PDA

View Full Version : platinum engagement ring, trime (long)

randy
09-25-2010, 04:06 PM
I followed up on a lost and found ad regarding a platinum engagement ring. Turns out the owner threw it, and wasn't really sure how far or in what direction. I hunted for it for 3.5 hours yesterday in the heat with no luck, even passing up silver signals as I was only looking for surface low tones to save time, tho I did dig one merc for myself that was too shallow and too good sounding to pass up.

This morning I decided to give it one more go, as it turns out the owner's place happened to be near our MD club's seeded hunt and get together. After another hour and a half, managed to finally score the ring with only 20 minutes left before I had to go. This was a really good feeling to return the ring. Owner asked not to post picture or how much it was worth, but to me it was life changing money. I felt good about that, and was happy to score a merc for my trouble as well as a nice reward, which I half-heartedly tried to refuse, but after 5 hours in the heat, seemed like good karma all around to accept.

The ring rang up as CO 07 on the ET, which seemed quite low, as it was rather large.

The seeded hunt was at a member's old farmhouse dating back to the early 1800s where he said he had eyeball finds of a large cent and V nickel on the property when he moved in. Sounded good to me. I'm not really a big fan of seeded hunts except for the social aspect and the prospect of scoring natural old targets on the property.

Anyway, I brought the V3 out for the seeded hunt, as it seems better for fast picking of shallow easy targets. After picking off a few of the planted targets, and then not getting squat for a while, someone else reported finding a pair of silver quarters. At that point I decided to switch to the E-Trac and work near the area of those quarters -- this site was hard, I was rarely getting a threshold due to all the iron, but eventually got a real dicey signal at CO 33 after a null, and decided to dig, and it turned out to be an 1853 silver three cent piece :happydance01: at about 5 inches, my second oldest American silver. This was a natural dig and not part of the seeded hunt. This was a nice score for the E-Trac, as there could have been several coils going over that target as it was in prime hunting ground for the seeded targets.

Also managed to score a 8R Spanish silver as a door prize, so all and all a nice day of diverse stuff. Hopefully everyone else's weekend is as enjoyable.

z118
09-25-2010, 05:09 PM
Sweet digs, and good work on the ring. My mother's ring befell the same fate actually... being thrown I mean. You have to know my parents I guess. lol I spent some time looking for it but my mother's details were a bit hazy and I had no luck.

HEAVYMETALNUT
09-25-2010, 08:04 PM
very nice day out to say the least.kharma came right back atcha in a super positive way thumbsup01

del
09-25-2010, 08:25 PM
hey Randy congrats on finding the ring :peace: that was a great thing you did :clapping: :cheering: :clapping: and very nice trime and reale . thumbsup01

angellionel
09-25-2010, 08:29 PM
Very nice write up, Randy, and sweeeet three cent silver! :drool: :drool: That Spanish silver is nice too! :cheesysmile:

coinnut
09-25-2010, 11:04 PM
That's an all around perfect hunt. :clapping: Nothing went wrong and you even scored some BIG silver and mini silver too :clapping: Great day!!