PDA

View Full Version : Estate Sale Finds

fyrffytr1
01-13-2023, 05:02 PM
I went to an estate sale with my wife this morning and bought several books and a Notebook. When I opened the notebook the title page read "Confederate States of America paper money". I thumbed through it and thought it was empty until I got to one page. There were six notes on the page. I took it and my other purchases to the cashier and ended up paying $4.00 for it and $4.00 each for the other hardback books I bought.
Here are the six notes. All are plain back except the $5.00 Mechanics Savings & Loan Association one. It has partial $2.00 and $3.00 notes on the back. I am pretty sure they are real.

fyrffytr1
01-13-2023, 05:04 PM
Four More.

Digger_O'Dell
01-13-2023, 05:40 PM
Wow, that's an amazing find!

The history of Confederate money is pretty intense as well since they had nothing to back up their currency but empty promises, hence the old saying about being worthless as a Confederate dollar. Coinage was none other than the gold they seized from the Southern mints when they seceded, minting US coins with it until they ran out of the silver and gold previously stocked at the mints. I added the link below for a pretty good read if anyone is interested.

https://www.money.org/blog/ConfederateCoinsMeisky

fyrffytr1
01-13-2023, 07:00 PM
Thanks for the reply and link. We need a "like" button.

Digger Don
01-14-2023, 09:47 AM
Very cool indeed. Those would be great addition to any collection!

The Rebel
01-14-2023, 04:59 PM
Great score!