PDA

View Full Version : short cellar hunt & 1920's home hunt

HEAVYMETALNUT
11-19-2009, 08:00 PM
2 days ago went for a short cellar hole hunt.a iron buckle,a small D type buckle and a large squared nail or spike.
i was studying the iron buckle and it sure makes ya think how much time was put into making one of these.i used to dismiss them as junk but now i can appreciate some colonial blacksmith banging and forming this with tongs and a hammer on a anvil.just look at the V type groove where the buckle pin is supposed to lay in and they had to hammer the buckle pin around the buckle to make it swivel.just a thought to ponder sometime
the way stuff is made today we forget what real craftmanship was like back in the day

fast forward>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.

so today i went back to a home that gave up a few mercs in the past and slowed down and took my time.i was suprised at all the coins still in the yard.
a 1943-P silver war nickel,a 1919 buffalo nickel,a TK token good for 5 cents.(gotta ask my dad about this token as he remembers all these local tokens as a kid) a load of wheaties in the bottom part of total finds pic and a neat WW II bronze distinguished flying medal.
the rest was clad.
dave

HEAVYMETALNUT
11-19-2009, 08:01 PM
more pics

MNDigger
11-19-2009, 08:06 PM
Great looking couple hunts! I really like the WWII medal! It would have been really cool if it was silver! thumbsup01

angellionel
11-19-2009, 08:20 PM
A nice selection of finds. I sure do love finding the wartime nickels, as they don't come by very often. I do know what you mean about appreciating the time and effort that used to go into making iron buckles, and other such items, back in Colonial times. Finding such items can be a history lesson in itself.

Epi-hunter
11-19-2009, 08:21 PM
Great post and excellent photos!

I love the relics, like the buckle as you mention and especially the WWII flying medal. To me they are better than silver coins because they are more unique :)

del
11-19-2009, 08:41 PM
the early pioneers sure made things to last , but that was only half of it Dave what about all the work that went in to get the iron ( either mine it from rocks or collect the peat or bog iron from the mud) then to smelt it down to get the stuff we are familiar with finding . thats why it was a valuable commodity back then .

nice aviator's metal Dave.

Dan

HEAVYMETALNUT
11-19-2009, 08:47 PM
the early pioneers sure made things to last , but that was only half of it Dave what about all the work that went in to get the iron ( either mine it from rocks or collect the peat or bog iron from the mud) then to smelt it down to get the stuff we are familiar with finding . thats why it was a valuable commodity back then .

nice aviator's metal Dave.

Dan

thanks Dan!

hmm never thought about getting the iron?wow! but this buckle still works after probably 200 years in the ground and being iron.it was a rusty blob in the center when i dug it up.the swivel part was fused to the frame.i hammered all the clumps of rust off.oiled it up and it works like a charm still thumbsup01

HEAVYMETALNUT
11-19-2009, 08:51 PM
A nice selection of finds. I sure do love finding the wartime nickels, as they don't come by very often. I do know what you mean about appreciating the time and effort that used to go into making iron buckles, and other such items, back in Colonial times. Finding such items can be a history lesson in itself.

thanks angel! i find quite a few of the silver war nickels.

HEAVYMETALNUT
11-19-2009, 11:13 PM
this is a WWII distinguished flying coss medal given out to airmen who fought brave;y during war.

OkieDigger
11-20-2009, 07:42 AM
Nice looking stuff!

Dave
11-20-2009, 11:58 AM
Kick butt, dude! That WWII medal is a nice find! Not to mention the rest of your digs. Sweet! thumbsup01

coinnut
11-20-2009, 12:23 PM
Not a bad little hunt. Nice flying cross. Would make for a great display center piece of all the military finds you get. Houses are tough to get silver sometimes. But at least there ain't any clad left lol

HEAVYMETALNUT
11-20-2009, 07:57 PM
Not a bad little hunt. Nice flying cross. Would make for a great display center piece of all the military finds you get. Houses are tough to get silver sometimes. But at least there ain't any clad left lol

thanks!I'm gonna see if the homeowner was in the service and if this was his medal.he's in the convalescent home right now but should be home soon.

Krom
11-20-2009, 09:11 PM
HMN... that flyin' medal is about as good as it gets, man!
That is ONE AWESOME, AND SUPER-RARE dig, man! Good for you!!! thumbsup01