PDA

View Full Version : Permission on private land..

Exploreruser
09-29-2010, 12:20 PM
How do you all get permission to detect on private land :dontknow: I've asked 3 land owners so far for permission in my town & have gotten 3 no's.. :crying02: Heres my dilemma With a lot of research I've found a civil war camp site in a farmers field and now I'm afraid of getting another no..

coinnut
09-29-2010, 01:10 PM
I usually have a write up about myself and any type of hunting I have done (I did a talk at a public Library and the paper did a small story on it), so I use that picture and story. Giving them a sheet of paper with all of the information you want out in the public, says a lot about yourself. I never give out my address, but my name, town, e mail, even phone and that makes them feel a bit more comfortable. Also bringing some tidbits like a flat button, newer bullet, part of a buckle and maybe a wheaty always helps. Stress that you love history and this is your day off hobby (or full time hobby if retired). Always look neat and only approach if you see someone in the yard. It always helps if you know someone who knows the people you are looking to ask permission from. It could be a neighbor, friend, relative, etc... just some way of getting a warm introduction instead of a cold call. And last but not least offer to take all trash, do an excellent job of recovering and replacing the dirt and for quality places like the one you described, offer 20 bucks as a thanks for allowing permission. These are some of my suggestions, but I bet others have some great ones too.

Exploreruser
09-29-2010, 06:35 PM
WOW!! Thats a lot of good info.. Maybe I'll bring the card the museum sent me when I donated a historic item to them. Thank you very much, I feel more confident already.. :yes:

sniffy
09-29-2010, 06:37 PM
One thing that has helped me obtain permission. Offer a helping hand on the property. Just recently I obtained permission to do a large colonial lawn (circa 1766). I've been eyeballing this property for the last year, finnaly I seen the elderly lady in her lawn so I pulled up in the driveway. I picked up her newspaper and walked towards her with a cheery hello. We talked for about a half an hour, she was born in the house 90 years ago! And her father lived there for several years before that. I promised her I would rake her leaves this fall and in return she would let me detect and dig holes. I havent' detected it yet, but I have a feeling it's gonna be good..she claims that the place used to be a tavern in the late 1700's and she had found a big penny in the fireplace when she was a girl. Just be very nice and offer a hand.

RobW
10-01-2010, 12:38 PM
Just this week, I have obtained permission to hunt at 5 different old homes, now that number is unusually higher than my norm, but I get into conversations with people around town (which is old) and I ask them what pasrt of town they live in and go from there. I also ask my clients...people don't like to say no to their attorney...their bill usually goes up... lol rofl...no, not really, but sometimes I do charge a PITA fee. Basically, I ask anyone that I can lay a good groundwork conversation with, feel them out a bit about the hobby and talk about some of the things I have found through the years. I get told no a lot, but it's like asking women out...it's all a numbers game, just keep asking and someone will say yes... lol

danhughes
10-01-2010, 05:28 PM
I have a podcast with suggestions on getting permission to hunt private property.

Show number #046 here:

http://thetreasurecorner.com

Enjoy!

Exploreruser
10-04-2010, 05:22 PM
Thanks Dan!! Lots of helpful information on your podcasts.. :)

Salty Dog
01-02-2011, 03:14 PM
Thanks Dan,good stuff,I will be listening to more of them as time permits,dave

greg
01-02-2011, 03:37 PM
I always feel creepy asking permission. But you gotta do it.

russellt
01-03-2011, 03:40 PM
one of the most talked about subjects ever . most people are receptive and open to discussion,.. some say no and shut the door .i think the key is to strike up a freindly conversation. i always offer my name and where im from along with my intentions up front .dont just roll up and say do you own this property. i tell people who are not sure but not saying no that when im done detecting you will not even know ive been here. and i offer my phone # in case there is some descrepency with holes.... tell them you will remove all traash and treat their place with respect.if they are still not sure offer to pay them book value for found coins. i carry a blue book with me that reflects wholesale or pawn shop prices.. a small price to pay really . if it comes to that

danhughes
01-03-2011, 04:50 PM
...offer to pay them book value for found coins. i carry a blue book with me that reflects wholesale or pawn shop prices...

Has anyone ever taken you up on this offer? If so, how did it end up?

russellt
01-05-2011, 09:54 PM
yep . on several occasions. the most expensive trip was when i found 2 walkers and 3 mercs 2 buffs and 17 wheat pennies. we agreed on 20 bucks thumbsup01
a few other times were 10 dollar ttrips . my blue book is from 2004 so it s prices are a little less than current

Evan/tn
01-08-2011, 08:42 AM
yep . on several occasions. the most expensive trip was when i found 2 walkers and 3 mercs 2 buffs and 17 wheat pennies. we agreed on 20 bucks thumbsup01
a few other times were 10 dollar ttrips . my blue book is from 2004 so it s prices are a little less than current

So how much did you give them for the crusty clad you dig up lol

MrJeep
01-17-2011, 09:00 PM
I have a podcast with suggestions on getting permission to hunt private property.

Show number #046 here:

http://thetreasurecorner.com

Enjoy!

Thanks for posting this Dan. I'll be reviewing your tips from time to time. I know I could use more courage when asking permision as do many of us.

v3ikid
01-17-2011, 10:10 PM
I had a guy that has 80 acres and he drug his feet for about three years. Always told me we would have to get together sometime so i could hunt but it never happened. Just about the time I was ready to give up, (because although I tried not to bring it up too much as to not scare him away from the subject. I've known him for years, he's just one that doesn't let people get to know him well very quick.) he lost something on his property that he wanted back. Invited me out and although i haven't found yet what he is looking for I DID find 20 Indian heads (oldest being 1864) and 2 shield nickels. I gave him a shield nickel and i think 4 indian heads and now i have an open invitation to hunt anytime whether anyone is home or not. It happens in wierd ways, just don't give up. Ask friends first. If nothing, ask those friends if they know someone.
I pretty much try to bring up metal detecting in every conversation that i have with people i know and it has worked out pretty well so far. Just in the last month it has landed me 2 new spots. 1 is about 5 city lots big and the other is 4 acres. Chase it like you would chase the woman of your dreams. Don't give up. :)

Nitro 54
01-18-2011, 12:01 AM
9 No's and 1 yes is all it takes :boxing: :boxing: Get in there and don't leave any holes, even in a field.. thumbsup01

pulltabsteve
01-18-2011, 06:35 AM
I havent knocked on a door yet. I usually ask if I see someone out working in their yard. Garage sales are great places to meet the homeowners and get permission. I always have my metal detecting flyer and buisness card in my pocket. You never know when the right time will be. I keep a notebook binder with pictures of some of my cool finds in it, in my car. A picture is worth a thousand words. If you do get permission to hunt private property, be professional and respectful. Dont leave holes. Offer the homeowner a find or 2. Give them some buisness cards and flyers and ask them to hand them out to neighbors or friends with old property. The day of the hunt, I stop and buy a bottle of wine or a pound of cookies from a bakery. After the hunt I give the thank you gift to the homeowner. It keeps the property open for future hunts.

freemindstuck
07-09-2012, 01:04 AM
I suggest moving to the midwest. People are just friendlier and I almost always get permission to hunt. Sometimes I get my 18 year old daughter to ask for me. Doesn't hurt to have a young good looking girl ask. :drool: :drool:

ChrisinCT
10-06-2012, 01:31 PM
I'm at the point now where I'm going to start door knocking. The public areas here are picked clean or close to it.

One thing I was thinking of doing is when I get the big no answer is to hand them. Card with my name and phone number and tell them should they ever lose something for them to give me a call and I'll come and try to help them recover it.

I think it shows that even though they said no that I'm a good person at heart and maybe that will change their mind.

If not then maybe down the road they will lose something and call me for help and then I get to detect their yard anyway.

I'm not overly thrilled with knocking on doors but what's the worst they can do but say no.

I'm used to the word NO. My wife tells me it all the time so I'm thick skinned to it. thumbsup01