PDA

View Full Version : Walker, Merc, And Ring

angellionel
11-17-2009, 06:32 PM
I took another drive to the park to finish off gridding an area I didn't get to complete yesterday. But I didn't find any silver there; just a few wheat cents and several clad coins. After a good long while I decided to head to another section of the park, closer to one of the local roads. I didn't hit on anything of interest for some time and was beginning to think that I would be heading back home empty-handed, but then I hit on a good signal. It ended up being a 1947 Roosevelt dime. Soon thereafter I hit on a nice-looking silver ring. That got me more motivated.

http://www.angellionel.com/myfinds/2009/November/CPH_silverring_111709.jpg

I moved closer to where a line of trees and shrubs bordered the park and began to hit target after target, all trash. I dug plenty of it, since the targets were sounding fairly good, even if pinpointing larger than a coin. Most were large pieces of metal, some of them small copper pipes. The following are examples of what I was digging.

http://www.angellionel.com/myfinds/2009/November/CPH_trash_111709.jpg

Because of the trash, I slowed down my sweep considerably in an effort to hear the silver dimes I felt were there. Then I hit on another good tone, Fe in the 8 through 11 range, and Co of 47/48. It was pinpointing small too, but having dug a good amount of trash from there for the past thirty minutes or so, I thought it might be another large piece of metal. Still, I was enthusiastically entertaining the idea that it was a half dollar since the numbers were right, and the tone was sounding much cleaner. Sure enough, after cutting the plug and removing some soil, I spotted the glint of silver. I removed my glove to scrape away some of the soil from the target, and there it was, a Walker! I took a quick photo before retrieving the coin.

http://www.angellionel.com/myfinds/2009/November/CPH_walkerinhole_111709.jpg

And here she is in all her grandeur! Apparently she was mixed in with rusting metal, but the E-Trac locked in on her.

http://www.angellionel.com/myfinds/2009/November/CPH_1943halfdollar_111709.jpg

Not long after that I dug up a 1945 mercury dime, and then headed back home soon thereafter.

Here is my silver take for the day.

http://www.angellionel.com/myfinds/2009/November/CPH_silver_111709.jpg

HH!

Jason in Enid
11-17-2009, 06:37 PM
Congrats. Is it getting boring finding all that silver yet?

Aren't you using a slightly modified Andy's program?

angellionel
11-17-2009, 06:38 PM
Congrats. Is it getting boring finding all that silver yet?

Aren't you using a slightly modified Andy's program?

Never. :lol:

Yes, I am using a slightly modified A.S. program. I opened up the foil range, since it allows me to pick up chains and platinum, and I added an accept notch to the silver side. The bottom range of the program is the same. Changing it tends to allow too much of the iron to bleed through.

MNDigger
11-17-2009, 07:21 PM
Nice job on the Walker! :thumbsup01: Sure pays to slow down and really listen to the Etrac! I am amazed at all the coins I have missed in the past with my other machines.

catskillcomics
11-17-2009, 07:23 PM
Very nice walking 1/2 dollar there Angel, That's 2 halves in 3 days.. wow

Epi-hunter
11-17-2009, 07:38 PM
That is a gorgeous half! :) It seems like silver replenishes itself overnight in that park. I wish I could go back there :)

angellionel
11-17-2009, 07:43 PM
That is a gorgeous half! :) It seems like silver replenishes itself overnight in that park. I wish I could go back there :)

I have little underground elves working full time for me. :lol: I will have to talk to them about all that trash though. :beatdown: :lol:

marchas45
11-17-2009, 08:08 PM
Nice looking finds Angel and that's an awesome half and I love the ring, hell I love them all. The trash looks like what I dig in my back yard especially the lead pipe. :crying01:

Snowy
11-17-2009, 08:14 PM
Angel, do you ever rinse your coins in water? What do you do with them?
(I prolly already asked this, and sorry if I did.... but my read hair is turning blonde, I guess.)

angellionel
11-17-2009, 08:46 PM
Angel, do you ever rinse your coins in water? What do you do with them?
(I prolly already asked this, and sorry if I did.... but my read hair is turning blonde, I guess.)

I haven't rinsed/cleaned any of the silver I found this year, but I normally use water to remove the soil. I then place the coin in a 2x2 coin holder. :)

Epi-hunter
11-17-2009, 08:51 PM
I have little underground elves working full time for me. :lol:

So that's who has been pushing my coins around in the ground when I am trying to pinpoint :lol:

Bentfork
11-17-2009, 09:03 PM
Gorgeous Walker. How deep was she?

G.

angellionel
11-17-2009, 09:15 PM
Gorgeous Walker. How deep was she?

G.

Not more than 5 - 5 1/2. It was in a trashy section of the park, which is why it may have been missed before.

Snowy
11-17-2009, 09:18 PM
Thanks! Thought so.
Now.... what do you do with your coppers?

angellionel
11-17-2009, 09:51 PM
Thanks! Thought so.
Now.... what do you do with your coppers?

I have been putting them away in a container until I can get to them this winter. I'll try to clean off the crusted on soil as best as I can and then I'll place them in 2x2 as well. :)

Krom
11-17-2009, 10:13 PM
That's a beautiful ring, Angel (normally, with all the other digs you made today, I'd give you the You Suck award, but I'll keep that in reserve... for now). :beatdown:
Ohh... I jus' noticed... that bat-in-hand smiley is a K. Kinda fitting. ;)

angellionel
11-17-2009, 10:21 PM
That's a beautiful ring, Angel (normally, with all the other digs you made today, I'd give you the You Suck award, but I'll keep that in reserve... for now). :beatdown:
Ohh... I jus' noticed... that bat-in-hand smiley is a K. Kinda fitting. ;)

:lol: :lol:

I like that smirky smiley with the bat too. :grin:

OkieDigger
11-17-2009, 10:40 PM
Nice digs!

Dave
11-18-2009, 12:56 AM
Nice half! and the rest is cool too! Congrats!

del
11-18-2009, 03:48 AM
is there any safe place for the silver to hide from this guy :huh:

very nice silver Angel and great looking ring too.

Dan

Krom
11-20-2009, 07:23 PM
No, there isn't, Dan. His machine can be set to Silver Magnet. :huh: :bummer: :beatdown: