PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts On Found Ring

angellionel
09-30-2010, 06:31 PM
Back in July I found the following small ring at a town common, which I posted here (http://www.americandetectorist.com/forum/index.php?topic=1931.0). It was relatively deep in hard-packed soil. I thought it was brass, though coinnut and Tanacat did comment that it may be gold. It turns out that they may be right. :cheesysmile:

http://www.angellionel.com/myfinds/2010/July/brassring_070410

John (midas) tested the ring today using the 22k kit, and there was no reaction whatsoever. :shocked04:stretcher: He tested a scrape on a stone and also placed a drop of the liquid on the inside of the band. Nothing happened. :shocked04:stretcher: John believes it to be 22k or higher. :cheesysmile: The ring appears to be hand-fashioned and vintage. Any ideas on it though? :confused: Has anyone seen anything similar? :confused:

coinnut
09-30-2010, 07:45 PM
I really think it was brought back from Europe and it just screams Midieval to me. Just looks much older than we have here. And the fact of 22K and above is very unusual, and also makes me think very old. ID'ing the stone helps a bit. Could it be an Emerald?? I really have a good feeling about that one Angel.

angellionel
09-30-2010, 08:30 PM
I really think it was brought back from Europe and it just screams Midieval to me. Just looks much older than we have here. And the fact of 22K and above is very unusual, and also makes me think very old. ID'ing the stone helps a bit. Could it be an Emerald?? I really have a good feeling about that one Angel.

That's the thought that keeps coming to me, that it is from medieval times. :confused: I just don't know, but it sure would be exciting if it is. :cheesysmile: It is a hefty ring for being so small. John commented on it as soon as he held it, and even before testing it felt that it was gold.

coinnut
09-30-2010, 08:57 PM
Looks like it is straight out of the corn fields of England :shocked04: You been sneaking out to Europe Angel? lol

angellionel
09-30-2010, 09:36 PM
lol lol

I wonder if I sleep walk. :confused: lol

del
10-01-2010, 03:00 AM
Angel there were no marks at all on the inside of the band or very small on the outside in the design . it would be extremely odd that a 22k or more gold ring wouldn't have anykind of mark.i'd say get a positive id on the stone by a jeweler and some can even date a piece by the techniques they use back then to make jewelry . a very nice looking piece .

Myownwings
10-01-2010, 04:40 AM
Yea, that's a great looking ring and it's huge. Looks like gold to me.

angellionel
10-01-2010, 09:37 AM
Angel there were no marks at all on the inside of the band or very small on the outside in the design . it would be extremely odd that a 22k or more gold ring wouldn't have anykind of mark.i'd say get a positive id on the stone by a jeweler and some can even date a piece by the techniques they use back then to make jewelry . a very nice looking piece .

It is odd. :confused: I was almost certain the ring was brass when I dug it up, as I did not see any markings anywhere, though the base under the stone still had a bit of soil on it at the time. There is no karat indication on the inside or anywhere on the outside of the band that I can make out, but there is a marking of what appears to be letters (or perhaps numbers?) right under where the stone is held. I took some photos, so hopefully someone will be able to identify them. I'm not sure what the stone may be, so I also took a close-up photo of it. :yes:

http://www.angellionel.com/myfinds/2010/July/goldringmarking01_070410.jpg

http://www.angellionel.com/myfinds/2010/July/goldringmarking02_070410.jpg

http://www.angellionel.com/myfinds/2010/July/goldringmarking03_070410.jpg

http://www.angellionel.com/myfinds/2010/July/goldringmarking04_070410.jpg

Yea, that's a great looking ring and it's huge. Looks like gold to me.

It does look large in the original photo. lol It's actually a small ring, but it is heavy for its size. :yes: It doesn't even fit on the tip of my pinkie finger. lol The person who owned it must have been quite small.... or a child. :confused:

RobW
10-01-2010, 10:33 AM
It could be gold. The marking looks to be the Jewerlers mark who made it. I have seen jewerly like this come from India and it is very high karat, as even still they view anything less than 18k junk. It could be from middle east or Asia is my bet. It was not uncommon for in the Victorian era for people to travel there, especially from the Springfield, MA area wehere there was money.

coinnut
10-01-2010, 12:55 PM
The ring looks cast, probably sand cast. the stone can be anything from glass (hopefully Venetian lol), a mildly polished emerald, or some type of jade. I'm refining my age estimate after seeing the marks and technique used in making it. My guess now includes not only the Midievil era but a lot older too lol You need to send a picture to someone who knows their ancient as well as Midievil through 18th century jewelry. I would be shocked if it was made in the 1800's and up. I wish some of our over the pond friends would comment on it. They have a vast network of documentation on these type of finds. Maybe they could at least tell us if it is more modern than I think it is. Identifying the items on the sides of the stone would help also. Ahhh what the heck, I'll give ya 3 bucks for it Angel lol

angellionel
10-01-2010, 02:24 PM
Is that 3 followed by three zeros? rofl

That would be something if it ends up being from medieval time or older. :shocked04: The town common where I found it is quite old. The depth at which it was found, and its being in hard-packed soil, would indicate that the ring had been there for some time. :thinkingabout: As you noted earlier, it likely was brought over from Europe. :huh: I sure hope it is as old as it seems to indicate. But if not, at least now I know it is gold. :cheesysmile:

Cheap Thrills
10-01-2010, 03:45 PM
I tend to go along with George on believing it may be older than medieval . It took a very skilled artisan to design and make such a ring and you can be sure he received plenty of Drachmas for his work ( unless he was a slave) :behave:.

The fact that the ring is so huge but made to fit such a small finger suggests someone of great wealth had it made for their child , maybe given to Tut as a tot?
As far as how it got to that town common heaven knows .

Those markings on the inside have me baffled as to wether they are Asian , middle eastern symbols or small faces atop each other .I'm also wondering if those leaves or flowers on the sides of the ring are native to the locale of where the ring originated .

Nice going on those pictures also , it's pretty hard to get the lighting and the angle right to get that kind of fine detail .

Huge congrats , out of all your great finds this may be the daddy of them all . Good thing you found it in the good old U.S.A anywhere else it may have been grabbed as a Historical treasure .

angellionel
10-01-2010, 04:01 PM
I tend to go along with George on believing it may be older than medieval . It took a very skilled artisan to design and make such a ring and you can be sure he received plenty of Drachmas for his work ( unless he was a slave) :behave:.

The fact that the ring is so huge but made to fit such a small finger suggests someone of great wealth had it made for their child , maybe given to Tut as a tot?
As far as how it got to that town common heaven knows .

Those markings on the inside have me baffled as to wether they are Asian , middle eastern symbols or small faces atop each other .I'm also wondering if those leaves or flowers on the sides of the ring are native to the locale of where the ring originated .

Nice going on those pictures also , it's pretty hard to get the lighting and the angle right to get that kind of fine detail .

Huge congrats , out of all your great finds this may be the daddy of them all . Good thing you found it in the good old U.S.A anywhere else it may have been grabbed as a Historical treasure .

Thanks, Sheik. thumbsup01 I have tried looking at the markings through a loupe in the hopes of making out the symbols, but I haven't been able to determine what they are. :confused: Excellent point on the design on the side of the ring. It should provide hints as to the ring's probable origin.

Epi-hunter
10-01-2010, 04:05 PM
The depth at which it was found, and its being in hard-packed soil, would indicate that the ring had been there for some time. :thinkingabout:

Now that is quite possibly the understatement of the decade :shocked04: lol

I did some searches and other rings that look similar are pre-medieval, and usually 22k-24k gold. I would bet that this is the most remarkable and valuable of all your finds.

angellionel
10-01-2010, 04:22 PM
Now that is quite possibly the understatement of the decade :shocked04: lol

I did some searches and other rings that look similar are pre-medieval, and usually 22k-24k gold. I would bet that this is the most remarkable and valuable of all your finds.

Didn't you know? I'm Captain Obvious. lol

Yeah, I was looking through some sites dealing in pre-medieval items, and the ring sure resembles the artistry and design of the period. :shocked01: The acid test showed that the ring is 22k or better. Now it's just a matter of determining the era.

I'm not taking any chances, so I placed it at the bank safe along with my other valuables. :cheesysmile:

RobW
10-04-2010, 10:03 AM
Didn't you know? I'm Captain Obvious. lol

Yeah, I was looking through some sites dealing in pre-medieval items, and the ring sure resembles the artistry and design of the period. :shocked01: The acid test showed that the ring is 22k or better. Now it's just a matter of determining the era.

I'm not taking any chances, so I placed it at the bank safe along with my other valuables. :cheesysmile:

That must be one LARGE bank safe!!!! lol lol lol

angellionel
10-04-2010, 12:04 PM
That must be one LARGE bank safe!!!! lol lol lol

:cheesysmile: :cheesysmile:

RobW
10-04-2010, 03:41 PM
I do a lot of work with the Hannoush family. Take it up to the Eastfield Mall in Springfield where they now have their :usaflag:ship store, ask for Peter Hannoush, tell him your attorney, Robert Walker sent you and that you are trying to find some information out about the ring. Just thought if any of my contacts could help, I'd offer. You got me curious too..... :thinkingabout:

del
10-04-2010, 04:27 PM
George and i were discussing that ring on saturday , it has alot of the qualities a those spanish shipwreck pieces you see every now and then Angel , those qualities being kind of hand fashioned guady looking jewelry made from very yellow high karat gold usually 22 to 24 kt and the stone looks to be possibly emerald and a cabochon style which was the most common stone taken from the south and central America's and i could see a pirate or shipwrecked salavaged piece being up here in these parts more commonly .

angellionel
10-04-2010, 05:58 PM
I do a lot of work with the Hannoush family. Take it up to the Eastfield Mall in Springfield where they now have their :usaflag:ship store, ask for Peter Hannoush, tell him your attorney, Robert Walker sent you and that you are trying to find some information out about the ring. Just thought if any of my contacts could help, I'd offer. You got me curious too..... :thinkingabout:

Thanks, Rob! thumbsup01 I am really curious about the probable origin of the ring too. :huh:

George and i were discussing that ring on saturday , it has alot of the qualities a those spanish shipwreck pieces you see every now and then Angel , those qualities being kind of hand fashioned guady looking jewelry made from very yellow high karat gold usually 22 to 24 kt and the stone looks to be possibly emerald and a cabochon style which was the most common stone taken from the south and central America's and i could see a pirate or shipwrecked salavaged piece being up here in these parts more commonly .

Now that would be something else. :grin: I sure hope the stone is emerald. :cheesysmile: Whatever the end result, it's been an interesting piece, and a find I won't forget anytime soon. :yes:

sjv
10-26-2010, 08:55 PM
:clapping: Nice find! I'm no expert but didn't gold get stamped in karats in a certain year and if it's marked solid gold than it's before the 1800's?It definitely looks like a one of a kind and made all with ancient tools. What about contacting an antique dealer. I think there is a website called Ruby Lane which deals in antiques. Google the name and see if they would take a look at your pics. I know I have seen Victorian antiques on their sight, but it could be something brought over from England a looooooong time ago. Could be worth 5 or 6 figures who knows. I vote it the find of the year. :beerbuddy: Just stay away from that GOOD OLE TOM Guy rofl

sjv
10-28-2010, 08:20 AM
I can't see how the stone is held in there and see how crude the rim around the stone is, that strange. Those symbols on the sides must mean someting also. If you look at it from the side, it looks like a face of some kind,no? Maybe pirates? I would bring it to an antique dealer and have it cleaned and buffed. The stone is very dull looking which means it was never buffed or has been in the ground a very long time (maybe 300-400plus years). Also I've ben looking at stones and I can't figure what it is.Maybe Jade? Definitely a natural stone considering the gold is 22k which I think is the highest you can go. Some are stamped 24k but really are 22k from what a jewelry store told me. Could be worth at least a few thousand Retail or more. Depends on the stone type. What the heck, Have it cleaned by a proffessional and tell them you will wait while it's being cleaned, buffed etc..

Diggler
10-28-2010, 08:39 AM
I would like to see better, cleaner pictures of the images on the sides of the ring. Looks Aztec or Mayan... maybe a dragon? Or some Inca or Nazca symbol. I thought you were a silver guy? Cool ring for sure.

SeabeeRon
10-28-2010, 12:45 PM
No new ideas from me in addition to what has been said here so far, but I think, but as someone did state this could turn out to be your best find so far!!! :loveit: :twirlingeyes: <:

BillZ
10-28-2010, 08:52 PM
Wow! I am really curious to see what it is.
Please keep us updated on what you find.

pulltabsteve
11-04-2010, 05:30 PM
Heres a link from an old gold ring with a dull green stone. Do you have anymore info on what it may be?

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/rare-gold-ancient-roman-medieval-ring-with-green

angellionel
11-04-2010, 09:34 PM
Heres a link from an old gold ring with a dull green stone. Do you have anymore info on what it may be?

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/rare-gold-ancient-roman-medieval-ring-with-green

I haven't found any additional info on the ring and have not taken it to a jeweler. :embarrassed: I need to do that soon. I have seen several rings with similar characteristics, and with stones like the one on the photo from that link. :yes:

Diggler
11-05-2010, 07:17 AM
So can you tell if the symbols on the side are floral patterns or animals or...? Was watching ancient aliens last night and it looked very south american...

angellionel
11-05-2010, 08:19 AM
So can you tell if the symbols on the side are floral patterns or animals or...? Was watching ancient aliens last night and it looked very south american...

I had taken photos of both sides of the ring. I placed them side by side in the following image. They do allow for a better view of the details. The design does look floral, or that of a fruit bearing plant. :thinkingabout:

http://www.angellionel.com/myfinds/2010/July/sidesofgoldring_070410.jpg

Diggler
11-05-2010, 08:21 AM
Seen some Middle East, Iranian jewelry with similar designs and structure. More I look the more I like.

coinnut
11-05-2010, 12:42 PM
It just screams very old to me lol Not like anything we should be finding around here. Completely out of character. Someone who lost that had it as a special piece and probably paid dearly for something so old. I still think it's an emerald in that setting :shocked04: Hope it turns out to be at least 1000 years old lol

angellionel
11-05-2010, 05:44 PM
I better get the ring to a jeweler pronto! lol As some have pointed out, this one might very well turn out to be my best find this year. :shocked01:

Diggler
11-08-2010, 12:11 PM
Every time I stare into that green eye I feel like I lose a little bit of my soul...
You may have solved the riddle of the crystal skulls and can save us all from 12/21/12...
I can't seem to find the perfect jewelry forum to post it in but this one might get some action:
[url=http://forum.langantiques.com/viewforum.php?f=18]http://forum.langantiques.com/viewforum.php?f=1:dontknow:/url]

angellionel
11-08-2010, 12:39 PM
That looks like a great site. :yes: I will have to give it a try. Thanks!

Diggler
11-16-2010, 08:15 AM
:thinkingabout:

BillZ
11-16-2010, 07:57 PM
:thinkingabout:

Ditto.

If you don't take that ring to get looked at Angel, I will have to come up there and do it for you.
The suspense is killing me!

Epi-hunter
11-16-2010, 08:02 PM
Ditto.

If you don't take that ring to get looked at Angel, I will have to come up there and do it for you.
The suspense is killing me!

You might have to lol

He procrastinates over these things. It is probably back in the I'll get to it later pile :)

I am anxious to hear the outcome too.

SeabeeRon
11-16-2010, 08:08 PM
The natives are getting restless Angel!!! 8) rofl

del
11-16-2010, 08:11 PM
yes you know what that old saying is curiosity killed the ring bearer because the natives grew restless and started a riot lol lol lol stop procrastinating and get us some intel :teasing:

angellionel
11-17-2010, 10:45 AM
Restless is right. lol Okay guys, I did post an inquiry at the Antique Jewelry site (http://forum.langantiques.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=338&sid=57370883942502c11402c aa4956ca1c8) and received a reply, apparently confirming what we all suspect, and suggesting I take the ring to a museum dealing in ancient jewelry. Now I am really curious. :cheesysmile:

Thanks for that link, Diggler!

angellionel
11-17-2010, 07:55 PM
I received a reply on another inquiry I had sent to a gemologist to see if he could identify the stone on the ring, but he was unable to provide a conclusive identification since the stone isn't polished and the photo does not provide enough detail. He did indicate that it may be Jade or nephrite, a type of Jade. His suggestion was to have the stone examine in person by a qualified gemologist.

I'm beginning to think that perhaps the ring originated in China? Perhaps the markings on the inside of the band are faded Chinese characters? :confused:

coinnut
11-18-2010, 12:06 AM
OK I'll go as far as Persia, but I'm sticking to the emerald part rofl Hope you can find out what it is. It kinda does look like Jade. I am still hoping it's a roughly polished emerald though :-\ It's definitely far from home, that's for sure :yes:

angellionel
11-18-2010, 05:51 PM
OK I'll go as far as Persia, but I'm sticking to the emerald part rofl Hope you can find out what it is. It kinda does look like Jade. I am still hoping it's a roughly polished emerald though :-\ It's definitely far from home, that's for sure :yes:

I'm hoping for emerald too. :cheesysmile: I may need to make a trip to Britain to talk to the museum folks there. lol

BillZ
11-19-2010, 11:45 PM
...still waiting

little man
11-22-2010, 11:09 AM
man this is kill me we need to know now any way it go still a SWEEET find <: <: <: <: <:

angellionel
11-22-2010, 05:05 PM
One of the posters at the Antique Jewelry site opined that the ring's style appears to be of Eastern origin. Read the comments HERE (http://forum.langantiques.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=338&sid=57370883942502c11402c aa4956ca1c8).

coinnut
11-22-2010, 06:52 PM
:thinkingabout: My offer of 3 dollars still stands Angel lol But I want the little gumball capsule that it originally came with :cheesysmile: So it looks like maybe a 1500's piece or a shipwreck salvage piece. The plot thickens :thinkingabout:

angellionel
11-22-2010, 07:28 PM
:thinkingabout: My offer of 3 dollars still stands Angel lol But I want the little gumball capsule that it originally came with :cheesysmile: So it looks like maybe a 1500's piece or a shipwreck salvage piece. The plot thickens :thinkingabout:

The gumball capsule has already been tossed. lol And I think you forgot to add a few zeroes after that 3. :thinkingabout: :cheesysmile:

I am trying to see if I can get information from one of the British museums. Who knows, maybe someone there will be nice enough to reply. :yes:

angellionel
12-08-2010, 08:17 PM
I received a reply from the The Victoria and Albert Museum in London England on an inquiry I had submitted back on November 17th. Unfortunately, they are stumped too as to the identity of the ring. :confused: The following was the reply:

Dear Angel

I am very sorry that we have drawn a blank on your ring. Your enquiry was forwarded to me on 18 November and not recognizing it as of a European type, I forwarded it at once to our Asian department which covers North Africa and the Middle East as well as India, China and Japan. I have heard today that their various sections have considered the ring and regret very much that they do not recognize the style, nor can they make out the marks.

I would not expect a ring of this style and marked in this way to be European in origin, but I am very sorry that we cannot take you any further.

I also submitted an inquiry to the Prehistory and Europe Department of the British Museum but I have not received a reply. I guess the probable origin of the ring will remain a mystery. :eyebrow:

coinnut
12-08-2010, 08:36 PM
Told you it was only worth 3 bucks lol I bet if you showed them the gumball case, they would have recognized it immediately :cheesysmile: I'm amazed that they could not even ID the country of origin :confused: Wow, that makes it even more mysterious :clapping: I hope someone gets back to you. I would have thought that with all the ancient artifacts recovered in the UK, this would be an easy one for them.

angellionel
12-08-2010, 08:43 PM
Told you it was only worth 3 bucks lol I bet if you showed them the gumball case, they would have recognized it immediately :cheesysmile: I'm amazed that they could not even ID the country of origin :confused: Wow, that makes it even more mysterious :clapping: I hope someone gets back to you. I would have thought that with all the ancient artifacts recovered in the UK, this would be an easy one for them.

The gumball case may be more valuable. lol

Yeah, I was surprised that they were not able to identify anything about its probable origin. :confused: Bummer. :-\ Well, it is a 22kt ring, and it is likely of some age, so it is still a win for me. :cheesysmile:

Still, I do hope someone at the British Museum is kind enough to reply. :thinkingabout:

Diggler
12-09-2010, 08:57 AM
Holy guacamole! Hmm... Hard to believe.
Wonder if Chrisites would know...?

http://www.christies.com/valuationdays/

Antique Roadshow...?

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/roadshow/ontheroad.html

The Pope...?

http://www.vatican.va/phome_en.htm

AAAHAHAHHHHHH!!!!!! :twirlingeyes: :drool: :twirlingeyes: :drool:

:twirlingeyes: :drool: :twirlingeyes: :drool: :twirlingeyes: :drool: :twirlingeyes: :drool:

SeabeeRon
12-09-2010, 09:52 AM
rofl rofl rofl rofl

coinnut
12-09-2010, 11:24 AM
I believe the Pope wants his ring back Angel :eyebrow: :eyebrow: :eyebrow:

angellionel
12-09-2010, 11:43 AM
I can't believe this thread is on its third page. rofl Thanks for the additional links, Diggler. I wasn't going to pursue it further, but I may send an inquiry to the Antique Roadshow site. :thinkingabout: It's worth a try anyway. :yes:

I believe the Pope wants his ring back Angel :eyebrow: :eyebrow: :eyebrow:

Only in exchange for permission to detect at certain sites. :cheesysmile: lol

Epi-hunter
12-09-2010, 11:56 AM
I can't believe this thread is on its third page. rofl

And the ring is probably back in its original position in the 'get-to-it-later-meaning-never' pile lol rofl

I can just visualize the Antique Roadshow truck pulling into your driveway Angel. lol

angellionel
12-09-2010, 12:41 PM
And the ring is probably back in its original position in the 'get-to-it-later-meaning-never' pile lol rofl

I can just visualize the Antique Roadshow truck pulling into your driveway Angel. lol

Hey, don't laugh, they may tell me I'm sitting on a gold mine. lol Though the likely outcome is that I'll end up selling it to George for the three dollars he offered. rofl

angellionel
12-09-2010, 05:09 PM
Well, I just received a response from the The British Museum's Department of Prehistory and Europe on the inquiry I sent them back in November. It was kind of them to reply. :yes:

The consensus from the curators is that the ring is likely no older than the 19th century. :thinkingabout: So there you have it, the ring is apparently not as old as I had hoped, but probably from the 1800's. :dontknow: It was a sweet ride while it lasted though. lol

In any case it is still an old ring of apparent craftsmanship, and at the very least it is 22kt gold too. :cheesysmile:

Here is the response:

Dear Angel

Thank you for your enquiry and images of a ring in your possession. It is always difficult to give a definitive opinion from images alone, however, I have circulated your enquiry to the relevant curators. The consensus is that it is unlikely to be earlier than the nineteenth century (though 22ct gold is unusual but not impossible) but there is nothing comparable in our collections.

You could try emailing an image to other museums for additional/second opinions and if you are interested in selling it then you could consult reputable auction houses in your area.

coinnut
12-09-2010, 05:19 PM
Hmmm. I don't buy it lol Not one bit of it rofl I'm not sure the construction of the ring matches the age bracket they gave. :confused: I think it's just a wild guess on their part, but hey what do I know ;)

angellionel
12-09-2010, 05:26 PM
Hmmm. I don't buy it lol Not one bit of it rofl I'm not sure the construction of the ring matches the age bracket they gave. :confused: I think it's just a wild guess on their part, but hey what do I know ;)

So you are still going to have me pulling my hair, of which I don't have any by the way? rofl

I will give some other sites a try, though I think at this point that having someone from an auction house dealing in antiques take a look at the ring itself may perhaps be the way to go. :thinkingabout:

coinnut
12-09-2010, 05:44 PM
So you are still going to have me pulling my hair, of which I don't have any by the way? rofl

I will give some other sites a try, though I think at this point that having someone from an auction house dealing in antiques take a look at the ring itself may perhaps be the way to go. :thinkingabout:

It would be nice to at least know what kind of stone it is??

angellionel
12-09-2010, 06:01 PM
It would be nice to at least know what kind of stone it is??

Yeah, I would like to know that too. :yes: I was hoping that the close-up photo of the stone I submitted would be of help, but there were no comments about the stone at all. :confused:

Epi-hunter
12-09-2010, 06:47 PM

I don't buy it either George :confused: I don't think it's a good wild guess. Keep trying Angel :yes:

del
12-09-2010, 07:12 PM
i'm skeptical too about the time frame Angel well its at the very least looks early 1800's plus i think we can carry this topic a few more pages atleast . lol lol lol

angellionel
12-09-2010, 07:51 PM
I don't buy it either George :confused: I don't think it's a good wild guess. Keep trying Angel :yes:

I guess it is back on the ride I go. rofl

i'm skeptical too about the time frame Angel well its at the very least looks early 1800's plus i think we can carry this topic a few more pages atleast . lol lol lol

Yeah, another three pages wouldn't hurt. lol

I think the key may be in identifying the mark inside the band. There must be a record of such markings somewhere. :thinkingabout:

Stang1968
12-27-2010, 06:15 PM
Can you make a carbon rub of the stamping?

angellionel
12-27-2010, 06:24 PM
Can you make a carbon rub of the stamping?

I haven't, but it is a good idea. It may allow for a better view of the marking. :thinkingabout:

HEAVYMETALNUT
12-27-2010, 08:09 PM
they probably didn't comment on the stone cuz prehistoric dirt crystals lodged in the crevice of the setting detract from the actual stone itself rofl ya gotta clean your finds you lazy bum! :behave: before ya send pics to the likes of sotheby's or the London museum of natural history! :beatdeadhorse: get with the program dude! just kiddin man..awesome ring!

angellionel
12-27-2010, 11:52 PM
they probably didn't comment on the stone cuz prehistoric dirt crystals lodged in the crevice of the setting detract from the actual stone itself rofl ya gotta clean your finds you lazy bum! :behave: before ya send pics to the likes of sotheby's or the London museum of natural history! :beatdeadhorse: get with the program dude! just kiddin man..awesome ring!

Yeah, I know. lol Actually, though, they were great about it, and they even shared the photos among the different departments they have in an attempt to identify the ring. I did provide them with a photo showing that it was a found ring, as I am sure they see plenty of those from UK detectorists. ;) I haven't contacted Sotheby's, so that might be my next stop. lol

Diggler
03-18-2011, 04:25 PM
Cough... happydance02

russellt
04-09-2011, 06:46 PM
maybe marcvs could help us out ..looks anglican to me . and old

Goldzukie
05-05-2011, 06:19 PM
Dont know how I ended up this post but that is one incredable ring you have there. My thoughts, and have I seen rings of that nature well yes I have (the history channel) congrats Angel. You deserve it, after you showed me some things on the DFX I have pulled so many great things. It truth very much in your debt, if you reap what you sow you definitly deserve this one...

Kimster
05-06-2011, 07:03 PM
Looks like some of the Roman jewelry found in England. I can't imagine how it got here, but if I were you, I'd send some pictures to someone who is an expert in Roman jewelry, perhaps a museum curator.

v3ikid
05-06-2011, 09:27 PM
I don't know how old it is or where it came from but my gut feeling is that you have something pretty special in that ring. If i'm wrong about it you still have one very cool ring and it's GOLD. Congrats on the ring I like it alot. :perfect10: |:confused:)

jkress
05-07-2011, 08:49 AM
I've looked at this post several times and the ring is still fascinating to look at. So old and soooooo many questions. :confused:
There has got to be someone out there that knows something about it.

If I found this one, the curiosity of it's origin would absolutely be eating me alive.

Hopefully we'll get some answers as time goes on. :->

angellionel
05-07-2011, 09:02 AM
I have already tried an online vintage ring resource and two British museums, and even they have drawn a blank. lol For now I'm just glad to have the 22k gold ring. :smitten:

Diggler
10-06-2011, 05:10 PM
:interesting:

BillZ
10-06-2011, 07:19 PM
:sleepy:

Dig em all
10-22-2011, 03:31 PM
Roman? or greek? might just be missing a toga and some leather sandles :perfect10:

wild willy
01-22-2012, 04:44 AM
i take it theres still no answer! the mystry continues. :) willy

angellionel
01-22-2012, 09:26 AM
i take it theres still no answer! the mystry continues. :) willy

Is this thread still alive? :shocked03: I gave up trying to obtain more details a long time ago willy. lol I guess the best that can be said is that the ring is at the very least from the 1800's? In any case, it is a nice ring, and with it being at least 22k I'm just glad that it is in my collection. :yes:

CODY
01-22-2012, 10:44 AM
Amen Angel.

zeus9876
01-25-2012, 12:57 PM
Not going to read back through the whole thread so, Have you cleaned it at all ? Taken it to a jewelers for testing ? No hallmarks? If you can post or send me some photo's i will check with a few places on this side of the pond for you. But i will need all the info you can provide.

Joel

lee
01-25-2012, 02:28 PM
oh im soooo gona open up a can of worms here,
looking at the markings inside the ring thay look more and more like rune markings like on the kensington rune stone.
could it ?...could it possably be.......dare i say it.........templar :shocked03:.
thay got to the usa in 1362 i beleve and looking at the ring it is very gothic which was a trait of the templars.
google the kensington runestone and take a look ya self.

angellionel
01-25-2012, 11:13 PM
Not going to read back through the whole thread so, Have you cleaned it at all ? Taken it to a jewelers for testing ? No hallmarks? If you can post or send me some photo's i will check with a few places on this side of the pond for you. But i will need all the info you can provide.

Joel

Thank for the offer Joel!

I did not clean the ring other than rinse it with water to remove some of the caked-on soil. And yes, I did take it to a jeweler. He confirmed the high gold content, but was unable to offer any other information.

Below are two links within this thread where I posted close-up photos of the ring.

http://www.americandetectorist.com/forum/index.php?topic=2600.msg27925#msg27925

http://www.americandetectorist.com/forum/index.php?topic=2600.msg30930#msg30930

At the following links I also posted comments I received from curators at The Victoria and Albert Museum in London and The British Museum's Department of Prehistory and Europe.

[url=http://www.americandetectorist.com/forum/index.php?topic=2600.msg33548#msg33548]http://www.americandetectorist.com/forum/index.php?topic=2600.msg33548#msg3354:dontknow:/url]

http://www.americandetectorist.com/forum/index.php?topic=2600.msg33644#msg33644

And this next one is a post I made at a antiques jewelry forum.

[url=http://forum.langantiques.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=338&sid=57370883942502c11402c aa4956ca1c8]http://forum.langantiques.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=338&sid=57370883942502c11402c aa4956ca1c:dontknow:/url]

I hope that helps. :yes:

oh im soooo gona open up a can of worms here,
looking at the markings inside the ring thay look more and more like rune markings like on the kensington rune stone.
could it ?...could it possably be.......dare i say it.........templar :shocked03:.
thay got to the usa in 1362 i beleve and looking at the ring it is very gothic which was a trait of the templars.
google the kensington runestone and take a look ya self.

lol lol

I guess I can dream, can't I. :thinkingabout: lol

I'll look up information on what you mentioned. Thanks Lee!

zeus9876
01-26-2012, 04:36 PM
From Chef Geoff on Detecting Wales website

Well one thing is for sure and that's WOW! what a beauty.lol
Well I thought at first it was Roman then changed my mind to North African but then I took a look at the writing which to me looks like a logogram (chinese or Japanese) so I had a look at the jewellery from there and while this is by no means identical, I think you can see the stone setting (entrapment) is similar. Just another idea to throw around and maybe a new avenue of search.

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa71/zeus98765/photo-44.jpg

zeus9876
01-26-2012, 04:45 PM
And again

That one is obviously new and it would appear that dating could be tricky unless your an expert as this one is only 60 years old but to my untrained eye looks ancient

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa71/zeus98765/null-1.jpg

angellionel
01-26-2012, 08:36 PM
Thanks Joel! :peace: Hey! that second one does have some of the same design aspects. :huh: Perhaps the ring I found isn't as old as thought? :confused: It is 22k or more, so I can't complain either way. :yes: