PDA

View Full Version : Scarey hunt

catskillcomics
09-27-2010, 07:30 AM
For those of you on the forum who have gone hunting with me, know how easily I get startled when someone walks up to me when I am MDn and in the zone. Usually my startleness comes with a YELP.... :embarrassed:

Anyways, I was out MDn at a local park, I was on my knees over the hole concentrating on the coin I had found, trying to make it out ( a V nickel). At that time these 2 boys (8 or 9 yo) walked up to me and they startled me , and gave out a yelp when they spoke to me.. In return, I startled them with my Yelp, and they screamed... it was so funny. rofl

I explained to kids I wasn't try to scare them but they startled me as I can't hear with the headphones on.. they laughed, then looked at the V Nickel, and thought it was cool how old it was...
As they left, they said they wouldn't try to scare me again... LOL , just had to share...

RobW
09-27-2010, 09:04 AM
That'll teach them! I need to start yelling when people do that to me...

angellionel
09-27-2010, 09:38 AM
lol lol

I do remember that time when we detected together at the Connecticut park, and you were startled and yelped when I approached you to show you a find. lol

tanacat
09-27-2010, 10:59 AM
rofl I'm with you- happens to me with kids too! But I go 'AAAGGGHHH'! Headphones don't help huh?

Speaking of, I've been getting spooked at this vacant house built in 1830's -it's far off the main road and fairly isolated. For the past 3 months or so I keep feeling presence of something right up next to me and give that yell. I feel like something is RIGHT there, but never anything. And I also see movement off here and there. Ends up being a tree branch or squirrel but I get so spooked, not usual for me. I'm pretty skeptical about ghosts and haunted houses but this is getting ridiculous. Anyway kinda on the same topic. When I saw your title I thought about it. lol Not enough to keep me away.

coinnut
09-27-2010, 11:35 AM
Hey Scott-----Boo lol I hate not hearing with headphones on, but only keeping one cuff on doesn't let you concentrate on the deep signals. I guess we have to get into the habit of looking around us more often. I wish there was a video of the kids getting scared, that would have been a good one lol So what's the date of the V Nickel??

catskillcomics
09-27-2010, 11:41 AM
rofl I'm with you- happens to me with kids too! But I go 'AAAGGGHHH'! Headphones don't help huh?

Speaking of, I've been getting spooked at this vacant house built in 1830's -it's far off the main road and fairly isolated. For the past 3 months or so I keep feeling presence of something right up next to me and give that yell. I feel like something is RIGHT there, but never anything. And I also see movement off here and there. Ends up being a tree branch or squirrel but I get so spooked, not usual for me. I'm pretty skeptical about ghosts and haunted houses but this is getting ridiculous. Anyway kinda on the same topic. When I saw your title I thought about it. lol Not enough to keep me away.

See, even the ghosts are curious what your digging up... and just hanging out to watch.. rofl

catskillcomics
09-27-2010, 11:44 AM
Hey Scott-----Boo lol I hate not hearing with headphones on, but only keeping one cuff on doesn't let you concentrate on the deep signals. I guess we have to get into the habit of looking around us more often. I wish there was a video of the kids getting scared, that would have been a good one lol So what's the date of the V Nickel??

I've tried the one cuff off thing.. it just doesn't work for me.. and do try to keep vigilant of my surroundings, but when I get sucked into the Zone, I forget to look around..

As for the V nickel, no date.. its pretty darn zapped.. the only indication I had that it was a V nickel was from the stars along the edge.. and a slight V on the back.. other than that.. corrosion.
I've found probably 6 or 7 V nickels at this place for the last couple years, only 1 or two was I able to read the dates.. the rest.. Toast

Myownwings
09-27-2010, 11:58 AM
I was hunting the old mansion the other day when I seen out of the corner of my eye what I thought was a cat running directly at me. As it got closer I seen it was a raccoon and it was limping as it ran. I backed up rapidly and prepared to defend myself with my ETRAC. It stopped and hissed at me and then kept running down to the creek. I then resumed hunting but kept looking around thinking maybe it was rabid and was going to come back and bite me. We are definately vulnerable with the headphones on and concentrating on the sounds.

tanacat
09-27-2010, 01:11 PM
See, even the ghosts are curious what your digging up... and just hanging out to watch.. rofl

lol you're prob right.. everyone's curious!

I was hunting the old mansion the other day when I seen out of the corner of my eye what I thought was a cat running directly at me. As it got closer I seen it was a raccoon and it was limping as it ran. I backed up rapidly and prepared to defend myself with my ETRAC. It stopped and hissed at me and then kept running down to the creek. I then resumed hunting but kept looking around thinking maybe it was rabid and was going to come back and bite me. We are definately vulnerable with the headphones on and concentrating on the sounds.

That is wild!

del
09-27-2010, 01:50 PM
lol lol lol i can just picture that Scott . my scarey time came at an old park while we were getting a fresh new powdery snow fall and there was about a half inch on the ground so it was real quiet when you walked . i just look around and only my buddy Chris and i were on this park and he was about twoo hundered yards away , just then i get a great coin sounding target at about 4 inches so i crouch down and as i just pop out the coin this huge black mass was in my face :shocked04: :shocked04: and i screamed like a little girl before i realized what it was :embarrassed: lol lol it turned out to be a huge very friendly dog (big mastif) that came out of nowhere , well he greeted me for a few seconds and then high tailed it to see my buddy Chris and i had a front row seat :grin: did i warn my buddy by giving him a loud shout or trying to wave him to look around :angelic: :angelic: :thinkingabout: :thinkingabout: no :devilish: :devilish: :devilish: i watched it go down and enjoyed one heck of funny sight as he just crouched down too the dog did the same thing to him ran right up to his face and by this time my earphones were off to hear him squeal and he litterly fell backward onto his back kicking and screaming . lol lol rofl rofl ah i laughed so hard my sides hurt. lol rofl rofl

hey Tana i get that spooky presence feeling every now and then out in the woods and i only detect with one earcup on

RobW
09-27-2010, 02:13 PM
I had an experience a few weeks ago. I was down in TN (known for black bears) visiting my family, went into the woods behind my mother's house. I was several hunderd yards into the thick woods. I was detecting and saw the bushes shaking, I thought...oh a squirl, but then I saw a large black shadow...my heart started pounding, then it flew out of the bushes at me...I screamed! :shocked04:...It was my dad's big, overgrown lab, about had an accident on myself.

Epi-hunter
09-27-2010, 02:21 PM
It's a double-edged sword. I love detecting in the woods and in isolated areas, but you just never know what might happen.

I've told this story before, but my all-time worst scare was when detecting at an abandoned house in the middle of nowhere, crouching down to recover a target and then looking up to see a not-very-nice looking man standing over me with a shotgun. :shocked04: :shocked04:stretcher:

catskillcomics
09-27-2010, 07:02 PM
It's a double-edged sword. I love detecting in the woods and in isolated areas, but you just never know what might happen.

I've told this story before, but my all-time worst scare was when detecting at an abandoned house in the middle of nowhere, crouching down to recover a target and then looking up to see a not-very-nice looking man standing over me with a shotgun. :shocked04: :shocked04:stretcher:

So, when the not-so-nice guy showed up with the shotgun, was there the background music from &quot:grin:eliverance playing lol

johnboy11171
09-27-2010, 08:09 PM
The worst scare I ever had was when I was metal detecting at a friend house.I was digging up a button and his cat jumped off of the porch and landed right beside me. I jumped back about 2 feet and let out a scream.He said it sounded like his daughter screaming.I told him no it was me ,because of his cat.To this day every time I see him he starts to laugh rofl and asked if I have had anymore cat attacks. lol
Have a Nice Night and Happy Hunting.
John

Epi-hunter
09-27-2010, 09:19 PM
So, when the not-so-nice guy showed up with the shotgun, was there the background music from &quot:grin:eliverance playing lol

It was sort of a different not-so-nice kind of look. lol

tanacat
09-28-2010, 07:15 AM

I think I told the story about arrowhead hunting a plowed tobacco field and a man charged up in his pickup with his shotgun pointed at me...

Angie and I were lucky, that both of those crazy men were neighbors of the landowners, making sure we had permission to be on land, which we did. I still need to get some mace- not sure where to buy it! Angie do you carry? Know where to get? It could save us from wild animals too- like wild dogs or rabid raccoons lol

catskillcomics
09-28-2010, 07:35 AM
I would bet Wally World has Mace... Hope you never have to use it..

tanacat
09-28-2010, 07:40 AM
I would bet Wally World has Mace... Hope you never have to use it..

Yeah, maybe in camping/hunting area? Thanks :)

Epi-hunter
09-28-2010, 08:34 AM
I think I told the story about arrowhead hunting a plowed tobacco field and a man charged up in his pickup with his shotgun pointed at me...

Angie and I were lucky, that both of those crazy men were neighbors of the landowners, making sure we had permission to be on land, which we did. I still need to get some mace- not sure where to buy it! Angie do you carry? Know where to get? It could save us from wild animals too- like wild dogs or rabid raccoons lol

Do I carry? lol You mean mace, right? lol I'm not going to carry a gun; innocent people everywhere would have to fear for their lives :cheesysmile:

I have mace, but I don't carry it with me 8/ I know, a lot of good it does in my nightstand drawer, but that's where it is. I need to start carrying it when detecting.

johnboy11171
09-28-2010, 12:28 PM
If Walmart does not have it you can go check gun store,pawn shop or a uniform store that has law enforcement items for sell. When I go I carry pepper spray with me and my pistol is in my Jeep.
John

tanacat
09-28-2010, 02:15 PM
Do I carry? lol You mean mace, right?

I chuckled when I wrote that- well, mace can do a lot of damage to a person... :yes:

hoser
09-28-2010, 08:52 PM
I hunt the woods a lot and for a long time I hunted alone. I've been pretty lucky that I haven't been face to face with a bear and we have a lot of them up here. Several years ago while hunting an abandoned campground I came across some VERY fresh bear scat. I turned down my threshold to the point I could just hear it just in case. But the nice thing about most bears is they don't want anything to do with you and will try and avoid you. Just don't get between a sow and her cubs. :shocked04: or this could be you. :stretcher: Now I hunt with someone else and there is comfort in that. Now that the wife is my hunting partner I'm gonna get her a can of pepper spray. Just hope she never uses it on me. :shocked01:

coinnut
09-28-2010, 09:13 PM
Now I hunt with someone else and there is comfort in that. Now that the wife is my hunting partner I'm gonna get her a can of pepper spray. Just hope she never uses it on me. :shocked01:

Someone told me a good deterent is a can of wasp spray. One shot in the face and hopefully you can buy the time you need. Plus the 10-15 ft spray distance, doesn't hurt either lol

hoser
09-28-2010, 09:18 PM
Excellent idea coinnut. Just so happens I have some of this right in the garage. thumbsup01

RobW
09-29-2010, 01:27 PM
You need a permit for mace in Mass!!!! Yeah, just try to carry a gun in this state, sorry we are not a state we are a commonwealth, I've asked every attorney I know what the difference is and no one seems to know.

coinnut
09-29-2010, 02:51 PM
sorry we are not a state we are a commonwealth, I've asked every attorney I know what the difference is and no one seems to know.

Rob, The difference is that we are a commonwealth......that means the state has all the wealth and we are all common rofl Mass is extremely strict in just about everything you can do :(

Epi-hunter
09-29-2010, 05:02 PM
You need a permit for mace in Mass!!!! Yeah, just try to carry a gun in this state, sorry we are not a state we are a commonwealth, I've asked every attorney I know what the difference is and no one seems to know.

That's brilliant. 8/ You need a permit to defend yourself in a non-lethal and non-permanently disabling way against an attacker? :dontknow:

del
09-29-2010, 05:15 PM
That's brilliant. 8/ You need a permit to defend yourself in a non-lethal and non-permanently disabling way against an attacker? :dontknow:

yes Angie , and then your more than likely to be sued by the attacker in a civil suit. yes Mass. is a great place

johnboy11171
09-29-2010, 11:52 PM
I guess you could carry wasp spray in mass then.I have been sprayed with pepper spray when I was a Security officer so I could carry it. I have also been sprayed with wasp spray it hurts just as bad. I was spraying a wasp nest and a gust of wind came up and it blew back in my face.

sjv
09-30-2010, 10:06 AM
Del. Remember the time we were hunting and it started to rain and lightning was striking all around? That was a little scary carrying a metal detector and running back to the truck. I now do the one headphone on and one a little off, especially in the woods.

RobW
10-01-2010, 12:50 PM
yes Angie , and then your more than likely to be sued by the attacker in a civil suit. yes Mass. is a great place

Yeah, I miss living in TN where you can just walk into a Wal-Mart and buy a shotgun right off the shelf. It's only the lawbiding citizens that are getting screwed here. A criminal will just buy it off the street, the heck with permitting. There are cases all the time of people defending themselves and their homes and being sued by the person breaking in. I read about one where the burgerler fell through the skylight onto a knife on the kitchen counter, sued and won! :ticked:

Dick Stout
10-01-2010, 05:32 PM
Was hunting a very, very old picnic grove in NJ, and it was way off the main road. Was quiet, peaceful and one of my favorite sites....probably found well over 100 coins from the late 1800's. Anyway I was digging a target, and suddenly a deer hunter, who was in a tree stand right above me, jumped down in front of me. To this day I can remember the shock, the fright and how far I threw my detector.

Wound up being the landowner's son, who lived quite a few miles away. He laughed his a$$ off, and I peed my pants. True story....

jkress
10-01-2010, 09:49 PM
rofl rofl rofl

Great stuff folks!!!

Coming from the cheap headphones on my Ace 250 to a better set with my Minelab... I can definitely relate to your stories. With my Ace headphones, I could hear plenty of ambient noise... not too much with my new ones.

I try to make a habit of continually scanning the area when I detect, but once I get locked into that zone the world disappears.

I've let out more than one school girl scream when startled. lol I guess I need to invest in a proximity detector.

I can't imagine hunting in bear and mountain lion territory... don't know how you folks do it.

catskillcomics
10-05-2010, 07:57 AM
Yeah, I miss living in TN where you can just walk into a Wal-Mart and buy a shotgun right off the shelf. It's only the lawbiding citizens that are getting screwed here. A criminal will just buy it off the street, the heck with permitting. There are cases all the time of people defending themselves and their homes and being sued by the person breaking in. I read about one where the burgerler fell through the skylight onto a knife on the kitchen counter, sued and won! :ticked:

Yeh Rob, Im with you.. you break in my house, you're finished. But let's remember the Speedy punishment of Karma.. IE, last year in Miami, FL, a guy robbed a store, the cops were chasing the robber. The Robber decided hiding in a pond would be a great place till the alligator snatched him up for a late night snack. LOL

But Arizona was like that once upon a time where criminals would sue their victims when injured.. finally someone got the smarts (sheriff Joe Aparo) and got a law passed that ciminals couldn't sue victims if hurt during criminal activities.

coinnut
10-05-2010, 10:55 AM
But Arizona was like that once upon a time where criminals would sue their victims when injured.. finally someone got the smarts (sheriff Joe Aparo) and got a law passed that ciminals couldn't sue victims if hurt during criminal activities.

It amazes me that we even needed a law for what was once common sense lol One of these days we may need a law that says we can even pass laws rofl

last year in Miami, FL, a guy robbed a store, the cops were chasing the robber. The Robber decided hiding in a pond would be a great place till the alligator snatched him up for a late night snack. LOL

And to the alligator I say &quot:beerbuddy:on appetit lol

Jason in Enid
10-06-2010, 04:50 PM
Reminds of some cop photos I saw one time. One was a bad guy, running from the cops, decided to jump off an bridge. I guess he didn't see the wrought-iron fence below. Self decapitation with the head stuck on the fence like a pike.

Wish they all got what they deserved!

del
10-06-2010, 06:15 PM
last year in Miami, FL, a guy robbed a store, the cops were chasing the robber. The Robber decided hiding in a pond would be a great place till the alligator snatched him up for a late night snack. LOL

well i think florida ought to adopt the alligator for their new crime fighting mascot because he really does take a bite out of crime lol rofl rofl

when i was very youg growing up in Arizona , it was a place without alot of crime for a few reasons . for one it was perfectly legal for a law abiding resident to carry a gun out in the open on your person but you had to have a permit to conceal it . our state freely enforced and used the death penalty and use to rule in victim's rights over criminal's . i think sherrif Arpaio is from that old school of thinking when common sense made more sense than politics . i'd like to see him run and win the govenor of Az.

little man
10-08-2010, 06:47 PM
Hey I live here in E Tenn you don't go by yourself here to many drugs going on I live on top of a mountain love it here but I take my little buddy with me it 32'' long and got two trigger we got a lot of copper head here to try to let them along but some time you can't five the year in the yard ooo buck do it thing got stop last year by two boy getting to close to there lab at old house place saw that I was carry we all trun and walk back the way we came father-law found what was left of there lab three day later so watch your self out there GOOD LUCK AND GOOD HUNTING