PDA

View Full Version : Minelab E-Trac

OkieDigger
10-25-2009, 01:00 PM
I wanted to start this thread for all the questions and answers about the E-Trac and any technical information you want to share (settings, etc...). This is the place to tell us all about your experiences or if you're curious about the E-Trac in general.

marchas45
10-25-2009, 03:17 PM
Great machine but takes a while to get used to it. I give it a big thumbsup01 up!!

bmattioli
10-25-2009, 06:44 PM
I'm getting one as soon as I can find a deal somewhere. Winter's comming and I'll be using my DFX untill next Spring. I'll definity start the season next year with one. I want to check it out..

Bruce

marchas45
10-25-2009, 07:30 PM
I'm getting one as soon as I can find a deal somewhere. Winter's comming and I'll be using my DFX untill next Spring. I'll definity start the season next year with one. I want to check it out..

Bruce

Bruce go to TreasureNet.com under classifieds there going from $800-$1000 pretty new and not used that much. I guess some people just can't handle them.

OkieDigger
10-25-2009, 07:32 PM
$800!!! That's a steal. Better hurry up Bruce before I buy another one. :grin:

angellionel
10-25-2009, 07:42 PM
I would jump on that deal if I didn't already have one, though a backup may not hurt. ;)

bmattioli
10-25-2009, 07:43 PM
I've been looking all over but they get snatched up as soon as they are offered. Got all winter to get mine.. Thanks!

Bruce

marchas45
10-25-2009, 08:00 PM
I've been looking all over but they get snatched up as soon as they are offered. Got all winter to get mine.. Thanks!

Bruce

Hi! Bruce there's one on Treasurnet for $1000.00 and you may get it for $800.00 or $900.00.

Jason in Enid
10-25-2009, 10:36 PM
Brand new E-Trac user here. Today was my first chance to swing my new coil. Man, I hate learning a new machine. It's definately different from my old whites. I plan on using it every spare chance I can find so that I can learn it ASAP.

I had a lot of pinpointing troubles, didn't find anything old, but I did get silver!

I still wish I could perform a vulcan mind meld with Angel to know everything he has learned from his extensive use of this machine.

Epi-hunter
10-26-2009, 10:50 AM
Brand new E-Trac user here. Today was my first chance to swing my new coil. Man, I hate learning a new machine. It's definately different from my old whites. I plan on using it every spare chance I can find so that I can learn it ASAP.

I had a lot of pinpointing troubles, didn't find anything old, but I did get silver!

I still wish I could perform a vulcan mind meld with Angel to know everything he has learned from his extensive use of this machine.

Hang in Jason, it will come. Especially after using a White's, the Minelab will take a bit of getting used to, but I think you will like it :)

No vulcan mind melds probably, but you can pick his brain here ;)

OkieDigger
10-26-2009, 11:13 AM
Epi is right. Coming from the White's side, I had major difficulties with the Minelab pinpointing. White's is by far better at pinpointing, but with a little time you'll be pinpointing no problem. The first few outings are the hardest if you're new to a Minelab. Even then, my very first hunt I found two wheats I had missed with my MXT. That alone was enough for me to keep at it.

Epi-hunter
10-26-2009, 11:20 AM
I still have some trouble with pinpointing sometimes. With coins though, it's dead on usually, after some practice.

That depth meter, though.... they need to do something. I would buy an updated version if they would just improve the depth meter.

OkieDigger
10-26-2009, 11:23 AM
I only seem to have issues pinpointing with on edge coins and rusty nails that act like coins. Steve has seen the same problem. It can pinpoint up to 4 off.

And as for the depth meter, AARGH! That thing is crazy off on some shallow targets. Usually spot on with the deep ones though.

Epi-hunter
10-26-2009, 11:34 AM
Okay Dale, tell me this... and I'm asking you because you, like myself, indicated that you are somewhat challenged when it comes to discerning the subtle difference between tones for certain coins :)

You said above that some of the silver dimes (particularly the deeper ones) are coming in at CO 42-43, maybe not even hitting 44. That has been my experience lately too, and I don't think it is because they are on edge. If there is trash or other targets nearby it can affect the CO but usually slowing down will allow to be able to pick through it and hit solidly on the coin, and the numbers will look more like what is expected. As you said, it seems to be the deeper coins and in particular the ones that are more worn and tarnished that read lower.

But my question is... can you hear a difference in the tone? Does a silver coin that comes in at 43-44, like your barber yesterday, 'sound' like a silver dime instead of a clad dime?

Jason in Enid
10-26-2009, 02:45 PM
OK, second day out with my E-Trac, second silver! I went back to the park I found the medallion at. Things seemed to go a liitle smoother. I gave up on several solid targets that indicated as being about 2-3 inches deep. Then I got a solid 12-42 that showed 5 inches. At 5 inches I had nothing. I kept going. Finally, at about 8-9 inches I pulled a crumpled piece of metal out. It wasn't very big, but it's deeper than any other coin sized target I've dug. It was a loud and clear signal too. After this I started to feel better about the machine, but wondering if I could attach my E-Trac to a self-powered auger. Then I got another identical signal, and pulled a coin from 5 inches. I thought it was a penny. I couldn't see anything on it. it was crusty, corroded, and even had rust in the corrosion. I finally picked at it enough to see a reeded edge!! It's currently soaking. It has to be the ugliest silver coin ever. I don't even know if I will be able to see what it is. I THINK it's a Merc because there is a raised line in the middle of one side. I also found two coppers in equal condition, but I can't tell anything about them yet.

I'll post pics when I get them cleaned up a bit more.

I need to go back and start gridding this park.

Epi-hunter
10-26-2009, 02:47 PM
OK, second day out with my E-Trac, second silver! I went back to the park I found the medallion at. Things seemed to go a liitle smoother. I gave up on several solid targets that indicated as being about 2-3 inches deep. Then I got a solid 12-42 that showed 5 inches. At 5 inches I had nothing. I kept going. Finally, at about 8-9 inches I pulled a crumpled piece of metal out. It wasn't very big, but it's deeper than any other coin sized target I've dug. It was a loud and clear signal too. After this I started to feel better about the machine, but wondering if I could attach my E-Trac to a self-powered auger. Then I got another identical signal, and pulled a coin from 5 inches. I thought it was a penny. I couldn't see anything on it. it was crusty, corroded, and even had rust in the corrosion. I finally picked at it enough to see a reeded edge!! It's currently soaking. It has to be the ugliest silver coin ever. I don't even know if I will be able to see what it is. I THINK it's a Merc because there is a raised line in the middle of one side. I also found two coppers in equal condition, but I can't tell anything about them yet.

Hey, ugly silver is still silver :grin:

Congrats Jason! :) That is awesome for twice out. Do you have the SunRay X-1, because you're going to need it. :)

OkieDigger
10-26-2009, 02:58 PM
Okay Dale, tell me this... and I'm asking you because you, like myself, indicated that you are somewhat challenged when it comes to discerning the subtle difference between tones for certain coins :)

You said above that some of the silver dimes (particularly the deeper ones) are coming in at CO 42-43, maybe not even hitting 44. That has been my experience lately too, and I don't think it is because they are on edge. If there is trash or other targets nearby it can affect the CO but usually slowing down will allow to be able to pick through it and hit solidly on the coin, and the numbers will look more like what is expected. As you said, it seems to be the deeper coins and in particular the ones that are more worn and tarnished that read lower.

But my question is... can you hear a difference in the tone? Does a silver coin that comes in at 43-44, like your barber yesterday, 'sound' like a silver dime instead of a clad dime?

Angie, I noticed that yesterday, but wasn't sure if it was just me or not considering that I don't do tones well. They do seem to sound like silver dimes (CO 46). The one I found yesterday was not on edge and it did sound like a CO 46. I'm glad you noticed that too, I'm not crazy after all!

angellionel
10-26-2009, 02:59 PM

Very nice, Jason! I would love to see the photos!

I suspect that gridding that entire area will yield you some very nice finds.

Yeah, the oddly shaped targets, such as the one you dug up, will generally not pinpoint very accurately, nor will the depth be what the depth gauge calculates it to be. I have had such types of targets come in at about 8 inches, and then I end up digging holes of 12 or more. the probe comes in very handy then. Deep coins will generally be closer to the depth the gauge is indicating, though it tends to be off on shallower ones.

OkieDigger
10-26-2009, 03:00 PM

Nice! I think you're getting the hang of it. 8)

angellionel
10-26-2009, 03:55 PM
Those who are looking to try or are currently trying out an E-Trac may find the following helpful in shortening their learning curve.

E-Trac User Settings (http://www.americandetectorist.com/forum/index.php?topic=803.0)

And of course, use this thread as a resource to ask questions, exchange settings, and share the experiences you are having using the machine.

Jason in Enid
10-26-2009, 04:14 PM
Here is a question I had today. What sweep speed is everyone else using?

The manual says to use a 4 second sweep. I almost can't go that slow. It feels incredibly slow to use about 2 -3 seconds per sweep, which is what I was using today. I keep wanting to go back to about 1 second per sweep like the old detector.

OkieDigger
10-26-2009, 04:20 PM
Having used an MXT extensively the last few years, it was hard for me to slow down. I have though and reaped the benefits. I probably use a 3 second swing most of the time. Here's the great thing about the E-Trac, it may seem like it's taking long time to cover a spot, but I'm actually going about as fast as I did with the MXT because I'm digging a lot less trash and finding more goodies.

coinnut
10-26-2009, 07:15 PM
Here is a question I had today. What sweep speed is everyone else using?

The manual says to use a 4 second sweep. I almost can't go that slow. It feels incredibly slow to use about 2 -3 seconds per sweep, which is what I was using today. I keep wanting to go back to about 1 second per sweep like the old detector.

Hi, I adjust my sweep speed in different areas, but not by much. In a field where targets are far and few, I use about a 3-4 second sweep. In areas that are cluttered, especially with iron I use a 5-6 second sweep. It is sometimes in constat null. That is where my E trac picks up coins that were masked from my DFX. I have used White's since 1974 and it was hard to change. But change we must. It is not a White's (or any other fast swing machine) and needs to be swung slowly. As far as some of the questions on pinpointing:huh: I gave that up right after I had a 3 coin Barber quarter spill and gouged the best one. :( I have since bought a Sunray X1 and have not looked back. I must admit - What a pinpointing probe thumbsup01 Try those speeds out in a trashy park. You will be surprised what will show up that is shallow!!! HH

Epi-hunter
10-26-2009, 07:30 PM
I personally have some trouble keeping my swing speed as slow as it should be and I have to constantly remind myself to slow down, even after using a Minelab for years. But recently, using the DFX and swinging faster, it felt very strange to swing fast.

In those trashy areas you have to practically crawl if you don't want to miss the goodies buried among the trash.

Beefcake
10-26-2009, 07:41 PM
Is the 4-5 second swing speed you are referring to consist of a swing in one direction or a total from left to right and back to the left:huh: Just curious.

Epi-hunter
10-26-2009, 07:44 PM
Total... so about two seconds each way.

Jason in Enid
10-26-2009, 08:34 PM
Total... so about two seconds each way.

The manual says 4 seconds for one swing, left-to-right. That would be an 8 second lap.

This is why it's so hard to adjust.

PS, I tossed those coins in the tumbler. I'm gonna check on them in about another hour. They were junked to start with so I'm worried about hurting them.

PPS, I posted the coins in the finds section.

Beefcake
10-27-2009, 09:49 AM
Hmmm.... Okay... which is it? an 8 second lap would be really really slow to swing...good grief!

OkieDigger
10-27-2009, 09:54 AM
I swing 3 seconds from left to right, then another 3 seconds from right to left. It's slow enough for me to find 8 deep silver dimes and wheats without too much trouble. Steve can attest to that having seen how slow I go in person. I also go slower the worse the trash becomes. I think your sweep speed should really be determined by your location and what you're looking for. The worse the soil, the slower you might want to go (with Difficult Ground turned ON). Also, if you're in an area where clad is being found 6 deep, you'll probably want to go slower because more likely than not, the older coins are going to be another 2 or more deeper than that (assuming you're at an older location).

MNDigger
10-27-2009, 10:48 AM
I swing 3 seconds from left to right, then another 3 seconds from right to left. It's slow enough for me to find 8 deep silver dimes and wheats without too much trouble. Steve can attest to that having seen how slow I go in person. I also go slower the worse the trash becomes. I think your sweep speed should really be determined by your location and what you're looking for. The worse the soil, the slower you might want to go (with Difficult Ground turned ON). Also, if you're in an area where clad is being found 6 deep, you'll probably want to go slower because more likely than not, the older coins are going to be another 2 or more deeper than that (assuming you're at an older location).

Yeah Dale has always been a little slow! :grin: J/K
No in all honesty I think the slower you can go in areas where there is trash and iron the better chance you will have at picking up the silver. Time and time again I have personally dug coins right near iron or with iron above the target.

OkieDigger
10-27-2009, 11:26 AM
This weekend I dug a wheat at 4 with a small pipe another 4 below it. Just amazing what this machine can do.

marchas45
10-27-2009, 12:14 PM
Bruce go to TreasureNet.com under classifieds there going from $800-$1000 pretty new and not used that much. I guess some people just can't handle them.

Hi! Bruce here's one good deal: http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,279436.0.html

Beefcake
10-27-2009, 03:03 PM
Dang... that's a good deal... Just wish I had a $1000 crying01

Jason in Enid
10-27-2009, 03:14 PM
OK, I just got back from my 3rd day out with my E-Trac. I went to the same park again. I took the area I have been wandering around in and spent 3 hours working a 150 X 150 foot area. I found 3 more wheaties. Every single one was next to a piece of iron.

But I have a question. I keep getting these little chirps that ID in the 40-50 CO range. All are right on the edge of iron. They aren't very repeatable and the numbers jump quite a bit. My gut tells me these are iron falses. What say you wise E-Trac users?

Also, I've dug a number of pipes, bars, and assorted long, thin targets. Every one seems to have pinpointed (very clearly) in one spot, and it was always at the highest end instead of the whole thing. Has anyone else noticed this?

OkieDigger
10-27-2009, 03:37 PM
Yep, sounds just like rusty iron nails or what not. You're a fast learner. A lot of the iron will chirp CO 47 or 48, but you'll notice the FE is usually 20 or higher. When you switch to quick mask you usually get a solid FE 35 with a CO of 47,48,49 or 50. Also, if you X the iron spot, it may chirp from one direction, but not the other. This is a pretty good indicator of iron.

Jason in Enid
10-27-2009, 04:47 PM
Yep, sounds just like rusty iron nails or what not. You're a fast learner. A lot of the iron will chirp CO 47 or 48, but you'll notice the FE is usually 20 or higher. When you switch to quick mask you usually get a solid FE 35 with a CO of 47,48,49 or 50. Also, if you X the iron spot, it may chirp from one direction, but not the other. This is a pretty good indicator of iron.

Yep, that's it. Only from one direction. The pinpoint is never right under the chirp either. Thanks, I thought that was it, but I wanted to make sure.

OkieDigger
10-27-2009, 04:57 PM
If you haven't done it yet, you might want to turn the Trash Density setting to High. The manual states, In High setting, E-Trac searches for the best accepted target signal during detection and then displays the most stable target ID. Basically it's saying that if you have some iron next to a coin then the coin will show on the display more often than not. It will not be masked by the iron. It works. Repeatedly.

MNDigger
10-28-2009, 12:47 PM
Jason you definately are getting a good handle on the E-trac! The Etrac rarely lies about what the target is when it comes to a coin near iron. I have to agree that it is one of the best features of the machine and definately why I am finding silver in areas where I had gone over with my DFX.

coinnut
10-28-2009, 04:41 PM
Jason you definately are getting a good handle on the E-trac! The Etrac rarely lies about what the target is when it come to a coin near iron. I have to agree that it is one of the best features of the machine and definately why I am finding silver in areas where I had gone over with my DFX.

Yep, what he said!!! :grin:

Jason in Enid
10-29-2009, 08:06 AM
OK, since I was at work and couldn't swing the coil yesterday, I set out to re-read the users manual and Andy's book. I have a correction to an earlier statement.

The sweep speed should be 4 seconds per lap. That's left-right-left. Half the speed I posted earlier.

The extremely slow sweep speed STILL works with the E-Trac (unlike any other brand of machine I've ever used), it's not supposed to be the normal speed.

Just wanted to clarify my mistake.

Relicminer
12-17-2011, 08:44 PM
I will soon be joining the brotherhood... I will order my E-Trac this spring, from New England Detectors, they have quoted me the best price I can find... |:cheering:

mifon
11-27-2012, 10:48 AM
Just wondering what happened to the link to the Etrac settings listed above in this thread. I know it was posted quite a while ago. But, it is still valuable info and very useable!! Maybe it might be refined after additional experience useing the Etrac

Thanks
Mike

mifon
11-27-2012, 12:14 PM
Please disregard previous post. I overlooked sticky that contains exactly the info I was looking for!

Thanks Angel
Mike

POKIE73
11-27-2012, 08:39 PM
i use the settings from a guy named goes forever the silver and clad dimes and quarters do soumd similar as far as sweep speed i too have the whites mentality the older models worked better the faster you sweep it the e trac will work a lot better the slower you can go it takes time dennis

etrac1
12-02-2012, 06:33 PM
I have found the slower the better with the etrac