PDA

View Full Version : Help Identifying Coin

RobW
09-28-2010, 07:39 AM
This is the copper I found on top of the ground at a construction site. I tried cleaning it the best I could to get some details. When dry...nothing. But when it is wet I can make out a faint right facing bust. I did a coin rubb with a crayon to get a better id. I checked my coin books but couldn't match it. Anyone have any ideas?

angellionel
09-28-2010, 11:41 AM
Now that's a creative way to get the coin to show detail. lol I think one of the members will be able to shed some light on the probable ID of the coin. :yes:

randy
09-28-2010, 11:55 AM
George II would be my guess. Does it have a seated figure on the back?

RobW
09-28-2010, 12:46 PM
No details at all from the back. When were GeorgeII minted?

coinnut
09-28-2010, 01:22 PM
It's actually a left facing bust and probably a George II copper. It should read about 12-44 on the E Trac. It would be a half penny if it reads that. Minted, I think 1729 - 1754. Dan can tell you if it's the young head or the older George to narrow it down a bit. There also is a farthing size one that is about the size of a quarter and is 1/4 penny and should read 12-40 or lower. Counterfeits will read as low as 12-25 and there were more counterfeits than regal coins here. Nice find, Mister I seen it on the top of the ground lol You don't really need a machine, just hang around construction sites ;)

RobW
09-28-2010, 02:44 PM
It's actually a left facing bust and probably a George II copper. It should read about 12-44 on the E Trac. It would be a half penny if it reads that. Minted, I think 1729 - 1754. Dan can tell you if it's the young head or the older George to narrow it down a bit. There also is a farthing size one that is about the size of a quarter and is 1/4 penny and should read 12-40 or lower. Counterfeits will read as low as 12-25 and there were more counterfeits than regal coins here. Nice find, Mister I seen it on the top of the ground lol You don't really need a machine, just hang around construction sites ;)

Thanks, I appreciate the help in the id (from everyone)!

Yeah, I should have just saved my money and not bought that minlab thingy..... :twirlingeyes:

del
09-28-2010, 02:47 PM
hey Rob , George is right on the money with that one its definately a George II looks like an older head variety . so anywhere from 1740's up to 1760 . is that your first colonial coin :huh: or oldest:huh:

congrats on finding it .

Dan

RobW
09-29-2010, 07:37 AM
hey Rob , George is right on the money with that one its definately a George II looks like an older head variety . so anywhere from 1740's up to 1760 . is that your first colonial coin :huh: or oldest:huh:

congrats on finding it .

Dan

No and No. I have found what I believe to be a Woods Hibernia, and some Spanish 2 Reales (2 to be exact[1754, 1819]). Many early American (Large Cents, half dimes, etc) (My finds in that category begin in the 1820s) Just missing those real early American. Love the old coins!!! :smitten: I still can't believe I found this one, literally on top of the ground. But it was only because of the construction. I found nothing else in the area on that day. I go back and check periodically, because they are constantly moving dirt around, daily.