PDA

View Full Version : Late post - Finds from my 1 solo hunt this year in early January

BTV Digger
02-20-2023, 03:51 PM
Hi all,

Just getting around to posting this here. Given the mild winter, I actually had a chance to detect in early January here in the North Country. Such a rarity. I probably could've gone out today as well with virtually no snow left here in the valley right now. However, it would've been a muck fest, so I'll let the juices simmer for another 5-6 weeks or so before heading out. We have more snow in the forecast later this week anyway. This was a solid, productive hunt for me, hitting 1 new, and 1 old permission site. Topping the list are the 2 NY State Militia buttons, an 1839 Seated Half Dime, and a worn 1814 Wellington Token. Some buttons and other doo-dads rounded off the day. Thanks for looking, and as always, you can also find my finds and other snapshots of non-metal detecting life on my IG channel under the same handle.

John

Digger_O'Dell
02-20-2023, 08:18 PM
Lots of great finds! Love that half dime, which is also near the top of my bucket list. I had to look up the Wellington token as I've never heard of that one before. Canadian half penny-really cool! Good luck on the next hunts, I'm sure there has to be lots more where those came from. Congrats on a fine hunt!

Full Metal Digger
02-21-2023, 01:12 PM
Great finds but the buttons are worthless. You should send them to me! LOL!

Lodge Scent
02-21-2023, 05:51 PM

Some NICE digs there John. I agree with FMD regarding the buttons. I will one up him though and cover the postage costs for you to send them to me instead. ;)

OxShoeDrew
02-21-2023, 07:07 PM
Amazing, especially those buttons...and such good shape. They look like they have very large shanks. What's that cut thing? Huge congrats!

Bucknut
02-22-2023, 03:25 PM
Wow those buttons are so well preserved! and I love that Seated Half dime! Congrats!

My mom found a Wellington token up in northern Michigan a few years ago...1815 I think.

fyrffytr1
02-23-2023, 04:15 PM
Now that's what I call a great hunt. I have about two months left to hunt down here before the fields get planted and it gets hot.

BTV Digger
02-24-2023, 11:52 AM
Lots of great finds! Love that half dime, which is also near the top of my bucket list. I had to look up the Wellington token as I've never heard of that one before. Canadian half penny-really cool! Good luck on the next hunts, I'm sure there has to be lots more where those came from. Congrats on a fine hunt!

Thanks! I'm sure there is.

Haha - how are you Dave? Sure - I'll send them to you. How about a trade for one of your bronze age spears, or cannonballs? :)

Some NICE digs there John. I agree with FMD regarding the buttons. I will one up him though and cover the postage costs for you to send them to me instead. ;)

Hmmm? I'll have to think about that one. :thinkingabout:

Amazing, especially those buttons...and such good shape. They look like they have very large shanks. What's that cut thing? Huge congrats!

Thanks Drew. Cut thing is a large, blank brass half disk of some sort - worthless.

Wow those buttons are so well preserved! and I love that Seated Half dime! Congrats!

My mom found a Wellington token up in northern Michigan a few years ago...1815 I think.

Thanks Jared!

Now that's what I call a great hunt. I have about two months left to hunt down here before the fields get planted and it gets hot.

About 6 weeks until the snow finally melts up here and I can detect again! Haha.

The Rebel
02-24-2023, 08:28 PM
Great hunts! Yea the weather is going to get nasty Mon/Tues.

wisconsin digger
02-27-2023, 04:22 PM
Nice finds and Thx for posting. Looking forward to getting out in 2023 WD

Digger Don
02-28-2023, 07:34 PM
Wow, what a great bunch of finds. Congrats. I dug that same excelsior eagle button in a corn field here in Illinois. :congrats:

Fire Fighter 43
03-18-2023, 01:47 PM
Great variety of finds John, WTG!

CTTodd
03-23-2023, 08:38 AM
well done you. Great start to the year