PDA

View Full Version : My new BEST coin ever!

Full Metal Digger
10-18-2023, 06:42 PM
Hello friends,
I just returned from 9 days detecting in Germany and got an amazing coin on the last morning! It is a 15 Kreuzer dated 1662 and features the bust of Leopold I. He was also known as "hog mouth" because of his severe facial deformity. The coin is the same size as a half dollar and was a total shock when it popped out of the ground! It is the largest silver coin I have dug in Germany. I am so excited to have this coin! The obverse reads: LEOPOLDVS·D·G·R·I·S· (XV) A·G·H·B·REX (Leopoldus Dei Gratia Romanorum Imperator Semper Augustus Germaniae Hungariae Bohemiae Rex)

The reverse reads: ARCHID·AVS·DVX·BV·CO·TYR 1662 (Archidux Austriae Dux Burgundiae Comes Tyrolis).

See video here: https://www.instagram.com/reel/CyeBlALK3jf/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link&igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

I also found a bunch of other amazing coins and relics!

The Rebel
10-19-2023, 06:05 AM
Beautiful coin and in great shape!

Tony Two-Cent
10-19-2023, 07:49 AM
That is a mind-blowing find, Dave! Wow, what a beautiful silver coins! Poor old Leopold, he was not the most handsome. :lol:

One cannot help but wonder how such a big coin was lost. It's amazing that it was in the ground for 350+ years just waiting for you to find it!

:perfect10:

wisconsin digger
10-19-2023, 08:03 AM
I definitely had to open this post when YOU said your new best coin. You have posted a lot of amazing stuff from Germany trips so that is saying a lot. Congrats on this amazing coin. WD

Bucknut
10-19-2023, 10:40 AM
Wow what a coin! Hog mouth is right! Poor guy.

del
10-19-2023, 06:03 PM
Leopold 1st was a thorn in the sides for the Ottoman Turks and he surely damaged their chances on their conquest of Europe and spreading Islam, great coin of a historic persona that may have saved much of Christianity in western society .

Dan

Lodge Scent
10-19-2023, 06:13 PM
Awesome coin! You would have thought they would have cut the poor guy some slack when designing his coin and maybe ease up on that jaw. But with all that inbreeding in the Habsburg family over a few centuries, that's what you get.

OxShoeDrew
10-20-2023, 06:52 AM
WOW! Dave! His head going out of the frame must have been very modern looking back then! Congrats! He looks like James William Bottomtooth III

Mr. Digger
10-22-2023, 10:30 AM
Incredible coin! Congrats. Does Germany have any laws like the UK where you have to report it, leave it behind etc.?

Digger_O'Dell
10-24-2023, 07:18 AM
Awesome coin! What's next, a hoard of gold coins? Or maybe that missing rail car of Nazi gold? Well done!

fyrffytr1
10-25-2023, 09:44 PM
Awesome coin. Beats my oldest by 100+ years!

BTV Digger
11-09-2023, 11:23 AM
Fantastic find Dave! What a beast of a coin. I can imagine your excitement.

John