PDA

View Full Version : Pequot Indian hunt plus more

coinnut
09-25-2010, 10:28 PM
Went hunting with Del to our usual Pequot Indian site. This is probably going to be our normal Saturday hunt until late October or so. We spent a better part of the day there and later hit a cellar hole that gave Del a beautiful Vermont copper last time there :shocked04: It was my turn this time buddy lol But first the archaeological hunt. I wasn't finding much after a couple of hours re-doing an area I did last time. The EMI was a lot better this time and I finally got a deep iron reading that was overloading the discriminator. That usually means a bigger piece of iron and not a cut nail. And it was my first good find of the day. Not certain on if it is what we think it is yet, but if it is, I'm doing one of these :cheering: lol Got a small calibur musket ball and possibly a couple more that are flattened out. The iron object may be a the top of a Pike Axe or maybe some kind of spear blade. But hopefully period (@ 1637). Another member found a beautiful conical brass point, possibly showing the presents of a different tribe of Indians. That is exactly what was written in history, so we, as a group of 3 today, had a stellar day :smitten: The after hunt was good to me in the form of 2 coppers, both of which were mixed with a good amount of iron. After isolating each copper, the numbers 12-46 and 08-46 rang clear :happydance01: The other items include the top portion of a match case (screams Art Nouveau to me) and a lone Tombac button. When you only have 4 quality finds you can spend some more time experimenting on cleaning them. lol I spent about an hour just on the coppers :crazy: Did I happen to say, I love my machine :drool: Hopefully Del can get a picture posted of my Pequot finds, as he was playing photographer today thumbsup01

Epi-hunter
09-25-2010, 10:30 PM
Wow!!! :shocked04: Incredible. I can't even imagine spending a day like that. Congratulations, both of you! :shocked04: :happydance01:

del
09-26-2010, 12:28 AM
hey George the coppers are in pretty decent shape , nice work for a few hours of cellar hunting :clapping: :clapping: they cleaned up well too. thumbsup01 congrats on them and the nice relics you found for the museum buddy. :cheering: :cheering:

yup another fun filled day :happydance01: but i was worried a little after a few hours and no nice finds at the Pequot hunt , some one or some ones swept the area i detected today pretty well before me because i was just finding deep wrought iron nails or bits of them :rolleyes: then finally i get a very nice dropped ball :smitten: then about an hour later i picked up another in fine shape as well :peace: plus some melted lead too.

Dan

HEAVYMETALNUT
09-26-2010, 12:29 AM
nice day out again! just when i get a few steps behind ya in the copper dept there you go turning on the nitrous oxide! :hammer: and bangin 4th gear :beatdown:
congrats on the pequot hunt too!

John M
09-26-2010, 06:33 AM
Congrats on the saves guys.

Dan I sent you a PM bud.

angellionel
09-26-2010, 04:24 PM
Very nice hunt at both sites! thumbsup01 And those coppers cleaned up very well too. :drool:

jkress
09-26-2010, 10:26 PM
Awesome finds!! :shocked04: :shocked04:

You guys are the masters of the cellar holes!!

Incredible coins.

Congrats.

Mind if I ask about the average depth you guys find the goodies on your cellar hole hunts?

Thanks,
Joe

del
09-27-2010, 02:35 AM
Congrats on the saves guys.

Dan I sent you a PM bud.

thanks John , yup i saw it and responded to ya :grin:

Very nice hunt at both sites! thumbsup01 And those coppers cleaned up very well too. :drool:

thank you Angel , yes he did clean them up pretty good huh :thinkingabout: too good for him to do it :eyebrow: i bet his wife did the good job and he's just taking the credit ;) lol come on George fess up :beatdown: :beatdown: lol lol

Awesome finds!! :shocked04: :shocked04:

You guys are the masters of the cellar holes!!

i wish , we just have alot of patience and some pretty good intuition where to hunt is all.

Mind if I ask about the average depth you guys find the goodies on your cellar hole hunts?

Thanks,
Joe

well i'd say most coins are from 4 to 8 inches , but i've had some shallower and some even deeper , thanks .

wild willy
09-27-2010, 04:16 AM
great stuff there ya ox knobbler!! lol wild willy