PDA

View Full Version : Short hunt hits big Silvers

Myownwings
10-01-2010, 10:49 PM
Only got a chance to hunt for about an hour today, so I went to an old area I knew produced silver. I also wanted to try out my new Radio Shack Wireless headphones. The ground was thoroughly saturated after the 8 of rain we got and my Etrac was running really smooth, so I switched to manual 28 sensitivity. After about 15 minutes and several old wheats cents, I got a solid hit that read max depth. I had difficulty pinpointing the target and it seemed too large but it sounded really solid and sweet and was bouncing around the upper right top corner of the screen so I dug. The ground was so easy to dig compared to the bone dry soil for the past months. The big plug stayed intact and folded over nicely on the hinge. Got out the Garrett Propointer and it told me the target was centered and close. A couple more inches of soft dirt and out comes a 1911 Barber half dollar. Wow! First one I ever dug, what a rush. Then I filled in the hole and started moving slowing around in a circle. About 6' out, the exact same thing as above, but this time a 1918 Standing Liberty half dollar. Needless to say I was, at this point in a bit of shock This was the first Standing Liberty I had ever dug. Two firsts, two big Silvers, and half dollars at that. Incredible. Both were very deep, probably 12 or more. I had been over this area multiple times before with the DFX because it is where I found an 1892 Barber Quarter months ago. The Etrac, set up with many of Angel's suggestions really seems to perform well. This is the best I could get them to look after the baking soda, aluminum foil method.

dave in iowa
10-01-2010, 11:00 PM
great finds , gotta get me one of them e-tracks , next season look out.

Myownwings
10-01-2010, 11:14 PM
Is the 1918 actually called a Walking Liberty. I just seen one over on another forum and that is what they called it. Seems a bunch of people are getting big silvers today. Gotta love the added depth from the heavy rains.

Ill Digger
10-01-2010, 11:29 PM
:shocked04: Whoa!! Two silver halfs in one hunt!!!! thumbsup01 Sweet!!
Its hunts like this one that make the bad hunts hurt so bad lol
Awesome finds!!
Congrats :grin:
Oh ya...you found a Walking Liberty half. The Standing Liberty is a quarter. But we knew what you ment ;)
Killer hunt :clapping:

jkress
10-01-2010, 11:41 PM
:shocked04: :shocked04: :shocked04:

That's one for the books!! Two gorgeous coins in one hunt... very nice.

I also dug a 1918 WLH a few weeks ago... but I hit it. :mad:

On one hand it's hard to believe that coins like that are still in the ground, but finds like yours and others in park areas are what keeps me going back to one of our old big parks. I still haven't pulled a silver from there this year, but I am determined to do it before the end of the year.

Good job on the gut instinct to dig the signal. Just imagine how many people went over it and passed it by.

It's this time of year that makes a person appreciate how nice the ground is to dig in the spring.

Congrats!!

Stang1968
10-02-2010, 01:17 AM
What mint mark does that 1918 carry? That's a nice early walker- hard to find!

Myownwings
10-02-2010, 01:47 AM
It is S

angellionel
10-02-2010, 06:37 PM
Awesome finds! I do love the Walker. That is a good looking Barber too. :smitten: Nice going! thumbsup01

CyberSage
10-02-2010, 06:40 PM
That's just awesome! Oh man! I got to get out hunting this weekend. I does not get any better than this. Beautiful Coins, just beautiful. Well done, thanks for sharing.

Jack

Myownwings
10-02-2010, 06:47 PM
I couldn't wait to get back there today. Six hours, bunch of pennies and dimes, no silver at all..oh well.

Epi-hunter
10-02-2010, 06:47 PM
WOW!!!!

Two incredible coins! Congratulations! They are beautiful! :smitten:

hockeyguy
10-02-2010, 07:04 PM
Huge day for you....congratulations! :peace:

Myownwings
10-02-2010, 07:13 PM
Thanks everyone :)

milco
10-02-2010, 09:52 PM
All I can say is wow...and wow!!! Awesome finds! What great finds, congrats to you!

RobW
10-04-2010, 07:42 AM
Now that IS a great hunt...awsome 2 silver halfs!!!

tanacat
10-04-2010, 08:09 AM
Wow :shocked04:stretcher: they are beautiful and both of them firsts for you too :yes: Big time congrats! I bet you are still pumped with adrenalin from that hunt lol

coinnut
10-04-2010, 05:08 PM
Yep, I bet there was some funky chicken dancing going on there lol Two big ones within a couple of feet :shocked04: Has the smile left your face yet?? When I find the big ones, I just have to look them over a bunch of times. But the wife says absolutely NOT to saving them a space at bedtime :cheesysmile: rofl

Myownwings
10-04-2010, 06:32 PM
In hindsight I actually didn't do any sort of dance. I was kind of stunned, and then stunned again. It was the first time I'd seen either of these coins....I recall how big they seemed down at the bottom of the holes.. Of course, since then I have found absolutely no Silver or anything other than clad. And now Pennsylvania is getting more rain for three days in a row so I will be stir crazy by Thursday.

xzlr8n
10-04-2010, 10:27 PM
Great job!! After finding those two beauties, I'm sure you'll want to get out as much as you can before the ground freezes!! Congrats thumbsup01!!