PDA

View Full Version : First E-Trac Silver...Yeah...Finally

RobW
09-30-2010, 07:26 AM
Yesterday was a perfect day to hunt. Perfect weather and 2 previous days of rain. So I skipped out of work early, even though I really didn't have time to. I have been reading everyone's past posts on the E-trac, memorizing numbers that George was so generous to give me, and read and re-read Angel's posts on what he looks for.....It paid off....so a special Thank You to you both thumbsup01

George, thank you for returning my MoJo...I missed it. lol

So I hit a park that I have just started hitting, as stated in a previous post I had found an early lighter there on Sat, some wheats on Sunday....I knew silver was hiding somewhere. After digging a lot of iron at 8+ inches, I was beginning to get pretty frustrated, but I kept reminding myself that persistance pays off (it usually does on my hunts) I really took my time, I spent 4 hours there, I started at a tree line, detected down for about 100 feet and then back...and that took 4 hours.......On my pass down nothing, half way back up, had a broken signal (which I had read about), normally would not have dug it....Out comes this Beautiful 1942 Mercury Dime, she is pretty :loveit:, looks like she was just minted., another hour or so and it was dark, so had to head to the car. On the way to the car had a signal of 9-46. bit odd, so I dug...clad quarter, the Fe number doesn't make since to me:huh:thinkingabout: :confused:

Also, I was having an issue with my display. My number's didn't seem to be changing. They would stay, litterally stay, at one number generally between 01-30 to 01-35 I would hit a target that sounded good and the number would not change. I tried going faster, I tried going slower and the numbers would change for a few steps, so I'd keep that pace, then it would start the same thing again. I had about 1/2 battery power so I do not believe it was that (my Garrett would get a bit squirrly on me if I had a low battery) Any ideas? :dontknow:

jkress
09-30-2010, 08:18 AM
A big congrats on the first silver. Now that you have that out of the way the Morgans, Barbers and Seateds will follow shortly! :yes:

I'm still on the learning curve too with my machine... but I just keep thinking 'Persistence!

Good luck!

angellionel
09-30-2010, 09:17 AM
You broke the ice! :peace: Now just keep finding those beauties. :smitten:

By the way, what settings were you using? Did you have your sensitivity set on manual? Was it set high? I do experience the numbers lag from time to time, but it only happens when I have a high sensitivity setting and I'm working a very trashy site or one where the soil is highly mineralized. :thinkingabout: When that happens, and you want to determine what may be under the coil, toggle over to auto-sensitivity to get the numbers moving to try and get a target ID, then just toggle back to manual. :yes:

Epi-hunter
09-30-2010, 09:26 AM
Congrats on the first E-Trac silver! :cheering: Now they will keep coming. :)

RobW
09-30-2010, 09:29 AM
I was using manual set to 28 for the most part. Then occasionally flip to auto to give my ears a bit of a break....I use to do this to get away from work, now it seems it's harder work that actually working...The site does have a lot of iron. I want to do a bit more research on the site. It's over 100yrs old, but you can't tell, no old trees, nothing just flat open ground. Need to go back to the library to see if I can dig up any old photos to try to pin point some locations. It's a good size area. Thanks for your feedback Angel. I'm still trying to find my groove with the machine.

randy
09-30-2010, 09:30 AM
Nice silver. I dug a ton of iron when I first started with the ET, but I think it sounds different, and I think I have learned the difference, tho I still dig a really good sounding nail occasionally. Maybe some other folks never dig iron, but I think you have to occasionally. I have had a couple that I was certain were iron that did turn out to be silvers. Dig it all until you get comfortable, then your odds of calling it correctly hopefully will improve dramatically.

angellionel
09-30-2010, 09:33 AM
I was using manual set to 28 for the most part. Then occasionally flip to auto to give my ears a bit of a break....I use to do this to get away from work, now it seems it's harder work that actually working...The site does have a lot of iron. I want to do a bit more research on the site. It's over 100yrs old, but you can't tell, no old trees, nothing just flat open ground. Need to go back to the library to see if I can dig up any old photos to try to pin point some locations. It's a good size area. Thanks for your feedback Angel. I'm still trying to find my groove with the machine.

That sounds like my type of site. :cheesysmile: When working that type of site do go very slowly. The numbers lag should not be a concern. Pay attention to the tones. When you hit on a promising one just sweet over the target repeatedly and slowly. The E-Trac should lock on to the target and will start to yield some consistent Fe/Co numbers. :yes:

RobW
09-30-2010, 09:41 AM
Mine all mine....stay away....my silver.... you have your own :boxing: :beatdown:.... lol

Seriously, drop me a message and maybe we can hookup on the weekend together and hit it. That's usually the only time I can get out for anytime. I'm just a hop over the river, a skip through West Springfield, and a jump through the construction in Westfield..... :yes:

angellionel
09-30-2010, 09:45 AM
Mine all mine....stay away....my silver.... you have your own :boxing: :beatdown:.... lol

Seriously, drop me a message and maybe we can hookup on the weekend together and hit it. That's usually the only time I can get out for anytime. I'm just a hop over the river, a skip through West Springfield, and a jump through the construction in Westfield..... :yes:

lol lol

You should do well at that location, and it will provide you with plenty of opportunities to become very acquainted with the E-Trac. :yes: It will great to see what you continue to pull from there. thumbsup01

coinnut
09-30-2010, 12:38 PM
Hey Rob..... :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: Didn't sound that great did it? lol But that is silver hiding in junk or on edge. So is that 09-46 reading on a clad quarter. Probably a bit deeper than normal and almost a sure thing that is was angled in the ground. The display still freezes a lot when in iron, but you want to check the last section of menues on your machine that is labeled Preferences Look at &quot:grin:isplay Timeout and make sure it is set to off. Otherwise it will freeze for 5 seconds. At least that's what the manual says lol Congrats on a real nice hunt. This rain should make all of that area you just did workable again :shocked04:

Ill Digger
09-30-2010, 03:29 PM
Congrats on your first piece of ET silver !! :grin:

RobW
10-01-2010, 03:03 PM
Hey Rob..... :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: Didn't sound that great did it? lol But that is silver hiding in junk or on edge. So is that 09-46 reading on a clad quarter. Probably a bit deeper than normal and almost a sure thing that is was angled in the ground. The display still freezes a lot when in iron, but you want to check the last section of menues on your machine that is labeled Preferences Look at &quot:grin:isplay Timeout and make sure it is set to off. Otherwise it will freeze for 5 seconds. At least that's what the manual says lol Congrats on a real nice hunt. This rain should make all of that area you just did workable again :shocked04:

Thanks for the feed back. It's a BIG area, probably be working it for some time to come, again and again, and again....very convienient to work too...about 3 blocks....I've been here for 6 years and didn't even know it was there, kinda hidden. Guess that is why the shady activity goes on there and its in a shady part of town. I turn my eyeballs on in the back of my head...that's the last thing I need is some crack head coming up behind me and mugging me for my detector :bop:

I hope all have a wonderful and bountiful weekend!