PDA

View Full Version : New year, new goals?

Digger_O'Dell
01-29-2024, 01:35 PM
Hello everyone!

I know it's early in the year yet but with our recent thaw I'm starting to think about spring hunts already. But what I was also thinking about was what I would hope to find this year that would set this year apart from the rest. Last year I didn't get out nearly as much as I would have hoped, but I did manage a bucket lister-sort of a double hitter at that. I got my first old Chinese coin like many others I know in the Midwest have found, and in doing so I also broke into the 1700s for the first time. Although I would have preferred it to be a 1700s American coin, or even a Spanish Real, I was still thrilled.

My hope for the next year is to scratch a few off the the 'ol bucket list. This includes a 2 cent piece, a trime, and maybe a seated quarter. Again, on the "fantasy finds" list would be the ever elusive 20 cent piece and a gold coin (or gold hoard?).

So what's on everyone else's list for 2024?

Tony Two-Cent
01-29-2024, 03:13 PM
I didn't get out much last year either. Hopefully that will change now that I'm retired. (As of January 26)

My goals are always to find something on my bucket list, or some coin or relic I've never found before. Here's my US coin bucket list:

Half Cent
Draped Bust Large Cent (or older)
Flying Eagle Cent
Trime
3 Cent Nickel
Capped Bust Dime
20 Cent Piece
Capped Bust Quarter
Capped Bust Half Dollar
Franklin Half
Silver Dollar
Any Gold Coin

Full Metal Digger
01-29-2024, 03:38 PM
Wow, I'm not sure what my bucket list is anymore! I have 2 trips to Europe planned for some detecting holidays this year. Hopefully, I will have great times with friends and discover some old relic or coin(s) that is new to me. Best wishes to everyone and happy digging! Dave.

Digger_O'Dell
01-30-2024, 08:23 AM
Tony,
First off, congrats on the retirement! Does that come with a new machine? I heard somewhere all newly retired guys are issued a metal detector and a section of beach. :grin:

Secondly I have to say that's a pretty impressive bucket list! I should add the flying eagle cent to my list as well, along with any capped bust coin.

Bucknut
02-01-2024, 08:04 PM
Congrats on your retirement Tony!

I hope we all can get out detecting a lot this year and I really hope to see some posts from people who are long time members but have not posted in awhile for whatever reason.

For me 2024 is going to be different. I just started a new job which will likely not leave me my lunch detecting opportunities that I have taken full advantage of for over a decade now. I do plan to spend time at the beaches this summer during the evenings...finding 9 pcs of gold last year was a lot of fun and I hope to do the same this year.

As far as bucket listers go I hope to find a trime. There are plenty of other bucket listers to find but that is the one I want.

I will be going up to my cottage for sure this year. Maybe not as often as I hope to with my new job but every time I go I always find something special and I can't wait to get back up there and do some more exploring.

OxShoeDrew
02-03-2024, 08:11 AM
Everyone has awesome plans and hopes! In September I'm detecting in Europe, so I'd like to find something in Old England pre-dating anything we find here in New England. At home I guess the top of my list would be a tree shilling or flowing hair cent. I know a few people who've dug them so its possible...I've never heard of anyone digging a gold coin so I don't hold out any hope of that.

Full Metal Digger
02-03-2024, 08:10 PM
In September I'm detecting in Europe, so I'd like to find something in Old England pre-dating anything we find here in New England.

Drew, are you going to Colchester of a different group?

OxShoeDrew
02-04-2024, 06:38 AM
Drew, are you going to Colchester of a different group?Different group, Dave :(

Iceman-ny
02-15-2024, 10:09 AM
Haven't posted in some time, but I do drop in now and then to see what everyone is digging up, I went once once last summer, haven't done much of anything for about a year, lost my son about a year ago 35 years old, been tough on the family, so not much of an interest in anything for awhile, hopefully I get out more this summer, never had a list of finds I want I'm just as happy with ole spoon as a coin. First sugaring season, then turkey hunting, then racing for the summer and some dirt fishing maybe some R/C flying.

Tony Two-Cent
02-16-2024, 09:24 AM
Haven't posted in some time, but I do drop in now and then to see what everyone is digging up, I went once once last summer, haven't done much of anything for about a year, lost my son about a year ago 35 years old, been tough on the family, so not much of an interest in anything for awhile, hopefully I get out more this summer, never had a list of finds I want I'm just as happy with ole spoon as a coin. First sugaring season, then turkey hunting, then racing for the summer and some dirt fishing maybe some R/C flying.

I am very sorry about the loss of your son. I can't even imagine. I know you will never get over it, but it's good that you are slowly getting back to activities that you enjoy. It's what your son would have wanted, most likely. Hold on to memories of the good times.

Iceman-ny
02-21-2024, 08:11 AM
Thank you Tony.