PDA

View Full Version : More Love Than Hate

z118
09-25-2010, 07:31 PM
The love-hate thing with the E-Trac continues... The ground is pretty dry around here so I opted for some tot lot hunting with the Compadre & Tracker this morning, but no real luck. So I got out again in the afternoon for a short hunt and hit a local spot with the E-trac, hoping for a silver coin. I wound up with four Rosies and a nice silver ring, plus three wheats and two older nickels along with a bit of clad. I don't know what to think about this dang E-trac! It's like that girl that you know is right for you but you just don't want to marry, if that makes sense. I like the finds I'm making and I'm doing great with silver but I still have no clue what I'm digging for the most part. I'm probably digging more money in scrap iron than I am in clad. Lord only knows how you find gold with this thing. And I still don't like all the options.

There was a spark of hope today when I got a tone that was just different... a little more fluid or something than a regular tone. I thought to myself okay, this is silver thinking dime of course. I pulled the plug and it was the silver ring. Still got me excited. I guessed silver a few other times but they were all just deep wheats or Lincolns.

A while later I got what I would call a thump, sort of that short low bump kind of noise the E-trac makes when it's bouncing around over a signal in between tones. But there was no tone, just the thump. The numbers were still showing 12-42 or something after the thump. I could not work up a signal except for the shortest of chirps in one direction, but the numbers stayed right around the same spot. I was in auto and the sensitivity showed 26. I switched to manual at 26, and now I got a very faint and very low nice coin tone. So I pulled a big plug and the signal was still in hole, dug a bunch more out of the bottom of the plug and out pops a silver Rosie. It could not have been too deep... maybe 6 or so. I would say thiat it was on edge except that 6 away I repeated the exact same routine on another signal and this time it was a Lincoln laying flat at 6 tops. I have no idea why either did not give good signals. There was not signal or nulling over the area after I removed the coins. Also, it really seems like I get a lot more variation in tone volume when I'm in manual that I do in auto. In auto all tones seem to be the same volume but in manual I get a lot of faint tones.

Anyway, I'm going to go ahead and just shut up now about the E-trac. I can't argue with 4 silvers and a ring in one hunt in dry dirt, even if they are all Rosies, and even if none were tremendously deep. For all my complaining I'm doing alright I guess. I'll just keep digging and see what happens! I also think getting together with someone else swinging an E-trac will help quite a bit. I just want to make sure mine is acting the way it's supposed to and maybe get a little first hand perspective too.

Happy hunting...

HEAVYMETALNUT
09-25-2010, 08:01 PM
well ya know these minelab guys are gonna be all over this one! :boxing:
awesome day out for sure!

angellionel
09-25-2010, 08:34 PM
That E-Trac is going to drive you nuts one way or another, but you can't argue with the results. lol Nice hunt, Z. thumbsup01

coinnut
09-25-2010, 10:59 PM
well ya know these minelab guys are gonna be all over this one! :boxing:

lol lol He's in love :smitten: he just doesn't know it. One day he's gonna dig a 12-26 signal and out will pop the ring lol All you will need Z is a Justice of the Peace ;) Try and get together with someone, tag some targets, make sure you are running the exact settings and see what happens. Each machine may respond a bit different, but should be close. Watch and make sure you are swinging with the same technique as the other person. I know for me, in some areas 6-7 (are we counting the grass? :thinkingabout:) is the max I can get due to EMI (silent or not). Some areas are just hard on any machine. The fact that you even found that many silvers leads me to believe that others had issues there as well. A great hunt and the E Trac pulls silver again :clapping:

kenfen
09-25-2010, 11:01 PM
Funny, I've not found a ton of silver yet, actually, I've had no time to detect, but when I have, I've been finding deep targets. Clad coins 7 & 8 inches down... blows my mind, but it's just there's coins all over the place in the park.

I'm just as happy as can be with the depth. It's just a matter of time before silver comes my way!

I love my E-Trac. Great hunt you had. Show the girl some love....LOL

Kind Regards, Ken

randy
09-26-2010, 06:34 AM
One way or the other, it looks like the silver is coming out of the ground with that E-Trac :smitten: :bangahead01: :smitten: :bangahead01:

jkress
09-26-2010, 07:23 AM
Glad to see the scales are tipping towards the love side.

That is a very nice pile of silver there.

I know the feeling of wondering what's going to come out of the hole sometimes. Often enough for me, if I get a good repeatable signal I pull out my digger and say, surprise me.

Congrats Z and hang in there.