PDA

View Full Version : A Gimme!

RobW
09-27-2010, 08:12 AM
Been trying to lean my E-Trac.......still a guessing game, though George did give me some numbers to try to remeber, but I found them to be ball park numbers. I'd get a target, and think, oh great a silver!!! and dig and find a 70's memorial. Went to a new park, that I found on an 1920's map, on Saturday with a friend. Turned on the e-trac and within 4 feet of the car got a really cool and old lighter from probably the 40s or 50s. I though this is going to be great! Spent the next 4 hours digging clad. The ground was so hard and dry ( and yes George I did get a new shovel...a pointy one! lol) After a day of digging, my hands were raw...I'm an attorney, got soft hands crying01

Sunday, I wanted to go back to the park, but didn't want to go without a big gun (shovel), but other than the 4ft handle one I have didn't want to lug that around, so I had to wait till the hardware store opened so I hit a spot that has turned up some great old coins in the past where they have been doing some construction. Didn't turn up anything but a few modern lincolns, then I noticed that they had done some work in the median, so I still had abit of time, so I headed there just to see....made it about six feet then I noticed on top of the dry fresh dirt, right in plain view a large disc shape, I muttered to myself..no way.... ran the detector over it...sure enough a large copper right on top of the grounbd. Didn't even have to dig! Though it is so corroded I can't make it out, don't think it is a large cent, diameter too small. Trying to clean it to see if I can get any detail out.

Store opened, got my shovel, headed back to the park. Hit the same area again, still digging clad. So I went for a walk along the river. I found 2 wheats, 44 and 47. A few more hours and some more clad later, called it quits from the day. I'll be back... I know there's silver there...somewhere, unless Angel already got it. lol

HEAVYMETALNUT
09-27-2010, 08:24 AM
awesome! hope ya get some detail on that puppy! thumbsup01

angellionel
09-27-2010, 09:35 AM
Other than the common that was recently redone, I haven't really worked any of the Westfield parks. :yes: I did a have a few on my list of parks, but I never got to hit them. :dontknow: There has to be silver at those parks. lol

Did you detect the piles of dirt after picking up that copper? Those opportunities don't come too often. I'm nearly always too late to hitting such areas. :crying02:

RobW
09-27-2010, 10:46 AM
Other than the common that was recently redone, I haven't really worked any of the Westfield parks. :yes: I did a have a few on my list of parks, but I never got to hit them. :dontknow: There has to be silver at those parks. lol

Did you detect the piles of dirt after picking up that copper? Those opportunities don't come too often. I'm nearly always too late to hitting such areas. :crying02:

Hit hit the rest of the dirt around the copper...nothing. The rest of the dirt is fill. They dropped the level of the green by a few feet, then brought fill back in after they redid some electric and water so it's back up those few feet.

That's ok, you can stay out of Westfield...I have enough competition out here already! lol

tanacat
09-27-2010, 10:48 AM
Good luck cleaning it up! :) Show us how it turns out. The 2 coppers I've found are my all-time fave.

After a day of digging, my hands were raw...I'm an attorney, got soft hands crying01

So you don't use gloves? There's some sharp stuff down there! I've tried about 10 different types and settled with Atlas brand. I go through a lot of them, end up having to buy new pair after I wear holes in my right thumb, index and middle fingers.

I have spent so much $$$ on gloves! :ticked: So I have an idea, haven't tried it yet... I think I'll start a thread and see if others have tried this. It's a plus that the only color they had (Do It Best Hardware- $12.95) was the same color I just bought my gloves! My idea is to just dip the finger tips as needed.

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t135/frogtopia/101_8609.jpg

coinnut
09-27-2010, 11:47 AM
Hey Rob, for Christmas you I will get you some Jergens hand lotion lol. Nice score on the copper. Do you remember what number it read?? If it's smaller (2 cent piece size) it should come in at around 12-40. Large copper around 12-46. The silver will come, but try not to be too strict on the numbers. If it reads anywhere from 12-43 to 12-46 and is half way or more deep on the meter, dig it. Anything over 6 dig it!! You'll get Wheats , some Memorials, some clad dimes, but most important silver that reads a bit low!!! Especially the worn Barbers and Mercs. Keep at it and as some time frees up for me, we can get together and compare some targets.

RobW
09-27-2010, 01:59 PM
I don't remember the numbers, but It's larger than a 2 cent piece. I think it maybe a half penny:huh:thinkingabout:?

jkress
09-27-2010, 06:55 PM
Good stuff... congrats. Especially that very, very shallow copper. lol Great catch.