PDA

View Full Version : One last Sovereign / E-trac Question

z118
09-28-2010, 06:39 AM
Mostly a question for Angel I guess (I don't think anyone else has both of these detectors?) Anyway, do you think the Sov poses any advantages over the E-trac at an ocean beach? I spend one week a year at the beach in NH. I hunt in the dry sand and the wet sand and a bit into the surf. Will the E-trac give me the same amazing performance for beach hunting that the Sov did?

angellionel
09-28-2010, 11:31 AM
I have yet to try using the E-Trac at the beach, but I have no doubt that it would perform well there. However, for such detecting I would turn to the Sovereign GT. I love the response it gives on gold and silver rings, plus it won't let me down when it comes to depth.

I'm used to shallow water detecting with the Excalibur, being able to hone in on the nuanced signals of deep targets, and the GT reacts similarly. I love the tones given on targets like gold rings, which tend to be more subdued on the E-Trac.

You won't go wrong with either, but the GT is what I would turn to for beach hunting.

randy
09-28-2010, 11:59 AM
I've been unable to use manual in the wet sand with the E-Trac. I get way too much falsing at CO 01. It is fine using auto, but I'm not sure how much depth that costs. I could also notch out CO 01, I guess, but I figure there could be gold chains there. Maybe there is another setting I don't know about to quiet it down on manual in the wet sand?