PDA

View Full Version : Meteorite ?

Cheap Thrills
10-02-2010, 12:38 AM
I found this hot rock last night . It's very heavy and magnetic but it doesn't look like any of the few pictures of meteorites I have seen . Anybody out there know if this is a meteorite ? It is definitely not a petrified turd that fell out of an airliner ( yes those are said to exist ).

Lowjiber
10-02-2010, 06:39 AM
Since moving from Los Gatos, I've done a lot of meteorite hunting (and a little finding) in Arizona. Here is a link with some tests that you can do yourself...the most important being the nickel test.

http://meteorite-identification.com/streak.html

Nickel test kits are cheap and obtainable on the web or at a good pharmacy. Be sure to grind a small, flat spot to ensure that you test the inside and not the shell.

Cheap Thrills
10-02-2010, 01:25 PM
Thanks Lowjiber , that is quite a nice link thumbsup01. I'll bet you found some great old stuff in Los Gatos . My dad used to hunt mushrooms on Mt. St. Charlie's Rd . The last time in his life he went up there ( I drove ) someone had built a home right over his best hunting patch , we were really disappointed (sounds a bit like metal detecting at times doesn't it ? ) .

Lowjiber
10-03-2010, 09:04 AM
If you're really interested in what's happening in the goofy world of meteorite hunting, you need to get yourself on the Meteorite List. It's a daily email of all kinds of articles and other stuff associated with meteorite hunting world-wide. It's free and very informative.

Go here to sign up: http://six.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/meteorite-list

coinnut
10-03-2010, 05:36 PM
I don't know if that is a meteroite or not, but it may well be. Some iron based rocks are magnetic, so that doesn't determine it, but it helps ;) If you get a test kit, let us know if Nickel turns up. Have you ever found a meteorite Baba??

sjv
10-03-2010, 09:40 PM
Thats cool!! What state do you live in?

There must be a science center where a geologist can confirm it and authenticate it. I've seen detectorists in Kansas find ones 50 lbs. and bigger worth 5 -6 figures. That size would be a nice conversation piece for sure.
Great find :clapping: :clapping:

The worst case senario is they say it is just iron ore which kinda looks like what you have, No?

Cheap Thrills
10-03-2010, 10:01 PM
I don't know if that is a meteroite or not, but it may well be. Some iron based rocks are magnetic, so that doesn't determine it, but it helps ;) If you get a test kit, let us know if Nickel turns up. Have you ever found a meteorite Baba??

I have another rock around the house here somewhere that may be a meteorite but I haven't as yet found a proven , tested meteorite . Mine don't look at all like the few I have seen pictured .

Cheap Thrills
10-04-2010, 12:00 AM
Thats cool!! What state do you live in?

There must be a science center where a geologist can confirm it and authenticate it. I've seen detectorists in Kansas find ones 50 lbs. and bigger worth 5 -6 figures. That size would be a nice conversation piece for sure.
Great find :clapping: :clapping:

The worst case senario is they say it is just iron ore which kinda looks like what you have, No?

California . I think it's a cool looking rock myself and I really don't want to break it to see if it is a meteorite . I don't have the foggiest notion what kind of rock it could be but I've never seen one that looked like that around here before .

Nitro 54
12-31-2010, 05:28 PM
Better than finding just a old rock :grin: :grin: