PDA

View Full Version : Silver And Large Cent

angellionel
11-18-2009, 07:50 PM
A return trip to the park to pick up from where I had left off gridding yesterday yielded me four more silver coins, three mercury dimes and one Rosie. I also dug up a 1829 large cent. I was happy to see that it was in fairly good condition, even with the environmental damage .

The large cent was not far from where I dug up the 1917 mercury dime. After digging about nine inches of soil I used the probe to help me determine the location of the target as I did not want to clip it with my digger. The Fe/Co numbers were hitting much like a silver quarter would. I scooped several more inches of soil expecting (hoping for) a Barber quarter or a Standing Liberty quarter. Then I saw the large cent, which was a very nice surprise too. Up to now all the large cents I have picked up with the E-Trac have hit with a Co no higher than 46. This one was hitting a solid 47 while using the probe.

http://www.angellionel.com/myfinds/2009/November/CPH_1829largecent_111809.jpg

Here is one silver coin still encased in soil.

http://www.angellionel.com/myfinds/2009/November/CPH_1917mercinsoil_111809.jpg

It turned out to be a 1917 mercury dime.

http://www.angellionel.com/myfinds/2009/November/CPH_1917merc_111809.jpg

Four more silver dimes added to my collection.

http://www.angellionel.com/myfinds/2009/November/CPH_silverdimes_111809.jpg

HH!

marchas45
11-18-2009, 08:03 PM
Man I want to go to your park but I probably still wouldn't find any silver :lol: :lol: Congrats Angel great finds. :thumbsup01:

coinnut
11-18-2009, 08:29 PM
Nice hunt Angel. Them silvers keep coming at you! You might make 400 yet :lol: Nice surprise on the large cent, it should clean up fairly well. Most every large cent I have found, read 12-46, thicker ones have read 10-46 and some George II, III's have read 12-44 or 45. Never found one that read 12-47 yet. All I find that read that number is ox knobs :crying01:

angellionel
11-18-2009, 09:23 PM
Nice hunt Angel. Them silvers keep coming at you! You might make 400 yet :lol: Nice surprise on the large cent, it should clean up fairly well. Most every large cent I have found, read 12-46, thicker ones have read 10-46 and some George II, III's have read 12-44 or 45. Never found one that read 12-47 yet. All I find that read that number is ox knobs :crying01:

If I make 400 someone better have a video recorder, because I will be doing the Macarena, Samba, and merengue all at once. :lol:

On the large cent, that's why I thought the target was likely going to be a silver quarter. It's the first one I have come across to have hit that high. :huh: I'm glad it wasn't an ox knob though. :lol:

Epi-hunter
11-18-2009, 09:23 PM
When putting the probe into the dug hole you tend to get a more accurate Fe-Co reading because you are closer to the target. And if the coin is more worn, the Co numbers tend to be a bit lower than expected in my experience, correct? This LC is in better condition than most LC's found in the northeast that I have seen (although fairly bad condition compared to how they come out of the ground in the Midwest :) )

I have only found one LC with the E-trac, but it read Co 46-47 before I dug, and closer to 47 with the probe in the hole. It was about six inches. I thought at the time that it was a silver quarter.

Nice finds Angel. Yet again ;)

Jason in Enid
11-18-2009, 10:02 PM
OK, sorry for the side-track, but what the heck is an ox-knob?

catskillcomics
11-18-2009, 10:05 PM
Holy cow.. a few more silver coins and you can do this
http://www.changetowin.org/connect/images/bin-dive.jpg

angellionel
11-18-2009, 10:20 PM

I'm not sure, but I think coinnut had posted a photo of one recently. :lol:

Holy cow.. a few more silver coins and you can do this

:lol: :lol:

Dave
11-19-2009, 12:48 AM
Congratulations on finding even more silver in that mine of your's! Good luck on that 400 number. :thumbsup01:

del
11-19-2009, 03:43 AM
now thats my kind of day Angel some silvers and a large copper cent , keep it up and you'll beat Coinnut to 40 coppers before him :shocked04: :shocked04: :lol:

as for oxknobs he is the king of finding them and probably has a name for each and every one he has now :smitten: :grin:

OkieDigger
11-19-2009, 08:15 AM
Even Plataville doesn't have that much silver. :shocked04:

angellionel
11-19-2009, 09:30 AM
now thats my kind of day Angel some silvers and a large copper cent , keep it up and you'll beat Coinnut to 40 coppers before him :shocked04: :shocked04: :lol:

as for oxknobs he is the king of finding them and probably has a name for each and every one he has now :smitten: :grin:

Are you kidding? :shocked04: :lol: I'm still at the starting line doing my shoelaces. :lol: I think I have only 13 coppers this year, but I'm happy with that, even if all I'm seeing is dust before me. :grin:

Even Plataville doesn't have that much silver. :shocked04:

I'll tell you Dale, one of the things I love about the E-Trac is being able to work the trashy sites most others tend to avoid. I have been doing so with every park I have hit this year, 34 or so, and with the exception of perhaps four or five, they all have yielded at least one silver coin.

coinnut
11-19-2009, 10:42 AM

OK since Del is too busy making his ox knobs into earings and necklaces (he likes to wear them out detecting) :tongue:, I will show you what an ox knob looks like. They are used to put on the cut horns of the ox. I guess oxen can get pretty fiesty and hurt you and each other, so they make these guards for the horns. They ring out between a quarter and half dollar. They are usually deep and are always good for a swear word or two :lol: They are the pull tabs of colonial hunting!!!

MNDigger
11-19-2009, 11:41 AM
Way to pull some more silver from that park Angel! Seems to be a never ending supply of silver there! The LC definatley would have made my day though!

Lane
11-19-2009, 09:35 PM
Sweet! I think those large cents are so cool. Nice digs all the way around.

SeabeeRon
11-20-2009, 05:47 PM
If I make 400 someone better have a video recorder, because I will be doing the Macarena, Samba, and merengue all at once.

OK, everybody get your cameras ready, cuz he just might make it!! :drool: :tongue: :grin:

angellionel
11-20-2009, 05:56 PM
OK, everybody get your cameras ready, cuz he just might make it!! :drool: :tongue: :grin:

I'll make sure to wear a clown outfit too. :lol:

SeabeeRon
11-20-2009, 08:07 PM

I'll make sure to wear a clown outfit too. :lol:

Nah, just put on the 70's detecting wear in that pic that has made the rounds!! :grin:

angellionel
11-20-2009, 08:28 PM
Nah, just put on the 70's detecting wear in that pic that has made the rounds!! :grin:

Even better! :lol:

Krom
11-20-2009, 08:44 PM

Here's a few more different styles, J:
(pesky buggers, with thier silver-soundin' signals, they are)

coinnut
11-20-2009, 08:49 PM
Here's a few more different styles, J:
(pesky buggers, with thier silver-soundin' signals, they are)

Stop it Joe, you are making Del drool :drool: He loves them things. He wears them as hats on his fingers :twirlingeyes: Man they do sound good, don't they:huh:

Krom
11-20-2009, 09:00 PM
I'd make a necklace (like Les's ring necklaces) but I think they'd seriously affect "Blackie" (my DFX). :shocked02:
Dan? Jus' keep tellin' yourself: It's only metal... it's only metal! :cool: