PDA

View Full Version : Great news for me!!

pulltabsteve
10-09-2010, 10:20 PM
Some may remember me posting about a private park I have permission to detect.Exclusive, I might add. I have been going here for the last 4 years, almost every weekend. I have met lot of nice folks at this place and found lots of old coins and relics. Some coins going back to the 1700s. I became close friends with the caretaker of this park. He's an older gent in his early 70s. He is called the un-official mayor of the town because he knows everyone! The park was donated to the town in 1939. Before that it was a farm, going back to the mid 1800s and Im told that before that it was an indian village. Well last night I get a phone call from the caretaker. He tells me that at the historical society(HS) meeting the members got on the topic of treasures buried in the town. He tells them about me. He tells about all the interesting things I have found in the park. Some of the people wanted my number to detect their property! 200 year old houses and land that was used in the early 1700s. The cartaker asked If id be willing to get some of the items I have found together so that the people in the HS could see and feel the items from the past. I brought him the items today along with a bunch of business cards.The folks in the HS all have stories that were handed down about silver buried on their property. This town was 1 of the hubs for the British during the revolution. Lots of the folks in this town buried their valuables because they feared the British would steal it. Well this 1 woman has a story of her great grandfather buring a container of gold coins on her land. She swears its still there...Somewhere. Could be a very interesting fall, winter and spring :peace:

rsarge1
10-09-2010, 11:00 PM
sounds sweet good luck on your hunt

Lowjiber
10-10-2010, 07:00 AM
:clapping: You're in!!!! :clapping:

kenfen
10-10-2010, 07:52 AM
Spread the love and it comes right back to you. I can't wait to see the amount of great stuff you're going to fine, Steve.

Good one!

Regards, Ken

BlackZ51Vett
10-10-2010, 07:58 AM
Packing my bags......be there in the morning. :drool:

Great score. Good luck.

Jason in Enid
10-10-2010, 10:31 AM
I'll be joining BlackZ51Vett. You need some help with all that new land to hunt! thumbsup01

Congrats on such a great opportunity you have!

jkress
10-10-2010, 11:43 AM
Congrats Steve!! :clapping:

Sounds like you can remove the where do I hunt next? variable from the treasure hunting process... you are set.

You must be a great 'Leave no trace' digger to get a nice recommendation from the caretaker to the rest of the group. :yes:

Let us know of all the great things you find.

little man
10-10-2010, 01:09 PM
that SWEET keep us post we want to the goodies good luck <: <: <: <: <: <:

coinnut
10-10-2010, 05:18 PM
Wow :shocked04: :shocked04: Are you sure you are awake?? lol lol You may want to make some sort of agreement if you find a cache though. But that kind of offer never comes around, where I'm from. Our historical society would want it all lol

angellionel
10-10-2010, 10:02 PM
That sounds like a dream come true! :drool: Keep us posted, for it looks like you will be making some great finds! :smitten:

leslie(nova scotia)
10-12-2010, 04:25 AM
From the land of the Bluenose.....great news for sure. Would be nice to see some past and present photos of the park. Good luck on the hunts.

RobW
10-12-2010, 09:48 AM
Well sounds like you are all set, don't even have to hunt for a place to hunt!

hockeyguy
10-12-2010, 04:55 PM
I'll be right there hold on. :clapping:

pulltabsteve
10-12-2010, 05:18 PM
Well, got a call today from the caretaker. The meeting went great and everyone was amazed at what was found in the park. Most of the people never even held a Spanish Reale before so they were in awe. First spot! <: :happydance01: There is an old house owned by the HS. Dates back to the early 1700s. They are moving the house in a few months to another old property. They want me to detect both properties before and after the dozers come. These are private/historic properties. I will be given a note allowing me to be there. No set times to detect. They said I can come and go as I please. <: Spending 4+ years at the same site and taking time to talk and listen to all the locals is paying off big time.

Jason in Enid
10-12-2010, 06:33 PM
If you have the ability, you should video your hunts at these spots. They could be busts, or they could be true gold mines of coins and artifacts. You could make a display of some of your finds and present it to the historical society in appreciation of letting you hunt. Could go towards letting you hunt other private sites in the future.

pulltabsteve
10-12-2010, 08:51 PM
If you have the ability, you should video your hunts at these spots. They could be busts, or they could be true gold mines of coins and artifacts. You could make a display of some of your finds and present it to the historical society in appreciation of letting you hunt. Could go towards letting you hunt other private sites in the future.

I already presented the Histoical Society with a display last year. If the sites produce as well as Im thinking they will, another display will be made for the town museum.

Jason in Enid
10-12-2010, 09:36 PM
thumbsup01

BOWSER
10-17-2010, 07:00 PM
wonderin if you always hunt alone there, I could be available next summer :clapping:

pulltabsteve
10-17-2010, 07:37 PM
wonderin if you always hunt alone there, I could be available next summer :clapping:

Jim, you know you are always welcome.

milco
10-21-2010, 07:46 PM
Very cool, good luck and please keep us posted on the finds!

tanacat
10-27-2010, 07:55 AM
Wow Steve! That is fantastic :clapping: Please keep us posted- you know we are all living through you on this one. The gold cache would be especially exciting :yes: That's great you can hunt that spot 'before and after the dozers come'.

I put flyers and my business cards on bulletin boards in my community- in fact I used the flyer you sent me- I got a call the next morning for an old settlement on the river bank on a man's farm. He found some foundation and domesticated flowers... Waiting for winter though, it's over grown down there. Or maybe I should take a weedeater :) I also got a call to find a gold ring with Alexandrite stone (getting ready to look now that it rained). Thanks again for that flyer!

Epi-hunter
10-27-2010, 10:27 AM
What an opportunity Steve! :happydance01:

What I really like about this story is that you have the buy-in and respect of the town members, instead of having them wonder why you are digging in the park. That speaks volumes about your character and how you have interacted with others during the last four years while detecting there. thumbsup01