PDA

View Full Version : Making Acrylic Display Stands

Full Metal Digger
06-03-2023, 10:46 PM
Hello friends,
I've been experimenting with making my own acrylic display stands. I bought the supplies on Amazon and just use super glue to connect the pieces. I started with simple displays for my spurs. Each of the acrylic columns has to be cut to a specific height and then a notch cut that perfectly matches that part of the spur. Here are the first two displays I made. What do you think? Thanks for your comments and happy digging! Dave.

OxShoeDrew
06-04-2023, 05:15 AM
Wow, Dave! How creative and well realized! Nice job!

Full Metal Digger
06-04-2023, 06:31 PM
Wow, Dave! How creative and well realized! Nice job!
Thanks, Drew! I appreciate the kind words. I think these displays look nice and it keeps the relics up and off the shelf.

Tony Two-Cent
06-05-2023, 07:16 AM
Those look great, Dave! You really ARE creating your own museum, aren't you. Is there a turnstyle at your front door?

Full Metal Digger
06-05-2023, 12:11 PM
Is there a turnstyle at your front door?
No, just the one to my bedroom! Lol!

Jeff (or)
06-05-2023, 12:43 PM
Very very nice! Excellent idea, thank you for sharing.

Jeff

Digger_O'Dell
06-05-2023, 02:17 PM
Those look great! You can also shave and deburr the edges to get a cleaner look, or to even add a chamfer. The deburring tool has options for a variety of knife edges for various shapes. Another trick is to use a torch to just slightly melt the cut edges to remove the frosted/opaque plastic and make it clear again. Make sure to practice (a lot) on some scrap pieces before trying it on final presentation pieces. It's really easy to chew up edges if overdoing it with the deburring tool, and the triangle knife takes some practice. Torch work does a beautiful job, but can be touchy. Too much can cause the edges to burn and it happens very quickly. But if done right, the results are night and day.

Here's a link to a Wiki-how article with a similar approach to polishing acrylic, including flame polishing.
https://www.wikihow.com/Polish-Acrylic

badgers325
06-26-2023, 09:31 AM
Looks awesome. I wish I had an artistic bone in my body.