PDA

View Full Version : So much potential...

Jason in Enid
10-06-2010, 03:39 PM
Yesterday, my job took me to another town. So I did a park check and put the detector in the car. After completing my work I fund a very nice park, city block in size. It is old (for oklahoma), and looks to date back to at least the 30's. The bad news from my 1 hour hunt is that the place is loaded with iron and trash. Frankly, what park isn't? Anyway, I was finding coins including quarters and even a half dollar. All were only about a 1/2 inch or less deep. Never got a deeper signal. They were mostly from the '70s and 80s, and really looked like they had been there that long. The ground was also dry as dust, so I'm glad I didn't find anything deeper that time. I was really shocked to see that half come out. It read perfectly on my E-Trac too. I was sure it was going to be trash.

Those finds, even though there weren't a lot, show that this place has a lot of potential for silver. I just wish it wasn't over an hour away! crying01 I can;t afford the gas to drive there just to detect.

angellionel
10-06-2010, 04:11 PM
That park definitely sounds promising. The dates on the clad coins is one of the things I look for when scouting out new parks. They can be a good indicator of a park's potential for yielding older coins. I hope you can get back there again soon, preferably when you can spend a good amount of time detecting the park.

Lowjiber
10-06-2010, 04:25 PM
Maybe after some rain? Might help with deeper targets?

coinnut
10-06-2010, 06:09 PM
Maybe you can plan a trip there if you go out that way for some other reason too. That way it's something you would have to do and still get some fun from it. Old clad is a good thing, but I agree, some heavy rain may be needed to find the deep stuff.

Dick Stout
10-14-2010, 07:26 PM
Living in Texas....wait for some rain. The ground conditions in this area are the worst I have seen this year.

Jason in Enid
10-14-2010, 07:40 PM
Yeah, we went weeks without rain. Had a shower go through last week so things have improved, but I haven't been back up to that town.

I was thinking about my last hunt though. The one where I gave up because of too many coins. This spot could be near virgin. There are a lot of power lines running right next to that park, and IIRC I gave up my previous hunt (diff detector) becuase of severe interference. Even my E-Trac which handles interference great was affected somewhat. If it's too bad for other machines, everyone else may have given up too. It may be worth it to dig out all that top stuff.

Cheap Thrills
10-16-2010, 03:50 PM
Got any detecting buddies you can split the gas costs with ?

Jason in Enid
10-16-2010, 09:10 PM
There some other local hunters, but my problem is timing. I have 3 jobs so detecting time is random, and sporadic. It's almost impossible to schedule a time to hunt.

Jason in Enid
10-16-2010, 09:21 PM
:huh:

coinnut
10-16-2010, 09:22 PM
There are a lot of power lines running right next to that park, and IIRC I gave up my previous hunt (diff detector) becuase of severe interference. Even my E-Trac which handles interference great was affected somewhat.

Even the E Trac is affected by them lines. It just doesn't show it by falsing like crazy. But I bet the depth is greatly affected and you will probably see the suggested sensitivity plummet on the scale. I've noticed that running smoothly doesn't always equate to running deep. But, you are correct in thinking if everyone elses machines are falsing, no one is going to stick it out there. I would adjust your sensitivity number by number until it falses and then back it down one. Good luck there Jason.