PDA

View Full Version : This made me laugh.

Jason in Enid
11-18-2009, 04:18 PM
As some of you may remember, when I recieved my E-Trac in the mail last month, I posted that I left like the old man in the movie A Christmas Story when he won his major award.

While I was hunting today I found something that made me feel like Ralphie.... I found a Radio Orphan Annie good luck coin. Unfortunately someone put a nail through it , probably to wear it like a necklace.

No silver, or even wheats today. Just junk, clad and the ROA coin. Maybe next I can find the decoder!

angellionel
11-18-2009, 05:10 PM
That's a nice one, and in very good condition. They generally do not hold up well out here, or at least not at the sites from where I have dug up such tokens.

Jason in Enid
11-18-2009, 05:29 PM
That's a nice one, and in very good condition. They generally do not hold up well out here, or at least not at the sites from where I have dug up such tokens.

Yeah, I dug this from 7 inches deep in an area of nice, black loam. Loam seems much nicer to coins than clay, sand and silt.

I just looked this up, and it is from the 30's! The Ovaltine company stopped producing the ROA items in 1940 when it switch to a different show. It's a shame it has a hole in it, but it's still nice. This was from a new spot I was trying out by an old train depot. TONS of junk, nails, modern coins. There should have been wheats and silver, but I haven't found any yet.

angellionel
11-18-2009, 05:33 PM
Sweet! It's definitely a keeper, even with the hole. thumbsup01

Epi-hunter
11-18-2009, 05:41 PM
That is a great token!!! Has to be worth some money, even with the hole. It's in excellent shape!

coinnut
11-18-2009, 05:46 PM
I agree, it's probably still worth a little bit, even with the hole, that is if you ever wanted to sell it. Or........you could always wear it and be the big guy on the block lol. It's in great shape considering it's age. If there is that much junk there, good coins have to follow. You may have to remove the top layer of junk to even get some deep stuff.

MNDigger
11-18-2009, 05:52 PM
Tokens like that are always really cool to find! Coins are great but tokens are a lot more rare and usually have a story behind them....not to mention can be quite valuable if you find the right ones! thumbsup01

OkieDigger
11-18-2009, 05:54 PM
Nice dig!

marchas45
11-18-2009, 06:43 PM
Cool dig Jason, now your going to receive all the luck to find the silver and gold. thumbsup01

Dave
11-19-2009, 12:36 AM
Nice token! thumbsup01

Lane
11-19-2009, 09:45 PM
Awesome token! Too bad about the hole though. Nice find anyway.

Bentfork
11-19-2009, 11:59 PM
Cool token Jason.

Krom
11-20-2009, 07:44 PM
Awesome find, J... jus' awesome! I watch that movie every time it comes on... sometimes twice in one night! 8)
Like CoinNut said... wear it (that's what I do with my 8 reale... and it has TWO holes)... and I like what Steve said a lot, too (I've shared the same words before, myself) Coins are great, but tokens are a lot more rare!
Jus' to own one of them would make me display it like a lamp in the bay window... and I'd even let my kid stroke it. lol

(Oh... remember to drink your Ovaltine before you click &quot:daydream:N! ;))