PDA

View Full Version : Boston Silver

angellionel
09-25-2010, 09:13 PM
I had been thinking about taking a drive to New York to check out some parks out that way, but then I changed my mind and decided to head to Boston instead.

This was my first time hitting any of the parks out there. I was curious to see what I would be able to dig up from them. I arrived at a park I had already selected, a relatively small one, but with enough ground to keep me more than busy for a while. But the park is riddled with an abundance of surface trash. It kept me busy filtering through the noise. By the time I had to leave I had a slight headache, but I also had in my pouch 18 silver coins. :happydance01: I also dug up a 1806 copper, which I haven't yet identified, as well as a 1901 Boston Evacuation Day commemorative medal.

I was thrilled to see the Standing Liberty quarter had not only a full date, but a mintmark as well. :happydance01:

http://www.angellionel.com/myfinds/2010/September/silverquarters_092510.jpg

Eleven mercury dimes. The 1916 does not have a mintmark. When I dug it up, the reverse had soil covering the mintmark area, so it had me in suspense for a minute or two. :shocked01:

http://www.angellionel.com/myfinds/2010/September/11mercurydimes_092510.jpg

And five Roosevelt dimes make up the rest of the 18 silver coins.

http://www.angellionel.com/myfinds/2010/September/rooseveltdimes_092510.jpg

The 1806 copper.

http://www.angellionel.com/myfinds/2010/September/1806copper_092510.jpg

This one is larger than a half dollar. I wish it had been in better shape, but I will take it as is. :cheesysmile:

http://www.angellionel.com/myfinds/2010/September/souvenircoin_092510.jpg

I also dug up this heavy sterling silver ring.

http://www.angellionel.com/myfinds/2010/September/sterlingsilverring_092510.jpg

HH!

hockeyguy
09-25-2010, 09:48 PM
Very nice day Angel....can u dig on the commons?

del
09-25-2010, 09:48 PM
very nice Angel , great silver totals as usual . the 1806 is a later King George III though i'm not 100% sure that its a half penny or whole penny :dontknow: the ring looks upside down and to be military (maybe Airborn Rangers logo or paratroopers) or something similar. try not to wear out your welcome in Beantown as i hear they're kinda partial to their silver . :lol: :lol:

angellionel
09-25-2010, 10:01 PM
Very nice day Angel....can u dig on the commons?

Not the Boston Common. I'm not really sure about other smaller strips that may be found in the city though.

very nice Angel , great silver totals as usual . the 1806 is a later King George III though i'm not 100% sure that its a half penny or whole penny :dontknow: the ring looks upside down and to be military (maybe Airborn Rangers logo or paratroopers) or something similar. try not to wear out your welcome in Beantown as i hear they're kinda partial to their silver . :lol: :lol:

Thanks for the ID on the coin, Dan! :thumbsup01: And yeah, the ring is upside down. :lol:

So are you saying I should wear a disguise next time I head out there? :thinkingabout: I better keep it quiet then. :lol:

coinnut
09-25-2010, 10:34 PM
Well it's good to know that people leave the silver in the ground in Boston as well as here :lol: A nice silver hunt and congrats on the George III copper :thumbsup01: . I believe the 1916 D Mercury you were looking for resides in NY :lol:

Beefcake
09-25-2010, 10:41 PM
Next stop 800!!! Sweet coins and I love that airborne ring!

randy
09-26-2010, 06:37 AM
Congrats on all that silver :cheering: Were those rosies deep, or masked by trash?

jkress
09-26-2010, 07:17 AM
You had another great day out there Angel... congrats.

The fact that you can go to any 'hunted out' park and still pull the amount of silver coins that most of us would expect to get at virgin spots is what keeps me going back to my city's biggest and oldest park at least once a week. Although I haven't pulled any silver with my new machine, I still put time in there because you have proven that any park, no matter how hard it's been hunted, still holds all kinds of silver. I just haven't figured it out yet.

If you ever find yourself in Iowa, I would love to have you come and hunt the park.... only for about an hour though, just to prove that there is still plenty of silver left there. Then I am afraid I would have to ask you to leave and never return with a metal detecter again. :rofl:

the reverse had soil covering the mintmark area, so it had me in suspense for a minute or two.

The suspense is a killer but exciting too.

z118
09-26-2010, 11:43 AM
Just amazing! Of course the five Rosies I found this weekend which had me feeling pretty good suddenly don't seem so great any more... ugh! :lol:

I very much hope you make in into NY soon! Let me know, I will certainly make the drive!

kenfen
09-26-2010, 12:16 PM
Congrats on a great hunt! Boston is so old that I'm sure there's goodies all over the place up there. I wish I had been into detecting when I lived there.

Regards, Ken

angellionel
09-26-2010, 04:17 PM
Well it's good to know that people leave the silver in the ground in Boston as well as here :lol: A nice silver hunt and congrats on the George III copper :thumbsup01: . I believe the 1916 D Mercury you were looking for resides in NY :lol:

Believe me, I was not expecting to find that many silver coins at that particular park, but I did work the park as if there were many silver coins to be found. :yes:

Next stop 800!!! Sweet coins and I love that airborne ring!

So close, yet so far! :lol:

Congrats on all that silver :cheering: Were those rosies deep, or masked by trash?

The Roosevelt dimes weren't deep, but they were indeed mixed in with a lot of trash. :yes:

You had another great day out there Angel... congrats.

The fact that you can go to any 'hunted out' park and still pull the amount of silver coins that most of us would expect to get at virgin spots is what keeps me going back to my city's biggest and oldest park at least once a week. Although I haven't pulled any silver with my new machine, I still put time in there because you have proven that any park, no matter how hard it's been hunted, still holds all kinds of silver. I just haven't figured it out yet.

If you ever find yourself in Iowa, I would love to have you come and hunt the park.... only for about an hour though, just to prove that there is still plenty of silver left there. Then I am afraid I would have to ask you to leave and never return with a metal detecter again. :rofl:

The suspense is a killer but exciting too.

:lol:

You have the right attitude. That park sounds like one I would be working over and over. Keep at it. :thumbsup01:

I would love to head to Iowa to detect. Hopefully I will get to do so in the not too distant future. :yes:

Just amazing! Of course the five Rosies I found this weekend which had me feeling pretty good suddenly don't seem so great any more... ugh! :lol:

I very much hope you make in into NY soon! Let me know, I will certainly make the drive!

I am planning a NY trip soon. I'll keep you posted. :)

Congrats on a great hunt! Boston is so old that I'm sure there's goodies all over the place up there. I wish I had been into detecting when I lived there.

Regards, Ken

Detecting at that park in Boston reminded me of the days back in the 80's when I lived and detected in NYC. :yes: Those were fun days. :grin:

Epi-hunter
09-26-2010, 05:09 PM
I would love to head to Iowa to detect. Hopefully I will get to do so in the not too distant future. :yes:

Sorry. You're banned from Iowa. :boxing: :lol:

angellionel
09-26-2010, 06:29 PM
Sorry. You're banned from Iowa. :boxing: :lol:

I'll go incognito then. :lol:

Exploreruser
09-26-2010, 10:50 PM
You could almost fill a coin book with those finds.. :lol: I was born in Iowa.. :twirlingeyes: If you make it that far you might as well come meet me in Missouri too.. :angelic:

Ill Digger
09-26-2010, 10:57 PM
I don't know how you do it but its fun to see.
Sweet totals!! :shocked01:
Congrats :grin:
Don't forget to make a stop in Illinois on your way to Iowa :yes:

wild willy
09-27-2010, 03:17 AM
ya know!! i would take you to one of my hunted out spots just to see what you find.

RobW
09-27-2010, 07:28 AM
I really don't think you find those with a metal detector.......I think you have invented a new contraption that you stick in the ground and make all the coins come to the surface :lol:
Nice hunt....you give me inspiration through my frustration of learning this e-trac!

HEAVYMETALNUT
09-27-2010, 07:43 AM
geesh! i'm afraid to invite you to waterbury :confused:

coinnut
09-27-2010, 08:17 AM

I believe I saw his Master plan and there were push pins all over the Waterbury area. One at your house too, so I'd hide your silver Dave :rofl:

HEAVYMETALNUT
09-27-2010, 08:22 AM
I believe I saw his Master plan and there were push pins all over the Waterbury area. One at your house too, so I'd hide your silver Dave :rofl:

:rofl:
opens safe now

catskillcomics
09-27-2010, 09:23 AM
Great WWII Paratroopers ring!

tanacat
09-27-2010, 09:45 AM

Very cool! I love war memoriablia for some reason...

Did you know what it was Angel?

angellionel
09-27-2010, 10:13 AM
You could almost fill a coin book with those finds.. :lol: I was born in Iowa.. :twirlingeyes: If you make it that far you might as well come meet me in Missouri too.. :angelic:

I don't know how you do it but its fun to see.
Sweet totals!! :shocked01:
Congrats :grin:
Don't forget to make a stop in Illinois on your way to Iowa :yes:

So many places, so little time! :lol: I bet it would be a lot of fun to detect at some of those old Missouri and Illinois parks. :yes:

ya know!! i would take you to one of my hunted out spots just to see what you find.

Old park or common? I would have fun trying to coax a few finds out of the ground. :lol:

I really don't think you find those with a metal detector.......I think you have invented a new contraption that you stick in the ground and make all the coins come to the surface :lol:
Nice hunt....you give me inspiration through my frustration of learning this e-trac!

Hang in there, Rob. You will click with the machine. It may not seem so now, but you will. :yes:

We really should get together sometime. :yes:

That was supposed to be a secret. :rofl:

Cool! Thanks for the ID, Scott! :thumbsup01:

Very cool! I love war memoriablia for some reason...

Did you know what it was Angel?

I knew it was a silver ring, that's about it. :lol: