PDA

View Full Version : Small Copper Spill

OxShoeDrew
05-18-2022, 09:34 AM
Beautiful weather here... I got out to a cellar hole this morning. In the nails I got a two copper spill. One is 1834 and the other dateless. Away from the hole I dug the IH and a couple of not pictured musket ball drops. Thanks!

Digger_O'Dell
05-18-2022, 09:48 AM
Very nice Drew! Love to see goodies pulled out of the iron as it's often so difficult to unmask. Those are certainly some nice finds, congrats!

wisconsin digger
05-18-2022, 05:49 PM
Your post does humor me. You found a Large cent 2 coin spill and I have found 4 Large cents in my life. That must be a great feeling to find two at once. Congrats on the nice recoveries. WD

The Rebel
05-18-2022, 06:21 PM
WTG Drew!

OxShoeDrew
05-19-2022, 07:06 AM
Thanks, Chris,WD,Roger! Large copper coin spills are rare WD, but it happens from time to time. My biggest was three. Two sandwiched the third and the 1730s middle coin came out of the ground looking like they dropped it yesterday! Most of our coppers are a mess though. The largest spill I ever heard was Dan's seven.

Bucknut
05-19-2022, 07:35 AM
Great recovery on the copper spill! I think I have found 7-8 coppers in my life and I think just 2 came here in Michigan and the others I found in Ohio. My dream would be to find a state copper some day.

Digger_O'Dell
05-19-2022, 01:00 PM
So what's the largest overall coin spill anyone has ever had? I had that 28 silver dime spill on my first ever hunt as I recall (26 Mercs, 2 Barbers)

OxShoeDrew
05-19-2022, 01:28 PM
I watched my son on one of the oldest roads (now woods) in the country, The Old King's Highway, dig 75 CLAD coins then give up with no end in sight.

Digger_O'Dell
05-19-2022, 02:03 PM
I watched my son on one of the oldest roads (now woods) in the country, The Old King's Highway, dig 75 CLAD coins then give up with no end in sight.

That's crazy! I hunted a high school once and found an embankment right outside the cafeteria where the students likely sat outside to eat lunch. The area was littered with countless layers of clad coins, mostly pennies. I gave up after about an hour with over $10 in small change and no end in sight.

OxShoeDrew
05-19-2022, 02:58 PM
wait, i misread that...you dug 28 silver coins on your first hunt ever?? Did you do that in 1955? :lol:

Tony Two-Cent
05-20-2022, 07:52 AM
I can't even imagine what it would be like to find a copper spill! :shocked04:

Were the two coins stuck together, Drew, or were they just in the same hole? Is the dateless one a Matron also?

Congrats on the exciting find!

OxShoeDrew
05-20-2022, 11:52 AM
Thanks, Tony! They are the exact same coins, same condition as well...both reverses are better than obverses. Same hole, but I don't see evidence of being touching.

Digger_O'Dell
05-20-2022, 12:44 PM
wait, i misread that...you dug 28 silver coins on your first hunt ever?? Did you do that in 1955? :lol:

No, you didn't misread that! :shocked03: I found a site next to a mostly collapsed barn and a foundation for a house that looked like it had been demolished and bulldozed into the cellar. Right near the foundation in a sandy area I got a nice signal and found a Merc about a half inch deep. The I saw another as I was digging...and another...and another. Just went to using the pinpointer and in about a 3 foot radius found then all just sitting there. I also found parts of a short round opaque pink glass jar and the matching lid, sort of like a makeup powder jar. My guess is it was probably a change jar full of the coins left inside the house when it was demolished. Any body's guess as to why only dimes, but I'm not complaining.

http://www.americandetectorist.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=51136&d=1446694227

http://www.americandetectorist.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=51137&d=1446694233

OxShoeDrew
05-20-2022, 01:51 PM
That's about 1/2 of my LIFETIME merc total! In one hunt!! On your FIRST HUNT!!! Freakin amazing!
I initially thought you might have had your first hunt back when silver was everywhere...which reminded me of local guy I used to detect with. He had been detecting since the 70s. He told me they used to show up at public buildings and dig 100s of shallow silvers. He said they didn't even have discrimination, they just learned the "coin tone."
Oddly, when we used to hunt about 10 yrs ago he was using a machine from like 1990 which had disc but didn't seem to go deep. I was using a much newer T2 and was cleaning up whenever we went to his "pounded" sites.
Sometimes I imagine how much fun it would be to go back in time with a new machine.

Digger_O'Dell
05-20-2022, 02:29 PM
Oddly, when we used to hunt about 10 yrs ago he was using a machine from like 1990 which had disc but didn't seem to go deep. I was using a much newer T2 and was cleaning up whenever we went to his "pounded" sites.
Sometimes I imagine how much fun it would be to go back in time with a new machine.

Always the latest and greatest technology to eek out the few missed targets, which might be something like an inch deeper or having a nail nearby hiding a good target that threw everyone else who came by before. But yeah, I sometimes imagine what it would be like taking my machine to hunt around medieval castles, Celtic or Roman cities, or even hit those gold fields before the prospectors show up.

Lodge Scent
05-20-2022, 04:14 PM
That doesn't happen too often Drew. Well done.