PDA

View Full Version : Large Cent Sort Of

z118
09-23-2010, 07:06 PM
I made it out Tuesday night and tonight. Both nights I hit a spot that in one hunt earlier this year gave up a Merc and a 1919 Canadian dime. I've hunted this spot several times since and turned up only wheats. I don't understand how I could score two silver in one hunt at a spot and then none since. My love-hate thing with the E-trac continues... still trying to click with it. Anyway I had not luck on Tuesday other than another wheat, and then again tonight it looked to be the same thing as I snagged nothing other than two wheats and some clad. As it was getting dark and I headed back to my car I got a junk tone, it rang in at 10-35 or thereabouts... I figured junk or cruddy zinc. I'm still mystified by the huge range zincs can fall in on the E-trac. It sounded a little big though, and kind of deep, so I dug. Flipped a big plug and there was a big green disc... I could see the figure with the crown so I knew it wasn't a US coin, and it looked like it was in pretty good shape so I was suspicious that it might not be that old. But it was too dark to really scrutinize, so I had to wait until I got home. There it is, a 1919 large Canadian cent. I found it maybe 10 feet from where the 1919 Canadian dime was. Makes me wonder...

Any thoughts on the short blunt nail with the square head? Or why a copper coin would ring up at 10-35?

happy hunting...

angellionel
09-23-2010, 07:16 PM
That Canadian large cent held up quite well. Nice find, You had a good two hunts. I imagine that location will yield more silver.

coinnut
09-23-2010, 07:19 PM
I love those Canadian Large Cents lol I wish we had kept going with our series instead of stopping at 1857. But I do love Flying Eagles and Indians too :-\ lol Nice score and some great looking buttons too. You may just not be in a spot that has a lot of silver coins. Also lack of moist ground is not good either. Some people just don't click with the E trac. I think it's been pretty good to you so far and I believe your finds are better than they were before?? I hope you can get to trusting what it is saying to you. It took me well over 6 months to get sorta comfortable with it coming from a DFX, but now I really do :smitten: it. Sometimes I wonder if it's going deep, but usually I'm just not in an area that has good deep targets.

milco
09-23-2010, 09:04 PM
Those Canadian Large Cents are very cool. I hope to find one someday!

jkress
09-23-2010, 10:49 PM
That's a sharp looking 1919 cent Z.

Congrats.

HEAVYMETALNUT
09-24-2010, 06:47 AM
sweet large cent! when i lived in upstate,ny i found quite a few of them.wish the us large cents were made of the same composition as those canuck large cents were.
congrats!

RobW
09-24-2010, 08:24 AM
You just never know what will turn up and where. Nice finds!

tanacat
09-24-2010, 01:15 PM
Very cool! :yes: I prob won't ever find one way down here in Kentucky :huh: