PDA

View Full Version : My Finds from England Arrived Today!

Full Metal Digger
03-15-2023, 08:52 PM
Hello friends,
Last year I received an invitation from our very own Ill Digger (Tim) to go to England for 7 days of metal detecting heaven! Our group would also include Fire Fighter 43 (Jeff) and BTV Digger (John). It was great to finally meet Jeff and John after all these years of seeing their posts on this forum! The trip was scheduled for the first week of October. The weather was amazing (especially for England), and we only had a little bit of rain on one day. Everything we find while detecting in England must be turned in to the Finds Liaison Officer (FLO) to be evaluated and cataloged. Once it is determined our finds are not classified as "treasure," we receive an export license with photographs of all the finds. The export license is signed by the Arts Council of England and is our proof that we can legally remove the items from England. The process can last anywhere from a few months to 2 years or more. Mine took 6 months this time. Surprisingly, my finds were valued at a whopping £70 ($84)! Thank you very much Tim for the invite. I had a great time and look forward to our next adventures!

Here are some pics of my better finds.

wisconsin digger
03-16-2023, 03:59 AM
More items for your museum exhibits. Still amazed by those displays. Congrats on your finds and thx for posting. WD

Tony Two-Cent
03-16-2023, 08:06 AM
Yay! I'm glad it didn't take two years! It's fortunate that they didn't decide to keep any of it.

The coins and buttons are very cool but that Roman key is off the charts! That thing is incredible! :thumbsup02:

I can't wait to see your museum in person someday!

Bucknut
03-16-2023, 08:34 AM
That is awesome! So I guess that they did not keep any of your finds?

OxShoeDrew
03-16-2023, 01:24 PM
I could kick myself for not going on that trip! :girlcry: Oh well, it was a different world a few years back. Do you know what type of finds would get "treasure" designation? I'd call most of yours "treasure!" I can't make out what happened to that coin to make it a love token. What's on there? Thanks, and huge congrats!!!

del
03-17-2023, 09:01 AM
What a nice group of finds Dave , when is your next trip out that way ?

I could kick myself for not going on that trip! :girlcry:

#ME TOO .... Drew

Full Metal Digger
03-17-2023, 02:27 PM
More items for your museum exhibits. Still amazed by those displays. Congrats on your finds and thx for posting. WD

Thanks, I'm going to make a frame just of my England finds. I got (stole) the idea from Tim.

Yay! I'm glad it didn't take two years! It's fortunate that they didn't decide to keep any of it.

The coins and buttons are very cool but that Roman key is off the charts! That thing is incredible! :thumbsup02:

I can't wait to see your museum in person someday!

Open invitation Tony!

That is awesome! So I guess that they did not keep any of your finds?

They mostly like to keep the gold stuff!

I could kick myself for not going on that trip! :girlcry: Oh well, it was a different world a few years back. Do you know what type of finds would get "treasure" designation? I'd call most of yours "treasure!" I can't make out what happened to that coin to make it a love token. What's on there? Thanks, and huge congrats!!!

Thanks Drew, it would have been cool if you were there too! The love token is bent in a certain way. I'll do a separate post about that since it was a bucket list item for me.

What a nice group of finds Dave , when is your next trip out that way ?
#ME TOO .... Drew

Thanks Del,
Tim (Ill Digger) and I are going to England and Germany in late April! We are meeting our friend and he will take us to some of his permissions north of London, then we are off to Germany for 7 days of detecting with my buddies. We've rented a house up in the mountains and it will be a blast!

Fire Fighter 43
03-18-2023, 01:23 PM
You made some great finds Dave. It was a pleasure to finally meet and hunt with you. I made a friend for life buddy and I can’t wait until we go on another big adventure. Good luck in Germany and I will expect daily updates from you and Tim.