PDA

View Full Version : Just got permission to hunt a summer camp...

Canardly
10-10-2010, 04:58 PM
and will be visiting the grounds soon to check it out. The camp was built in 1922 and the main area used by the campers in season is about 40 acres. Is there a primary target area that you would hit first in a place like this?

coinnut
10-10-2010, 05:22 PM
and will be visiting the grounds soon to check it out. The camp was built in 1922 and the main area used by the campers in season is about 40 acres. Is there a primary target area that you would hit first in a place like this?

First of all Congratulations on a great place to hunt :clapping: I would look over the area and find the most popular areas to sit (like a picnic spot, swimming area or just plain old individual camp sites. Any place that activities took place (like football) is good also. But I usually just wander until I hit some pocket spills....then I concentrate on that area. Good luck and keep us posted.

CyberSage
10-10-2010, 09:25 PM
Take me with you and I will show you. lol

Canardly
10-12-2010, 09:15 PM
Well, I got two hours in at the camp yesterday. I hunted up the paths towards the oldest building in camp which used to be the general store and found four zincolns. Also lots of iron signals from almost one hundred years of human habitation. I'm returning later to hunt towards the older cabins and the large activity grounds next to the cafeteria. I'm beginning to believe campers keep their coins in their luggage when they get to camp!

As a side note: the director asked me if there was a chance I could find a lost time capsule buried in 1922. All they know is it was placed at the foot of a certain type of tree. No idea how deep or what the container was made of. Oh well.

coinnut
10-13-2010, 06:51 AM
As a side note: the director asked me if there was a chance I could find a lost time capsule buried in 1922. All they know is it was placed at the foot of a certain type of tree. No idea how deep or what the container was made of. Oh well.

You may be able to find that time capsule :confused: I would think it would be burried in metal since it is in 1922. But don't use any discrimination lol Look for a long iron signal. Could also be a Mason jar too. The tree may be gone by now though. On the DFX set your recovery speed to 35 so that the machine resets quicker. If you have a smaller coil, like the 4x6 or the 5.3, it would help a lot. Dig any signals that sound different from the rejected iron. Careful, good targets may still sound ratty, just different from the ratty iron signals. Good luck.

Epi-hunter
10-13-2010, 10:41 AM
Sounds like a great opportunity. There has to be some old coins there :yes:

Any chance you can talk to any people who used the camp back then? Someone should have a recollection of where the capsule was buried in general, I would think.