PDA

View Full Version : Counterfeit Coin

fyrffytr1
10-28-2023, 08:49 PM
I was going through some more of my brother's stuff and found a coin I could not identify. Turns out it is a counterfeit 5 dollar gold piece. It is struck on a silver planchet and is as old as it dates. There are faint traces of gold plating left on it. Where a real 5 dollar gold coin weighs 8.359 grams this counterfeit only weighs 5.43 grams.

Full Metal Digger
10-28-2023, 10:08 PM
Very interesting! I know some contemporary counterfeit coins are worth a little bit of money.

OxShoeDrew
10-29-2023, 06:40 AM
So cool! :)

Full Metal Digger
10-29-2023, 11:02 AM
I've been thinking about this counterfeit coin you found. Most counterfeit coins are cast. This coin has been struck on a silver planchet, not cast. Is it possible that it is a mint error of some sort, or maybe made by a mint employee on the sly? I think it would be worth sending off the NGC to be identified/graded. You may actually have something that is quite valuable! (seriously). Dave.

fyrffytr1
10-29-2023, 09:24 PM
I've been thinking about this counterfeit coin you found. Most counterfeit coins are cast. This coin has been struck on a silver planchet, not cast. Is it possible that it is a mint error of some sort, or maybe made by a mint employee on the sly? I think it would be worth sending off the NGC to be identified/graded. You may actually have something that is quite valuable! (seriously). Dave.

I wist it was a valuable coin. According to some knowledgeable people on a Facebook group there are a handful of this variety known and it has a value between $75-&100. If it didn't have the hole it would be twice that. Here's a link to the page. Scroll down about four or five posts to find mine.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/845348399902181