PDA

View Full Version : Nothing much today.

fyrffytr1
03-26-2023, 09:21 PM
It was a good day spent with good friends. 1854 shield nickel 1904 Indian head and a New York staff officer cuff button with a Scovill backmark.

Tony Two-Cent
03-27-2023, 07:37 AM
Doesn't look like "nothing much" to me! You should see my "nothing much" hunts! :lol:

Could the Shield Nickel be 1867? (They didn't start making them until 1866.) My eyes aren't what they used to be but it looks like the last digit is a 7.

Congrats on the three keepers! I would take results like that any day, and time spent with friends is always a nice bonus. :yes:

fyrffytr1
03-27-2023, 02:23 PM
Doesn't look like "nothing much" to me! You should see my "nothing much" hunts! :lol:

Could the Shield Nickel be 1867? (They didn't start making them until 1866.) My eyes aren't what they used to be but it looks like the last digit is a 7.

Congrats on the three keepers! I would take results like that any day, and time spent with friends is always a nice bonus. :yes:

Very possible. I couldn't make out the date, one of my hunting buddies did. I just used my digital microscope to get a better picture of the date but it is already gone! I even applied a few coats of renaissance wax to it last night but these coins are bad about deteriorating after they come out of the ground. So. now it is a no date shield nickel!

Digger_O'Dell
03-27-2023, 07:07 PM
Great finds! I agree, those would make for a great hunt in my area! As for the date, I played with the photo a bit with contrast and brightness. It looks very much like an 1867.

fyrffytr1
03-27-2023, 08:32 PM
Great finds! I agree, those would make for a great hunt in my area! As for the date, I played with the photo a bit with contrast and brightness. It looks very much like an 1867.
Thanks for your input. 1867 it is. If anyone wants to dispute that I will send them to you!:lol:

OxShoeDrew
03-28-2023, 04:20 AM
Excellent! Could that button be CW related? Is that a layer of crud on it that could come off, or is that the actual button? Congrats on a fun day!! :congrats:

fyrffytr1
03-28-2023, 10:01 AM
Excellent! Could that button be CW related? Is that a layer of crud on it that could come off, or is that the actual button? Congrats on a fun day!! :congrats:

That was how they came out of the ground. The button cleaned up a little bit and I was able to determine that the backmark reads "Scovill Mfg Co./ Waterbury/ State of New York". That dates it post 1870.

OxShoeDrew
03-28-2023, 10:04 AM
Nice cleaning job! I wonder what that was doing down there.?

fyrffytr1
03-28-2023, 01:22 PM
Four of us hunt this site and have pulled many buttons from it. Different spots give us different period relics. One spot produces pre-war and CW stuff while another spot gives up post war to early 1900s stuff.
My finds Sunday came from the second spot. I have no idea how the stuff ended up here unless they were part of a button collection.