PDA

View Full Version : E- Trac V EMI's.

Eagle 1
11-18-2009, 09:16 PM
How is the new E-Trac working with EMI's. Is enyone haveing problem's with them ?

Eagle 1

angellionel
11-18-2009, 09:31 PM
How is the new E-Trac working with EMI's. Is enyone haveing problem's with them ?

Eagle 1

I haven't had any problems with EMI, or at least none for which I couldn't make an easy adjustment.

Epi-hunter
11-18-2009, 09:39 PM

Eagle 1

I have had no problems with EMI.

I hit the 'noise cancel' button before detecting, and it finds the best channel. If I start noticing some chatter, I just hit it again, and it automatically finds another channel, without forcing a lower sensitivity. It's great! It takes seconds and it's all automatic.

Jason in Enid
11-18-2009, 10:07 PM
I hit the noise cancel button at the start of every hunt, and I have ZERO EMI problems. My last detector gave me fits if I tried to get within 50 yards of a power line. I can hunt directly under them now.

I've heard the DFX was really bad about EMI, especially cell phones? That's why I started looking outside the White's line for the first time in 15 years.

Eagle 1
11-19-2009, 07:06 AM
I've heard the DFX was really bad about EMI, especially cell phones? That's why I started looking outside the White's line for the first time in 15 years.
[/quote]

I had a DFX for 3 years and yes it had a problem with the EMI's. I sold it and got the V3 and it dose not have a problem with the EMI's. It is a much better MD than the DFX. I love my V3 on a lot of things but it seem to have a problem with depth. I only can go 13 on a Kenndy 1/2 dol. Q 101/2 D 6 to 7 and Nics. at 9. I did a test and this is what I got. Can't seem to get it to go deeper. On my last group hunt someone had a E- trac I did much better in trashy spots then the E-Trac useing my 10 DD coil. But the E- trac killed me in depth. He was down about 2 feet and getting a hit and I could not pick it up at all. So I am trying to match the V3 to the E-Trac to see if
it is better then mine. I my just might sell my V3 for the new E- trac :huh:thinkingabout:

Eagle 1

OkieDigger
11-19-2009, 08:25 AM
I get EMI near transformers in Manual mode. Usually 22+ on the Sensitivity. Noise cancel works sometimes, but not always. It can get annoying at times, but I usually just switch to Auto and it goes away. Oklahoma (at least my part of it) has never been nice to high end metal detectors in general. One thing I can tell you for sure, having owned a DFX, the E-Trac is worlds above it in EMI noise reduction. So let me say it this way, yes, you can get EMI, but it's pretty rare and when you do get it, you can switch to Auto and it goes away.

coinnut
11-19-2009, 10:58 AM
I have had very little EMI problems. Auto sens usually works and gives decent depth. It acts up sometimes when you crank the manual sensitivity. I did have some issues when I was surrounded by power lines (in the center of a triangle of power lines) Also the ground was made up of a layer of gravel. I didn't have a lot of time to fool with that situation. But I did go out on a mountain top, which was popular around 1900's. Now they have all kinds of radio station transmitters and microwave dishes. I was able to get really close to them before the machine acted up. I had my DFX up there and could not hunt within 40 yards of those towers. I think I'm still glowing from being that close to those microwave dishes lol I would love to get my hands on a V3 and check out the EMI tollerance.

MNDigger
11-19-2009, 11:52 AM
I sold my DFX to get my Etrac and noticed a world of difference in reducing EMI issues. I have taken my Etrac to several sites that I had a bunch of problems in the past and with the Etrac they were virtually non-existent. Like other's have said the noise cancel feature is excellent and if that does not work you can always switch to auto sensitivity to take care of any issues. As far as depth is concerned i have never burried each denomination of coin to see how deep the Etrac will go in my soil but the deepest coin I have dug so far was a wheat penny at 11 inches.

Eagle 1
11-19-2009, 07:41 PM
I have had very little EMI problems. Auto sens usually works and gives decent depth. It acts up sometimes when you crank the manual sensitivity. I did have some issues when I was surrounded by power lines (in the center of a triangle of power lines) Also the ground was made up of a layer of gravel. I didn't have a lot of time to fool with that situation. But I did go out on a mountain top, which was popular around 1900's. Now they have all kinds of radio station transmitters and microwave dishes. I was able to get really close to them before the machine acted up. I had my DFX up there and could not hunt within 40 yards of those towers. I think I'm still glowing from being that close to those microwave dishes lol I would love to get my hands on a V3 and check out the EMI tollerance.

I am going to try to do a real good test on each coin to see the real depth with the V3. I hope I can do this on sat. I have had no problems with EMI's with the V3.

Eagle 1

Epi-hunter
11-19-2009, 07:58 PM
I had a DFX for 3 years and yes it had a problem with the EMI's. I sold it and got the V3 and it dose not have a problem with the EMI's.
I did not have the same experience with the V3 in terms of EMI. I bought one and used it for two weeks before switching to the E-trac because of the EMI problem.

I had a great deal of problems with it, particularly here in KY. I could do nothing with it in my backyard (rural residential subdivision, no wires etc. in view) because the EMI just drove me crazy. I had no problems with the E-trac in the same location.

I know from reading some V3 threads that people have employed various methods to solve this issue with success, but in all honesty I just didn't want to deal with it.

Eagle 1
11-19-2009, 10:25 PM
Well I think the best thing about the V3 is it comes with a back ho lol. Only problem is I have not found enthing that deep. I know my large cent coin sead 18 in. So I though it realy was 18 cm what ever that is ??. I did not see that. A bough a week leater I saw cm next the depth. I must have changhed it with out knowing it. I took me 15 min. with the EMI at the beach and I was set. Lots of wiers there at the peir.

Eagle 1

Epi-hunter
11-19-2009, 10:45 PM
Ahh, now I understand. 18 cm is approximately equal to 7 inches, and a large cent (or any coin) should sing out nicely at that depth with most any mid to high level detector.

bigjohn070
11-25-2009, 08:58 PM
My buddy's V3 gets torn up
on EMI drives him batty

HH
BIG JOHN

Ron in WY
11-25-2009, 10:27 PM
Have not experienced EMI on the E-TRAC here in WY. Can't comment on the V3 as I only know what I've read in the operators manual. There are some places (my property) where I can run manual 30 and others where manual 25 or 26 is tops. I'm thinking that I probably NOISE CANCEL more frequently than most but it's easy and not bothersome to me. HH

Ron

OkieDigger
11-25-2009, 11:01 PM
My buddy's V3 gets torn up
on EMI drives him batty

HH
BIG JOHN

Romeo7? Pretty sure I told him to get an E-Trac. ;) I will say this though, my MXT is awesome with the EMI. I basically never have a problem with it. I run it hot all the time also. It's a shame White's never made a high powered MXT with a backlight and tones. I'd probably be swinging one of those right now instead of the E-Trac. However, now that I have an E-Trac, you'll have to pry it out of my cold, dead fingers. lol

bigjohn070
11-26-2009, 11:06 AM
Romeo7? Pretty sure I told him to get an E-Trac.

Yes Mark Is having quite a time with EMI.
Funny he said the same thing about the MXT
with back light and screen.