PDA

View Full Version : Only 1 keeper today, but she's a beauty!

Digger_O'Dell
04-13-2023, 03:16 PM
Hey all, hope you've all been hunting well!

I finally got out for about 90 minutes this morning enjoying our first warm weather finally. I decided to hit a spot that's only about 2 blocks from home, which is the location of a CW muster ground, CW cemetery, and a tiny 1 room chapel/church. The chapel was moved backwards onto the lot decades ago to expand the road another 3 plus lanes, and being right on a main road of course the place was pounded to death long before I ever started to detect. This being the case, I didn't expect to find much other than the usual can slaw, siding trimmings, and other trash.

So for the most part I was right. Lots of near surface trash, lots of nails, etc. so I kept it slow and steady with close swing patterns. On one swing amid the heavy iron I got a slight peep at the edge of a nail type signal. I figured it was probably falsing, but it was repeatable in one direction and the screen of the CTX did show 2 signals at 7-8 inches. So I popped big deep plug and probed around, finding roundness. I knocked the dirt off and was floored to see only my 3rd ever seated dime, and she was in the best condition of them all! Here's my 1877 seated dime - the photos just don't do it justice! Thanks for reading, and happy hunting!

Tony Two-Cent
04-13-2023, 03:40 PM
Wow, that is a beauty! :loveit:

It just goes to show you that no site is ever truly "hunted out" no matter how many times it's been detected.

Huge congrats on the 146-year-old shiny keeper! :perfect10:

Digger_O'Dell
04-13-2023, 04:30 PM
Wow, that is a beauty! :loveit:

It just goes to show you that no site is ever truly "hunted out" no matter how many times it's been detected.

Thanks Tony! I learned that early on when I unknowingly hit a central Illinois park that I later found out that you and others had heavily pounded. Yet you were nice enough to leave me a seated dime and a handful of Victorian era jewelry and other relics. But I do believe there are some places that are truly hunted out, such as one church yard I worked for about a year where I've removed every signal in the entire yard-every nail, every pull tab, etc. Not even a peep with the big coil at max sensitivity.

The Rebel
04-13-2023, 05:15 PM
Man, that's a stunning find! Looks like it was dropped yesterday. 1877 the Great Railroad Strike & the Molly McGuires.

del
04-13-2023, 05:20 PM
Great looking seated ! congrats DOD

Danny

OxShoeDrew
04-13-2023, 05:39 PM
Awesome, Chris!! Sounds like it was your first trip there, and only 2 blocks from home? New permission? Keep it up!!

wisconsin digger
04-13-2023, 05:54 PM
Great find in great condition. It's nice we finally got some decent weather. Good luck the rest of the year. Thx for posting Wd

Digger_O'Dell
04-13-2023, 07:11 PM
Thanks everyone!

Awesome, Chris!! Sounds like it was your first trip there, and only 2 blocks from home? New permission? Keep it up!!

Drew, I have been there a few times and come away empty handed other than a spoon, which may have been CW soldier gear, but no way to tell. Other than that, just the usual trash. But thought I would give it one more try and go REALLY slow through the iron-and it paid off! Yeah, I'll be headed back too.

Lodge Scent
04-14-2023, 10:06 AM
Very nice! I haven't seen one of those come out of the ground in a long time.

Donnie B
04-15-2023, 08:31 AM
Great find! Love that old silver.

Cheap Thrills
04-15-2023, 08:31 PM
Excellent! Congratulations!

Digger Don
04-16-2023, 05:53 PM
Great job Chris, It's in great condition too.:congrats:

Bucknut
04-17-2023, 06:23 PM
What a beauty!!!

badgers325
04-18-2023, 01:35 PM
Congrats Chris! Have yet to find seated in WI. Someday!!

Digger_O'Dell
04-18-2023, 01:50 PM
Congrats Chris! Have yet to find seated in WI. Someday!!

I've only found 2 in Wi, this one and a smoothie under a sidewalk tear out. I also found 1 other seated dime (my first one), but that was in central Illinois at a park that Tony and friends pounded over the years. That one was pretty rough as well.