy to follow. But the line method does give you an extra way of keeping from wandering between the stakes. But I like your method since it's easy..... and I like easy lol I'm too old to think a lot ;)

Jason in Enid
09-22-2010, 08:56 PM
The simplest way is to watch your trail. Pick a spot ahead of you and walk straight towards it while detecting. When you get to your turn around point, plant your coil on the ground and walk 180 degrees around it. This way you are overlapping the outside of each path. Now you do two things. Pick a point straight ahead that is about 6 feet over from your start point. As you walk towards it, keep an eye on your foot prints from the last row and try to keep them the same distance away.

You will STILL miss some ground even doing it this way, so that is why if you think the ground has potential or you've made of good finds, you go back over the ground from a 90 degree angle. Still producing? Hit it again at a 45 degree angle.

tanacat
09-23-2010, 07:44 AM
As you walk towards it, keep an eye on your foot prints from the last row and try to keep them the same distance away.

Thanks for the suggestions! Btw it sounds as if you're talking about plowed field here? I can't see my footprints in the grass... I don't think :thinkingabout: But will pay attention -today! Headed out right now to my usual spot.

Thanks everyone for your input thumbsup01 I'll ask Angel how he goes about it too.

Jason in Enid
09-23-2010, 08:10 AM
Nope, in the grass. If it was just cut, it can be hard to see, but mostly you can see a line where you walked.

BTW, you should be going slow enough that you are basically shuffling your feet as you move. This may also help leave your foot trail.

Exploreruser
09-23-2010, 12:39 PM
If I'm hunting a park I usally try to follow the lanes the mowers made while cutting the grass.. :) But I normaly find myself wondering off the tracks toward that big tree 100 foot away..lol

tanacat
09-23-2010, 02:52 PM
Yeah my nick name is 'Side-track Sally' lol I'm totally type B personality & using these :usaflag:s makes me realize how much I enjoy the spontanieaty of a relaxing wandering hunt. The :usaflag:s make me feel wierd, forcing me to be someone I'm not. Too structured or something.

Although.... :rolleyes: today when I gridded the side yard where I've criss-crossed many times before- I found another old postmaster police button! All in all mixed feelings about gridding. Anyone else feel the same?

coinnut
09-23-2010, 03:23 PM
All in all mixed feelings about gridding. Anyone else feel the same?

I usually wander, since it's in my blood lol But when I hit an area that feels good, I grid it and usually find something good. I casually grid right around the cellar hole and start to wander more as I get further away from it. This has always worked for me :yes:

z118
09-24-2010, 06:24 AM
I just about never grid. If I find a something good I will work the immediate area pretty carefully, but other than that I just tend to wander around like a drunken sailor. Maybe that explains my low silver counts! lol

Jason in Enid
09-24-2010, 08:04 AM
I have to grid. I fear missing out on something if I don't.

Sometimes I may initially wander, but will begin gridding as soon as I make a good find.

kenfen
09-26-2010, 09:04 AM
I just wander around like an old fool looking for pennies and tokens.....that's also my standard line to curiosity seekers.

Mr Nosy: Found anything good?
Old Fool: Not today....(crazed smile on my face)

They leave fast.

lol

I like the :usaflag: idea. Yes, it will look like you're working for the city or something! Great idea!

Regards, Ken

Spiderwort
11-27-2010, 10:27 PM
Tanacat. I like your :usaflag:ging idea. Another way would be to attach a weedblade to your coil. Keep detecting the uncut areas until the grass is mowed. :cheering:

tanacat
11-29-2010, 10:38 AM
Tanacat. I like your :usaflag:ging idea. Another way would be to attach a weedblade to your coil. Keep detecting the uncut areas until the grass is mowed. :cheering:

lol just had an idea for winter hunting- use the :usaflag:s to mark the already thawed areas of an area on a sunny day... It's frustrating to hunt and not be able to dig up a good signal if the ground is FROZEN SOLID :ticked:

Spiderwort
11-29-2010, 08:08 PM
One of the advantages of living in the south is the lack of frozen ground. But I do miss ice fishing.

tanacat
11-29-2010, 10:15 PM
One of the advantages of living in the south is the lack of frozen ground. But I do miss ice fishing.

Oh I hadn't noticed where you are from- lucky you! I'm in Central Kentucky, although it doesn't freeze up the WHOLE winter, so I shouldn't complain... :)

Nice to meet you & welcome to the forum!

DAN03USMC
02-13-2011, 06:28 PM
I use a pink and yellow tennis ball. I walk along using it as a reference point. I kick it a couple of feet to the right or left of the direction I am going. It helps me from zig-zaging too much. I find it helps me keep straighter lines.

Dimeman
02-13-2011, 08:55 PM
When I grid I use some small orange cones ( you can get them in the soccer section, of sporting goods stores).
Start with a section of ground about 30 feet long and 10 feet wide.
Place 3 or 4 in a line then 3 or 4 more about 3 feet away in the same line. When you finish, move the 1st row you put down ,over on the other side of the 2nd row you put down.

Overlap your swings by 1/2 and go slow. The more you overlap and go slow the better you will cover the area. A coin can fit in 1 square inch of dirt. If you miss a bit of ground you might just miss that gold ring, or a 1916 D Mercury dime or a CW button. :shocked04: :shocked04:

Carver
02-14-2011, 05:42 PM
I use popsickle sticks,,,,,they don't draw any unwanted attention either

Indy!
02-14-2011, 06:01 PM
Nope, in the grass. If it was just cut, it can be hard to see, but mostly you can see a line where you walked.

BTW, you should be going slow enough that you are basically shuffling your feet as you move. This may also help leave your foot trail.

Yep, that was going to be my suggestion. That's exactly what I do, in thick grass conditions. Shuffling your feet, you can see the trail on the way back!

Cheap Thrills
02-14-2011, 08:08 PM
Planting little red :usaflag:s would probably get me shot as there is a turf war going around here by two rival gangs :stretcher: . Blue is a no-no too. :-\ These clowns even mark their turf by tagging trees at the local city park . :crazy:

russellt
02-14-2011, 10:47 PM
no need to use ancilliary items , cones , flgs etc.. see you have to take that stuff with you when you get there and when you leave ,,,.. like jason said . just drop a mental square on the area you want to search .. most times you can pick a landmark in the distance and focus your path therein. focusing on a distant point will take your minds focus off staring at the screen .. then you can finetune your audio discrimination, the between the ears disc........ that , and i hit a place from at least 2 different directions. and like jack said sometimes 3. hope this helps thumbsup01

pinpointa
02-15-2011, 03:51 AM
Hi Guys,
This is my very first posting on this forum. I live in Perth Western Australia and use a Whites V3. I have been detecting for 33 years and have owned heeps of brands in that time. The way i go about gridding a profitable area is i have a square of 12 and 3/4 pvc pipe which is 3 feet square so it fits into the boot but opens up to 6 feet square so i can start at a given point and lye it down on the grass and grid north, south, east and west and then flip it over. By this way you dont miss anything.

Regards Pinpointa Down Under in Oz.

del
02-15-2011, 03:54 AM
hello Pinpointa , very interesting and looks like a very thorough way of doing it .

giant056
02-15-2011, 06:09 AM
Gridding in the water is really hard, in swimming areas I'll drag my scoop and it works pretty good if the water is clear enough.

tanacat
02-15-2011, 08:47 AM
Hi Guys,
This is my very first posting on this forum. I live in Perth Western Australia and use a Whites V3. I have been detecting for 33 years and have owned heeps of brands in that time. The way i go about gridding a profitable area is i have a square of 12 and 3/4 pvc pipe which is 3 feet square so it fits into the boot but opens up to 6 feet square so i can start at a given point and lye it down on the grass and grid north, south, east and west and then flip it over. By this way you dont miss anything.

Regards Pinpointa Down Under in Oz.

Very cool!! :clapping: Now that is thorough...

Jeff (or)
02-15-2011, 06:11 PM
I don't grid very often using markers. When I do, I use colored golf tees. I just keep a handfull of them in my warbag. :popcorn:

dave in iowa
02-15-2011, 06:51 PM
I use 4 plastic white golf balls, i step out 10 paces in a square area and drop the golf balls in each cornor , then i pick up 2 of them and walk off another 10 paces and so on .

coinnut
02-15-2011, 07:10 PM
I wander around until I see some of my old holes lol Most of the time I just try and focus on my direction. Doing a wooded area with lots of trees and saplings, It's hard to have any rigid method of detecting. But that set up is a good one pinpointa. It may be a nice way to do the open areas where we hunt cellar holes (old home sites).

tanacat
02-16-2011, 10:49 AM
I wander around until I see some of my old holes lol

rofl lol rofl

Wow- you guys shared lots of different ways to grid!

tennis balls
golf balls
colored golf tees
orange :usaflag:s
pvc pipe
string/stakes
popsicle sticks
orange cones
pay attention to landmarks
grass/foot shuffle trail
follow mower tracks in grass
snow tracks