PDA

View Full Version : Great Hunt at Hotel - Silver + a first for me

catskillcomics
10-07-2010, 05:35 PM
Went back to the site of the hotel on my friends property for few hours this afternoon. The weather was great, sunny & mid 60s... and it was, to me, a nice hunt. The EMI was still high, I brought the sensitivity down to 62 and still was getting a lot of noise.. so I did the best I could with the EMI.
While digging one of the holes, I nearly killed a little friendly critter with the shovel :-\ ... I picked him up and moved him to a safer place :)

Anyways, I pulled up 18 wheaties, 3 mercs, 1917,1943,1945, ... to my surprise I also picked up a 1920 5cent silver canadian coin, at first I thought I had landed my first 3 cent piece... but I'm just as happy with a 5 cent silver coin :yes: Also in the silver dept. , got a nice little silver religious medallion.
Got myself another Indian Head penny, 1906... 1945 War nickel, and a first for me!!!! A Shield nickel.. the one side is very nice, but the date side was trashed... but it is a variety 2 nickel, which puts it between 1867-1883... I'll take it!!! Lastly, I found a very worn penny.. smooth on both sides, exactly the same size as a penny, so Im guessing its either a Wheatie or an Indian head... just odd it was so smooth... Im hoping to head back to this spot again soon...

angellionel
10-07-2010, 06:45 PM
That was a great hunt, Scott! You picked up some beauties. Congrats on the shield nickel too. They sure do make for an exciting find. :yes:

coinnut
10-07-2010, 07:08 PM
Hey Scott, Great finds again! :shocked04: Nice Shield nickel and 5 cent silver :clapping: Some really nice finds and a good amount of silver too. That penny may be a blank planchet. Sometimes they get the rim created, but miss the press. lol I have a nickel blank the wife got in change. Has a rim, but no portrait. That place is a great find in itself!!! :happydance01:

del
10-07-2010, 07:49 PM
great day Scott , beauty of a fishscale and its nice to see a shield nickle now and then . congrats on the choice coinage my friend .

Beefcake
10-07-2010, 07:51 PM
Nice variety of really good finds!

randy
10-07-2010, 09:17 PM
Sweet hunt, love the medallion. I found a blank disk like that, turned out to be an IH after looking at it under water at the right angle.

milco
10-08-2010, 07:24 AM
Great hunt! Sounds like you have plenty of ground to cover to keep you busy for awhile. Those 5 cent Canadians are very cool!

jkress
10-08-2010, 08:09 AM
This was a very successful hunt. A great big variety of nice keepers.

The shield nickel is a great find, I've haven't even added a V to my collection.

You sure have a gem of a spot to hunt, there are plenty of goodies there for you to find yet.

Congrats.

RobW
10-08-2010, 09:09 AM
Wow! Great Haul! Congrats.