PDA

View Full Version : Sov and the E-Trac and one more Rosie

z118
09-26-2010, 11:18 AM
I got out again this morning, and headed right for the spot that gave up 4 Rosies yesterday. I figured with more time to hunt this morning I was bound to score a little silver. I also got the bright idea of dragging the Sov out with me along with the E-trac. I was really curious to get one of those iffy signals on the E-trac and then see what it sounded like on the Sov. I got one right away... a quick thump in auto with numbers around 12-45. I switched to manual and got a nice faint coin tone but it seemed a little big. So I switched over to the Sov to check it out. I got a nice faint, deep, high tone, but again, kind of big. It turned out to be a 2 square piece of copper flashing at around 11 deep. So I'd say the two detectors were even on that one. I got some more of those really iffy, likely deep rusty nail tones on the E-trac and each time checked them out with the Sov. The Sov nulled cleanly on all of them. I dug anyway, and didn't get anything good on any of them. I checked a few coin tones on each detector and they both rang up with equal results, including the silver Rosie. The Sov was a little smoother for the most part and did not tend to bounce around as much, but I didn't have the meter on it so it was hard to tell. I will say this though, after a month or so of using the E-trac what I was remembering as a sweet, expressive tone on the Sov sounded more like a harsh, annoying drone today. I was happy to get back to the E-Trac's sounds. I guess it's all in what you're used to.

I'm not sure if I was just more tired today or if the ground really dried out quite a bit in one day but the pulling plugs seemed much harder today than yesterday. I spent the last 15 minutes of the hunt in a section that they water and I was amazed at how much cleaner and clearer the tones were on clad at 6 or so.

I wound up with 38 coins total worth $3.45 which included the Rosie and one wheat. Nothing else great to speak of. I'm pretty happy with 5 Rosies in two days... or at least I will be until Angel makes one of his 10+ silvers in one hunt posts! lol

Happy hunting!

kenfen
09-26-2010, 12:11 PM
Sounds like you had a lot of fun and how cool is that to be able to check with another detector? Congrats on the Rosie!

Regards, Ken

coinnut
09-26-2010, 06:51 PM
If you ever drag both machines out again, try it the other way around. Find an iffy target with the Sov and then check it with ET. One of the things I like about the E Trac is the ability to actually find a target with a normal sweep. If I find one and then compare it to my DFX, it is not a fair comparison. I already knew where the target was, so the second machine has an advantage. That's why it's good to mix up which machine goes first. 5 silvers in 2 days is excellent, especially when learning any new machine. Moisture does help though.

Ill Digger
09-26-2010, 11:15 PM
5 silvers in two days!? :shocked04:
Heck I'm lucky if I can get 5 silvers in a month :envious:
Congrats :grin:

RobW
09-27-2010, 07:33 AM
I'm expreiencing growing pains too with my E-trac. I have a display in the local library/museum of my finds from out town common....I put my Garrett in the display so that even if I was tempted, I couldn't spring her, thus forcing me to hunt with my e-trac. At least you're finding silver, hadn't hit one.....yet.