PDA

View Full Version : Finally some silver amongst the IH's...

jkress
09-23-2010, 05:46 PM
With Dave in Iowa hitting some nice silver lately around here and more importantly catching up to my silver count :poke: lol ... I just had to get out and find some myself.

Got out for a little bit this morning before work for a couple of hours of swinging at the yard that has been giving up some nice Indian Heads but no silver.

I found an IH, 1886, right out of the gate and a little bit later I pulled a plug and removed a scoop of dirt and there it was... a shinny disk showing through a clump of dirt. One of my goals this year was to hit a silver coin in the 1800's. The closest I've come was a quarter dated 1900.

When I picked up the dime out of the hole, I could see it was a Barber and was hoping to finally break through the barrier into the 1800's.... not this time, 1914.

A little while later I pulled a very rough shape Merc dated 1919. As you can see the Merc had plenty of nasty on it. I used Angel's method for cleaning silver. It works well. (The pitting on the dime was there before I cleaned it.)

Not sure what the jewelry type item is. It has a small stone mounted in it.

On the way home, I stopped by a new spot and got the '57 quarter. I wished I could have stayed longer there, but unfortunately I had to get to work. :ticked:

Before cleaning...

http://homepage.mac.com/j.kress/AmericanDetectorist/pictures/picture-26.jpg

After, still rough but not as nasty...

http://homepage.mac.com/j.kress/AmericanDetectorist/pictures/picture-27.jpg

coinnut
09-23-2010, 06:09 PM
:clapping: :clapping: You got silver from there, and times two :beerbuddy: Nice group of silvers and that '17 Merc was beautiful when dropped. The soil was rough on her. Great day of digging!! :yes:

jkress
09-23-2010, 06:12 PM
The soil was rough on her. Great day of digging!! :yes:

Yeah, I pulled that one right next to the concrete. Almost all silver I get from the ground here looks pretty nice, but the few I've pulled close to concrete always seem to get that coating on them.

coinnut
09-23-2010, 06:33 PM
Yeah, I pulled that one right next to the concrete.

That explains it :ticked: I get the same results on old, washed out roads. The gravel gets them everytime :mad:

z118
09-23-2010, 07:08 PM
Congrats! I'm happy to find silver in any condition!

angellionel
09-23-2010, 07:10 PM
That is a sweet day's hunt. :clapping: Hopefully you will pick up more from where you dug up the quarter. :yes:

milco
09-23-2010, 09:06 PM
You had a good day again, congrats!

Beefcake
09-23-2010, 09:55 PM
Sweet coins! That merc didnt' clean up too bad considering how it started out. Congrats!

dave in iowa
09-23-2010, 10:07 PM
great finds Joe , out did your self , lets go there on monday morning lol ,

jkress
09-23-2010, 10:42 PM
great finds Joe , out did your self , lets go there on monday morning lol ,

..... let's do it! :peace:

tanacat
09-24-2010, 01:19 PM
Nice coins! That merc looks so much better now thumbsup01 I found a Franklin Half down next to edge of driveway pavement, lucky it didn't look like your merc lol

HEAVYMETALNUT
09-24-2010, 06:39 PM
very nice hunt for sure.you'll break into the 1800's soon! the way you are going it's gonna be real soon!