PDA

View Full Version : Recent outings!! Plus a newbie finds a 1918 Merc!!

xzlr8n
10-10-2010, 10:32 PM
Had the good fortune of hunting two old houses last weekend and this weekend. Last weekend I pulled out a bunch of clad and a rough looking 1899 Barber :shocked04: that was blackened and encrusted. Was next to a piece of zinc or tin in the ground. Tin foil/baking soda/water loosened up some stuff and only turned it gray colored. Basically had to scrub it down with baking soda to clean it up. I dried it off and let it rest on the counter overnight. Next day I see that it is tarnishing rather quickly with hints of rainbow colors, the picture you see is after a week and I think it is done now. Pretty cool looking other than the pitting.

Today I hunted at a home belonging to my bowling team mate. The house was built in the forties but sites on an older site that dates back to the settling of the area (ca 1800). I had my son and a friend with me for the hunt also. I offered up my idle MXT to the homeowner and after a quick lesson we were all hunting. My son had 5 wheats and a small silver ring; my friend Don had a pocketful of finds including several wheats and a 1942-d Merc, I had 7 wheats, a trade token, prayer pendant, and a lone '45 Merc; Dan the homeowner/bowling team mate/rookie MD'er had several coins and a surprise 1918 Merc <:!! Needless to say I think he might be hooked, I offered to let him borrow my MXT for a while and he didn't say no. I hope he joins are small band of treasure hunters. All in all we all had a great time on a beautiful fall afternoon. Enjoy pic's!!!

jkress
10-10-2010, 10:36 PM
Awesome finds.... neat story on the Barber! I haven't heard that before.

Nice job on introducing someone new to the hobby. It's always nice to share the fun!! :clapping:

Congrats.

angellionel
10-11-2010, 08:50 AM
I love the the old Barber dime. :smitten: It looks great even with the bit of pitting it has. :yes: Sweet finds for sure!

coinnut
10-11-2010, 02:09 PM
A lot of finds come out of there. That Barber has the same colors that oil on water makes. Cool looking coin. I would leave it that way :yes: Looks like everyone had some decent finds, but I'm not sure you're gonna see that MTX ever again lol Nice hunt, sounds like everyone had a good time thumbsup01

RobW
10-12-2010, 10:01 AM
Nice. Love how you got the homeowner involved. I'll keep that in mind too, maybe I'll go to Radio Shark and buy one for their use leaving me with the good stuff lol