PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Bucket List Finds

Tony Two-Cent
11-15-2022, 04:26 PM
Where have you found the most bucket list finds?

del
11-15-2022, 05:14 PM
most of my "bucket listers " have come from very very hunted out cellar hole sites

Tony Two-Cent
11-15-2022, 05:25 PM
I have found 8 items on my bucket list. Five of them came from public parks, 1 from a farm field, 2 from private yards.

OxShoeDrew
11-16-2022, 06:05 PM
You must have rare items on your bucket list, Tony.

Digger_O'Dell
11-16-2022, 11:02 PM
Most from public parks or other public property as it's probably 98% of my hunting. One item of note was to find a CW token and found it in a small remote "town" of maybe 20 people at a small triangle park at the junction of 2 roads and a tiny connector street. Had high hopes for more, but got some Karen threatening to call police if I didn't leave. My first seated coin was found in a park in central Illinois that I later found Tony and others had pounded before I hunted there. (My 2nd one was found local to me under a sidewalk slab as they were being pulled up during construction-again, missed by maybe 6 other detectorists who got there minutes before me.)
My first LC was at a church yard in an old ditch bordering what used to be an animal pasture 100 years ago. Very lucky fins as it was perfect detecting conditions and it was the faintest whisper of a signal with the 17" coil and near maximum sensitivity-dug it at almost 24" The 2nd was found at an old cemetery at the edge of the driveway just under the grass clippings.
I've had many unexpected finds that were not exactly bucket listers as I wasn't really aware of their existence, or figured they were not viable goals, but extremely happy when they did turn up. Items like a post CW token for Union veterans made from CW cannons, sailor's luck token (currently on loan to a museum), flax bale seal from Europe, Canadian LC, and Canadian half cent I wasn't aware existed.
Of course there are lots of other more common things on my bucket list that should have materialized long ago but for some reason haven't, such as a trime, 2 cent piece, or even a shield nickel. Of course still want to find that gold coin or 20 cent silver!

Lodge Scent
11-17-2022, 08:11 AM
Maybe I should write out an actual bucket list. If I was to do that today, a Vermont Landscape copper in XF condition would be at the top. ;)

Tony Two-Cent
11-17-2022, 10:10 AM
You must have rare items on your bucket list, Tony.

Here's the bucket list I made soon after getting my E-Trac in 2011. I placed them in order of most likely to find to least likely.

Items I have found are highlighted in green.

I omitted items that I will likely never find like a Twenty Cent Piece, gold coin, US flowing hair silver, Pine Tree Shilling, etc.

From a public park:
Seated Dime
Shield Nickel
Barber Half
Two Cent Piece
Seated Quarter

From a farm field:
Fatty Indian Head

From a private yard:
Half Dime
Seated Half

Bucknut
11-17-2022, 12:00 PM
I like your Bucket List Tony! Interesting that you found, as you predicted, the easier top items first so far.

Many of my bucket list coins have been from farm fields or private yards but I have found probably half of my bucket listers from parks or schools including a Spanish Real, Capped Bust Half Dime, Fatties and Flying Eagles.

But there is one coin that remains on my list that I really want to find. There was a post here about 1-2 years ago and no one commented that they had found one either...it is the ever elusive 1955 Silver Rosie Dime!

Tony Two-Cent
11-17-2022, 03:24 PM
But there is one coin that remains on my list that I really want to find. There was a post here about 1-2 years ago and no one commented that they had found one either...it is the ever elusive 1955 Silver Rosie Dime!

I remember that! I've never found one either. I posted about it here back in 2019:

http://www.americandetectorist.com/forum/showthread.php?22545-What-s-your-detecting-quot-white-whale-quot&p=229628&viewfull=1#post229628

Digger_O'Dell
11-17-2022, 09:00 PM
Since you started it Tony, here's my "unofficial" coin bucket list.

Found:

Fatty IHP (farm field)
Large Cent (field)
V nickel (yard)
Dated SLQ (scout camp)
Franklin Half Half (school/park/sidewalk)
Walker Half (park)
Seated Dime (park)
Barber Quarter (yard at farm house)

Not yet found (viable) Many of these seem to be common finds even in my area, I can't seem to hit any of them.

Flying Eagle cent
one each type LC and half cent
Two cent piece
Trime
Shield Nickel
Seated quarter
Seated half
Any gold (US) coin
CB dime, quarter, half

Not yet found (rare or not in my area and would likely have to travel to find them)

Fugio Cent
Colonial state coppers
Colonial English coppers
Flowing hair cent
Half Dime
DB dime, quarter, half
Spanish Reale
Spanish Silver and gold Cob

Fantasy Finds

$4 gold Stella
20 cent piece
Any flowing hair silver coin
Gobrecht Dollar
Gold Cob/Doubloon
gold and silver ingot (Last 2 from 1715 fleet shipwrecks)

OxShoeDrew
11-18-2022, 06:09 AM
I'm impressed at the organization of these lists! :shocked03:

Digger_O'Dell
11-18-2022, 03:16 PM
I'm impressed at the organization of these lists! :shocked03:

:lol: Have to do something in the off season!

Digger Don
11-20-2022, 11:51 AM
My firsts:
Indian Church
Fatty Court House
Large Cen Yard
Half Cent Field
Barber Dime Yard ( Oldest field )
Barber Qtr Yard
Barber Half Yard
SLQ Yard
Seated 1/2 Dime Church
Seated Dime Yard
Seated Quarter Yard
Seated Half Yard
Franklin Half Yard
Walker Yard
Trime Park
Shield Nik Yard
V Nik Park
Morgan Dollar Yard
Two Cent Yard
Canadian fish scale Yard
Woods Hibernia Field
CW Store Token Yard

Still Looking:
Any Capped Bust
Flying Eagle
Peace Dollar
Spanish Silver
Three Cent Nik
Gold Coin
Mason Jar That isn't empty!
Anything Dave found in Germany

Digger_O'Dell
11-20-2022, 11:00 PM
My firsts:
Indian Church
Fatty Court House
Large Cen Yard
Half Cent Field
Barber Dime Yard ( Oldest field )
Barber Qtr Yard
Barber Half Yard
SLQ Yard
Seated 1/2 Dime Church
Seated Dime Yard
Seated Quarter Yard
Seated Half Yard
Franklin Half Yard
Walker Yard
Trime Park
Shield Nik Yard
V Nik Park
Morgan Dollar Yard
Two Cent Yard
Canadian fish scale Yard
Woods Hibernia Field
CW Store Token Yard

Still Looking:
Any Capped Bust
Flying Eagle
Peace Dollar
Spanish Silver
Three Cent Nik
Gold Coin
Mason Jar That isn't empty!
Anything Dave found in Germany

Amazing how hard it seems to be to pull up a Flying Eagle cent, even for Don who has a nose for finding so many amazing coins. We can hunt the same yard mere feet from each other and I'll find wheaties or pull tabs while he nails IH's, Seated, and LCs.

Donnie B
11-21-2022, 12:06 PM
Very interesting and entertaining post. It's interesting that many of us share some elusive coins in common. I have been a detectorist for 25 years and have never found the following coins:

Trime
Shield Nickel
Three Cent Nickel
Classic Head Large Cent (thought I had one recently but my eyes deceived me)
Liberty Cap Large Cent (watched Dan dig one)
Flowing Hair anything
Nova Constellatio
Vermont State Copper
Zero Gold Coins

Finally crossed a Capped Bust Dime off the list a few weeks ago that was five minutes from my house.
And, everyone knows that I dug up a Pine Tree Shilling a few years ago thanks to Dan and his nose for cellar holes.

OxShoeDrew
11-22-2022, 10:44 AM
I'd like to find a Pine Tree like Donnie,
gold coin
mourning jewelry
3 cent nickel
Silver Buckle
Peace Dollar
Civil War token
Russian Kopek

I find most stuff at cellar holes and adjacent fields.

BTV Digger
11-23-2022, 09:30 AM
In my years of detecting - which is only about 10 at this point, I've been lucky to find many great relics and old coins both here and across the pond in England and France. There's still some, which haven't graced my coil yet though. Bucket listers - well those change through the years. Some old coins I don't even bother listing as a bucket lister since the odds of finding one are so rare. Any draped bust silver comes to mind, or a Wreath Cent. So for me, I try and have a few which my coil should come across in the future and are a reasonable ask for the metal detecting gods. Those would be -

Seated Quarter (I've seen two dug within 20 feet of me) - #1 on my list
NY Nova Eborac Copper
Turtle with Box Hard Times Token
Capped Bust Half Dime (I've got 2 full Capped Bust Dimes to my credit)

John