PDA

View Full Version : Found a rare Andrew Jackson button!

Full Metal Digger
11-08-2022, 04:04 PM
Had a great weekend detecting with Tim IllDigger, Digger Don, and Fire Fighter 43 (Jeff). Thank you, Tim, for sharing some great sites with us! This was actually my first good find of the day, but I didn't realize what I had till I got home and cleaned it up. It's an Andrew Jackson Presidential Inauguration button from March 4th, 1829! Check it out!

calabash digger
11-08-2022, 07:17 PM
Very nice!

OxShoeDrew
11-09-2022, 06:32 AM
WOW, Dave! So nothing on the front?! I don't clean or read the back of flat buttons! Now I have to read all of them :lol: So glad you guys got out together! :perfect10:

Full Metal Digger
11-09-2022, 08:07 AM
WOW, Dave! So nothing on the front?! I don't clean or read the back of flat buttons!

The front of the button is plain. It is the exact same size as a shield nickel and about as thick as a wheat penny. In fact, Jeff was standing next to me when I broke it out of the clod. He thought it might be part of a shotgun headstamp and I thought it was a wheat penny. It was only after I wiped some mud off that I saw the shank.

Bucknut
11-09-2022, 02:42 PM
Congrats on a nice historical button! A button with a date on it is pretty rare I would think.

calabash digger
11-09-2022, 09:10 PM
They are rare ...

Digger_O'Dell
11-09-2022, 09:52 PM
Awesome find! Those shield niks are hard to find too, congrats on those great saves!

The Rebel
11-10-2022, 06:57 PM
WTG on the AJ button! Why would they make something so important as a plain flat button?

OxShoeDrew
11-12-2022, 07:17 AM
Would the AJ button have his face painted on front or something like that? How would one know you're a supporter?

del
11-12-2022, 08:49 AM
WTG on the AJ button! Why would they make something so important as a plain flat button?

Would the AJ button have his face painted on front or something like that? How would one know you're a supporter?

it very well may have had a large bright decorative fabric front to it with a slogan or motto of his campaign .

Dan

BTV Digger
11-23-2022, 09:22 AM
Great find Dave! I've got one of those WHH Log Cabin campaign buttons, but have yet to score a Jacksonian variety.

John

Ill Digger
11-25-2022, 12:51 PM
Any time Dave, any time.

Man! What an outstanding find! And to find out the morning after digging it is like finding treasure twice, from the same item!
I'm so glad that we were able to get out and get on some good stuff!
Congrats again my friend!:beerbuddy:

Full Metal Digger
11-25-2022, 03:14 PM
Any time Dave, any time.

Man! What an outstanding find! And to find out the morning after digging it is like finding treasure twice, from the same item!
I'm so glad that we were able to get out and get on some good stuff!
Congrats again my friend!:beerbuddy:

Thanks Tim for sharing such a great site with me! It was definitely worth the drive. I bet if you go back to that spot you will probably find one of them also! Happy Digging!