PDA

View Full Version : Span

rcasio44
09-30-2010, 08:33 PM
Looking for help here Jack.
I know what span is and what it's used for. The question is how are you getting the right setup? Now I know about trial and error BUT: still there has to be a procedure. I see you went from 35 to 45. How do we know when we have gone too far and might as well be using best data. Rob :interesting:

CyberSage
09-30-2010, 09:25 PM
Even with the very relaxed Span setting I use there is still a pronounced quieting effect for me. Best Data has always seemed to light and wispy in it's response patterns. You can screw down the span settings and get a much quieter response, but I would rather have a balance of noise and good coin hits, and get the multiple target digs. The wrap setting in the Correlate mode, which is not found in the Best Data mode is evidence that Correlate makes the good targets jump up in VDI response. A slightly quieter hunt with elevated coin response is an attractive scenario is it not? It works for me. Most of the Silver I dig in the parks now is next to trash and not that deep. A broader Span setting allows for this response pattern. You just have to rely on your ears for the consistent high tone pattern and not the screen. Then all you have to do is pull the pin point trigger and verify that your keeper is waiting for you.

Jack

CyberSage
10-01-2010, 07:51 AM
I guess I did not convey how I arrived at my Span settings of 35 to 45. I generally try to make adjustments over real finds in the field. This is simply a product of that type of testing before I dig. I noticed the response would clean up nicely with a span setting in this range.

rcasio44
10-01-2010, 09:37 AM
Thanks for the info Jack the second post was what I was looking for. Rob