PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Coppers/UPDATED

RobW
09-24-2010, 08:09 AM
After a lot of experimenting and reading how other people try cleaning coppers, I have come up with my own method which has good results. I have used it on Large Cents, Indians and Wheats. Does not fix corrosion, but if the date is there, you will get it. It also generally keeps the coins patina.
Materials:
1) Small Bowl
2) Toothbrush (one you DON'T plan on using again)
3) Soda ( I prefer a lemon Lime so that you can observe the coin and see the progress)(UPDATE: SIERRA MIST works best)
4) Olive Oil

Method:
1) Clean the coin in warm soapy water and scrub with toothbrush, then dry coin off

2) Place coin in small bowl and pour the soda in it. You will notice bubbbles forming on the coin. Let set for about 4 hours. Remove coin, give a scubbing with the toothbrush. This process will need to be repeated depending oncondition of the coin and will also have to be repeated for the other side of the coin. Do not forget about the coin...you have heard that myth about soda dissolving a penny....kinda true, but not completely. So long as you do not leave it in for too long and keep tabs on it, you will be ok.....Disclaimer.....I have no liability and guarantee no success of your endevor (sorry attorney in me)

3) Remove coin and dry off after achiving desired result. It may not get off all corrosion.

4) You will notice that the coin feels dry, and may have a bit of a silvery look to it....that's ok, the generally come out of the ground pretty dry anyways, as the soil has sucked the oils out.

5) Clean and dry the bowl...or use another (my wife hates me dirtying too many things) place the coin in the bowl and pour olive oil in the bowl, just enough to cover it. Let it set for days. Every day or so pull the coin out and massage the oil into the coin. This restores the oils back into the coin. What gives coins their patina is the oils from peoples hands. Do this until you reach your desired look. I find that it varies from 2 days to a week.

RobW
09-24-2010, 08:48 AM
FYI: The Before pic was taken after washing and scrubbing with warm soapy water. Still could not get a date.

After cleaning, it was a very visible 1947.

Sorry the pics are so bad, they were taken with my phone, my wife broke our camera by dropping it at The Big E this past weekend.

greg
01-08-2011, 10:09 AM
Never tryed that Thanks

Carver
01-13-2011, 08:44 AM
Wow,,,that looks good thumbsup01 thumbsup01

RobW
05-11-2011, 08:22 AM
UPDATE:

I have since experimented more with this method. I have tried other sodas, and have found that for some reason Sierra Mist works the BEST. I had alwyas used it b/c it's what my wife drinks, so it's always around, but have tried other sodas in a pinch and they require more soaking and do not get all of the corrosion off, but Sierra Mist will. It sometimes does require changing out every few hours and you will notice that the soda will turn GREEN.

Bell-Two
05-11-2011, 04:35 PM
I see you are using Diet Sierra Mist do you think that makes a difference?

RobW
05-12-2011, 07:15 AM
I see you are using Diet Sierra Mist do you think that makes a difference?

Have not tried diet v. regular. But I have tried other brands of lemon/lime and none have worked as good.

Bell-Two
05-19-2011, 04:53 PM
Tried it still can't get a date but it didn't hurt it.

tanacat
06-09-2011, 11:03 AM
I will try the Sierra Mist- thanks! I usually use hydrogen peroxide. I experimented with leaving some wheats in baking soda overnight and it really leached them out, they turned pink!

RobW
06-10-2011, 08:12 AM
I will try the Sierra Mist- thanks! I usually use hydrogen peroxide. I experimented with leaving some wheats in baking soda overnight and it really leached them out, they turned pink!

Soak them in olive oil on each side for a few days and see what happens to the pinkies thumbsup01

Mudder
07-13-2011, 05:21 AM
|:confused:) Will give this a try. Thanks for the tip.

CODY
10-14-2011, 10:53 PM
I will try this as I am getting quite a collection of wheats. Thanks.

Jason in Enid
10-15-2011, 10:22 AM
While your cleaning method looks pretty good, I have to say that there are not any oils in metal. No metal plancets at the mint have oils in them. The olive oil may do a job help show details in the coin as well helping prevent oxidation, but it's not replacing anything in the coin.