PDA

View Full Version : AM Hunt

OxShoeDrew
06-05-2023, 11:41 AM
My Old Cellar Hole Tour '23 is in high gear and targets were jumping off the cellar hole lip and into my pouch. The dandy was found in the fields. I'm amazed such large targets are still left at public cellar holes. The crotal has JS on it, and the RR tag still has the leather on it. I have yet to search what RR it is or read what's on the back.
Thanks!

OxShoeDrew
06-05-2023, 12:30 PM
N R R. Closter. 46.
Must be Norfolk Railroad, or New York RR and Closter NJ? No idea.
I wonder why railroad tags are found at cellar holes in tiny towns miles from railways.

Digger_O'Dell
06-05-2023, 02:22 PM
Nice finds. I'm thinking the tag may be a baggage tag. I would assume they were re-used for round trips, added and removed by the baggage handlers. My guess is not all were removed post trip and probably just tossed by the baggage owner once home.

The Rebel
06-05-2023, 06:30 PM
That's awesome Drew! Love that RR Baggage Tag! Did you find the 2nd one as well or did you just show it to compare to the 1st one?

OxShoeDrew
06-06-2023, 03:41 AM
You're probs right, Chris. A friend of mine just showed the only one he found but it is from the 1850s!! So early for RRs.
Roger, that's the back, I posted a 3rd pic of it after I moved the leather strap and cleaned it. Thanks!

OxShoeDrew
06-06-2023, 11:19 AM
Same hole produced these today...and another of those grommetty things. Lots of other stuff too, like harmonica reed, shells, horse rivets etc.
Oddly, that's not the town the tag was found in, that dog got around :lol:

del
06-06-2023, 04:10 PM
Great stuff Drew , sorry we couldn't get together last weekend .

Dan

The Rebel
06-06-2023, 06:27 PM
Hey Drew, here's a cool site on RR Tags, lots of info here:

Railroad Baggage Tags - Railroadiana Online (http://www.railroadiana.org/hw/pgBaggageTags.php)

OxShoeDrew
06-07-2023, 04:49 AM
Thanks, guys...Message me when you're available, Dan. Thanks so much for that info, Roger. I was reading there that it could be Naugatuck RR. I hope so as my family has some history with that RR. I used to take a line from Norwalk to Danbury to go to college, I forget what that line was called.

Lodge Scent
06-07-2023, 08:07 PM
That's pretty amazing you can pull a crotal bell from the lip Drew. What Reactivity are you using ?

OxShoeDrew
06-08-2023, 05:05 AM
Thanks, Jeff, I have "the program" :lol: set to 2 reactivity but I change it on the fly. Example, at this site one side of the hole is so trashy I bumped it up to 4, I also go back over the spots I first used in 2.
Question for you, if the site still has high conductors do you also try the Fast program before using the modified General?

Full Metal Digger
06-09-2023, 03:23 PM
Some really nice relics you found, Drew! I like the JS crotal bell of course!

The Rebel
06-09-2023, 05:30 PM
It's called the Danbury Line. My oldest friend from 7th grade used to work for Providence and Wooster RR. They'd run up that line. Back in HS we took a Bud car to and from Danbury. On the way home we hit a tree that had fallen over the tracks. We hit the tree at about 55 mph.

The engineer thru the breaks and said hang on tight. It was like a roller coaster ride until we came to a stop. There was a hill on our left and a bridge in front of us. Had we derailed on the left side we might have have rolled down the hill.

OxShoeDrew
06-10-2023, 02:21 PM
Thanks, Dave! I'd have to say I love the crotal but in this area that luggage tag is Da Bomb! :lol:

OMG!!! Roger...that must have been SCARY! I wasn't sure what a "Budd car" was so I googled it...wow I learn something everyday here...In Norwalk I recall all the trains being electric, and we should NEVER go near the 3rd rail...but the Danbury Line was not electric, so maybe there were Budd Cars...I don't remember...My first thought was that a Bud car was a bar car...:lol:

Lodge Scent
06-10-2023, 06:27 PM
Thanks, Jeff, I have "the program" :lol: set to 2 reactivity but I change it on the fly. Example, at this site one side of the hole is so trashy I bumped it up to 4, I also go back over the spots I first used in 2.
Question for you, if the site still has high conductors do you also try the Fast program before using the modified General?

I haven't used the Fast program in ages Drew. For no other reason than being too busy trying other approaches.