PDA

View Full Version : First finds with the Manticore

Bucknut
05-05-2023, 08:05 AM
Just a quick post here. The majority of the finds below were with my new Manticore. This is a fun machine and I am quickly learning it. I only have 15-20 hours on the Manticore so far and probably about the same with the Equinox 900.

I would like to say that both the Manticore and the 900 are much deeper than the 800. I have a simple test garden with a Jeff Nickel and a clad dime at 10 inches and a clad quarter at 12. It is by my barn so there is some iron in the area and I have an electric fence 5 ft away. I could barely hear these coins with my eTrac (Ultimate 15" Coil) and with the deus I. I never heard then with the Equinox 800 even with the big coil. But the 900 hits these coins with the stock decently but the Manticore hits them loud and proud and I had the sensitivity set at 18 on a scale that goes up to 35.

Currently I am up at my cottage and I have had an epic week! So much trade silver from the 1700's...I am so spoiled! I will be posting all of these once I get home.

Thanks for looking
Jared

Tony Two-Cent
05-05-2023, 08:17 AM
Wow! Very impressive results with the Manticore! I am curious, how accurate is the target ID and the depth gauge?

I can't wait to see the rest of your finds. Great post, Jared!

Tony Two-Cent
05-05-2023, 08:35 AM
And my local dealer just posted this on Facebook. The temptation!

Bucknut
05-05-2023, 08:51 AM
Wow! Very impressive results with the Manticore! I am curious, how accurate is the target ID and the depth gauge?

I can't wait to see the rest of your finds. Great post, Jared!

I think the TID is just as accurate as any Minelab. The deeper the target or the more contaminated or mineralized the ground is the more "off" the TID is. It can false just like any Minelab too...especially on those square nails or bent nails. BUT the 2D screen does give some clues as to what the target really is.

The depth gauge is good. BUT if the target is super small then it will show that it is deeper than what it actually is. I think all detectors are like that.

Tony Two-Cent
05-05-2023, 09:02 AM
I think the TID is just as accurate as any Minelab. The deeper the target or the more contaminated or mineralized the ground is the more "off" the TID is. It can false just like any Minelab too...especially on those square nails or bent nails. BUT the 2D screen does give some clues as to what the target really is.

The depth gauge is good. BUT if the target is super small then it will show that it is deeper than what it actually is. I think all detectors are like that.

Good to know. Thanks!

Full Metal Digger
05-05-2023, 01:59 PM
VERY impressive results! Well done sir. Let me know if you want to make any trades (medieval for early American)!

Digger_O'Dell
05-05-2023, 10:05 PM
Those are some great finds for sure! What I'm really curious about now is a side by side performance test between the Manticore and the CTX 3030.

wisconsin digger
05-06-2023, 02:46 AM
Nice finds. Congrats on the recoveries with the new machine. WD