PDA

View Full Version : Trend Developing With The V3

CyberSage
09-22-2010, 08:18 PM
As I continue to spend my very brief metal detecting adventures in my near by heavily hunted old park I have started noticing that I am pulling good finds from holes that contain more than one target. Typically it will be deeper iron(nails, wire bits) located below the coin. lately I have been getting coins in the same hole as pull tabs that are at, or above the coin level. I don't understand how this is possible, but I dig based on 3 frequency pinpoint response after getting a desirable motion mode reproducible VDI. I can't make this happen in air testing, but it sure happens in the field. A little mineralization strength makes the difference I guess. Anyone having similar experiences?

Jack

Schrecky
09-24-2010, 05:14 PM
I have encountered that too. Are you still using your Correlate program?

CyberSage
09-24-2010, 07:46 PM
Yes I am Schrecky. Same old Correlate program. I continue to grid locations that have produced a lot of Wheats for me in the past and the Silver is showing itself more and more. Pretty fun, but I just got to shake my head at some of the junk I find next to the Silver Dimes. :dontknow: I will gladly take it, though I don't understand what's happening.

Schrecky
09-25-2010, 04:12 PM
Keep it up. I use your program most of the time.

magic
09-27-2010, 09:29 PM
Jack,
I may have an answer to this.
I have noticed lately that I have been able to get coins and such in areas that have lots of trash. Kind of like I can discriminate better. I have dug coins with nails and such in the same hole and wonder why it gave me such a good clean sound. Here is what I think. Here in Indiana, we have not had any rain to speak of. It is dry as a bone and the ground is like dust. I think that finding objects is easier in trashy areas because without the moisture, your not getting that halo effect from the coins or the trash.

In other words, I am thinking that when its really dry, its better to go to trashy spots because you can separate better...just like the objects are just hanging in air. And when its wet, Its best to go to areas that the wetness will help you get the deep signals in areas where the ground is not very trashy. Does this make sense to you? Thought I would post that here so the gurus dont tell us how it really is.

CyberSage
09-27-2010, 10:13 PM
Things are definitely very dry here Magic. We have had some of the worst forest fires in recent history in Colorado. The city cut's back on watering the parks in September. This is a very good observation. Thanks for the input Magic.

Jack

BHNugget
09-27-2010, 10:38 PM
Majic,I would have to agree with you on your theory.I dont think it completely iliminates halo,but it definatley cuts it back. thumbsup01

Myownwings
09-27-2010, 11:35 PM
That makes a lot of sense Magic, thanks:)

coinnut
09-28-2010, 06:08 AM
Absolutely the case where I am from. Dry separates better even without changing settings. Wet ground is for deep items to pop out at you. I think you are correct Magic.

CyberSage
09-28-2010, 07:05 AM
Here is a great example of what I am continually running into. This was 2 deep Wheat Pennies in the same hole as a crimp style bottle cap...

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o187/CyberSageBH3300/CrimpCapWheats.jpg

This was in the park on Sunday.

This is a dig from about 2 weeks ago. It was just a Memorial cent(below), but you can see the flat mark (lower right) in the plug just an inch and a half from the still embedded crimp cap. Remember I am using the D2 coil with a very slow recovery delay of 105. That's a big coil to get such good separation.

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o187/CyberSageBH3300/RD1.jpg

magic
09-28-2010, 09:04 AM
Jack,
I see from the photos that you still have some grass. We have none...its just brown straw here.

Anyway, With your recovery at 105 and a slow swing speed, is it possible that you are hitting the coin from its direction and it doesnt have time to recover from the coin hit as it passes over the cap? Just a thought.
I may be totally wrong here. Just trying to help solve the mystery so we can all become more knowledgeable.

Thanks for the other responses from others. I am sure the dryness plays a big roll but it may not be the case for Jack.

CyberSage
09-28-2010, 09:49 AM
This is a quote from Magic's program thread. It was made by Bob at Whites Electronics.

On the subject of correlate vs. best data the depth should be the same...

...Giving this some thought it would be what I would expect from the V3. However the targets were would have been dug in either mode and most of them were 6 to 8 inches down. As both correlate mode and best data look at the VDI /phase of the target and then processes the audio information according to the setting of the machine such as disc, recovery delay, tones and the list goes on.

On the subject of recovery delay it does pretty much what you are seeing except as the signal received from the target decays on its slope if a stronger signal is received before the end of the original target signal the the stronger signal will take over and sound off. At least this is the way it should work...

rcsnake
Bob@Whites

What he stated in the last paragraph has got me wondering. Maybe we are not dealing with separation at all. He talks about a stronger signal becoming dominant and sounding off. It kind of sounds like the Recovery Delay is actually interrupted before it's prescribed setting has a chance to finish.

Bob, if you are out there reading this, may be you could elaborate on the definition of stronger in this instance. Is it just a higher conductive target or larger target, or a combination of both? Thanks in advance.

Jack

rcsnake
09-28-2010, 03:01 PM
Bob, if you are out there reading this, may be you could elaborate on the definition of stronger in this instance. Is it just a higher conductive target or larger target, or a combination of both? Thanks in advance.

Jack

This would be for all targets irregardless of being a higher conductive target or lower conductor. If the new target/signal goes above the signal threshold of the older target/signal, then the new one will respond before the old signal is finished and returns to threshold.

The down side is if then new signal is weaker than the one being processed it will not be heard until the recovery delay is finish or a stronger signal is detected. Hence, as you have seen a slower sweep (with the dd loops) for moving the loop is very helpful for separating out targets in the ground.

rcsnake

CyberSage
09-28-2010, 04:27 PM
That was a fast reply Bob! Thanks for the clarification on that. Those rusty caps must be the weaker signal then. What a beautiful thing that is. Maybe I should spend less time trying to understand this, and more time hunting. lol Thanks again.

Jack

odave
12-30-2010, 01:41 PM
That was a fast reply Bob! Thanks for the clarification on that. Those rusty caps must be the weaker signal then. What a beautiful thing that is. Maybe I should spend less time trying to understand this, and more time hunting. lol Thanks again.

Jack

I guess it's like trying to hear someone You're talking to when somebody else starts talking
You have to move a little to hear them again....Good Topic Jack !!
Good hunting

Dave