PDA

View Full Version : Nova

del
04-26-2022, 07:05 PM
Last Saturday's hunt was an invite up into Massachusetts , I was lucky enough to find a 1785 Nova Constellatio 70190 and I'll see if anyone here knows what the other items are for extra credit 70191 ;).

Dan

The Rebel
04-27-2022, 04:55 AM
WTG Dan on the Nova as well as the cannon friction primers. Why were they there?

Bucknut
04-27-2022, 05:24 AM
That is a beautiful old coin! I would ask how many you have found in your life but then I would just get even more jealous.

OxShoeDrew
04-27-2022, 11:42 AM
Now that's a good looking find! :drool:
Roger gets the extra credit! WTG
How's the other side? Some day I'll find a Nova with more than 20% left of it. :lol:

Digger_O'Dell
04-27-2022, 04:59 PM
Awesome find on that Nova! I would have lost the extra credit as I thought those were ground rods. Guess it's just my train of thought being an electrician.

Digger Don
04-27-2022, 06:41 PM
If I dug a coin like that I would flip out Dan. :wow:

Lodge Scent
04-27-2022, 08:22 PM
Nice! A Nova is still high on my wish list. You have to give us some details on those primers !

BTV Digger
04-29-2022, 02:00 PM
Nice Dan! Still looking for my first.

John

Donnie B
04-30-2022, 05:44 AM
Beautiful coin Dan! I don't remember you digging one so it must have been awhile since your last one.

badgers325
05-01-2022, 06:33 PM
Way to go Dan! Awesome finds!!!!:happy:

Tony Two-Cent
05-02-2022, 08:10 AM
Congrats on the Nova Constellatio, Dan! That is a great photo of it! :loveit:

I had no clue on the cannon primers. Silly me, I probably would have thrown them away. :lol:

fyrffytr1
05-02-2022, 10:17 PM
Heck, I would be happy to dig a primer like those. I can only dream about finding coins like that!

del
05-03-2022, 05:14 AM
WTG Dan on the Nova as well as the cannon friction primers. Why were they there?

Roger , you get the xtra-credit :cheering:. they are indeed friction primers from an artillery cannon as to why they were at an old cellar home site is still a mystery , perhaps someone there worked at a gun powder mill manufacturing them or a soldier came home from the war with extra primers when he manned an artillery battery . It was funny to listen to a few of the guys I was with that day banter and question what these "modern pieces of junk" they kept digging and that they were a nuisance finding them until I told them what they were , then their whole demeanor changed and wanted to dig more.:lol:

That is a beautiful old coin! I would ask how many you have found in your life but then I would just get even more jealous.

I haven't found as many as Fugio coins :thumbsup01:, thanks

Now that's a good looking find! :drool:
Roger gets the extra credit! WTG
How's the other side? Some day I'll find a Nova with more than 20% left of it. :lol:

Drew , the other side is rough although you can make out some of the latin and the scripted U.S.

Awesome find on that Nova! I would have lost the extra credit as I thought those were ground rods. Guess it's just my train of thought being an electrician.

Thanks DOD , one of the guys with us though it might have been some kind of fuse or similar .

If I dug a coin like that I would flip out Dan. :wow:

Don , these are the kinds of coins i've been trying to get you guys to find whenever you all come out .

Nice! A Nova is still high on my wish list. You have to give us some details on those primers !

Jeff , I would of guessed you had found a few already . as far as we know we weren't close to any military camps or forts and no military items were found at the cellar site :dontknow:

Nice Dan! Still looking for my first.

John

Like Jeff i'm surprised you haven't passed your coil over a couple by now John . your having a great year so far sir !

Beautiful coin Dan! I don't remember you digging one so it must have been awhile since your last one.

Donnie , it has been a few years since my last . Jimmy Teflon missed this coin so its even more special !:lol:

Way to go Dan! Awesome finds!!!!:happy:

Thank you sir .

Congrats on the Nova Constellatio, Dan! That is a great photo of it! :loveit:

I had no clue on the cannon primers. Silly me, I probably would have thrown them away. :lol:

Tony if I hadn't dug up one (a reenactors primer to a cannon) a few years ago I may have tossed them too.

Heck, I would be happy to dig a primer like those. I can only dream about finding coins like that!

Thanks , this site was most likely abandoned or burnt down sometime before the Civil war so we were thinking the primers might have been from either war of 1812 to the Mexican war era