PDA

View Full Version : 10 Silvers and a Service Medal

z118
10-11-2010, 07:01 PM
Lots of digging this weekend... after 13 wheats and no silver last weekend I was really itching to find something shiny this weekend. Well, I got it! It turned out to be one of my best weekends ever. The weather was great and Fall is in the air and of course good finds help too when it comes to how much fun you have.

Anyway, I got out Friday evening for a short while before dark, not expecting much. But very unexpectedly a nice Rosie showed up which was a great way to start the weekend!

Saturday I planned on a big tot lot day. I headed a few towns away to a school with several large tot lots. I reverted back to the Tracker IV (instead of the Compadre) because of the amount of ground I had to cover... the 10 coil is just so much faster. The tot lots were mostly a bust though, and I found myself heading home early. On a whim, I decided to do a little dirt digging at an old favorite place of mine (that I've started thinking of as hunted out). The weather was flawless and the digging conditions were perfect as I started hunting in a few out of the way areas. An odd early find was a National Defense Service medal... I wonder how this was lost, and how much it is missed. From what I gather it is awarded to all service memebers during certain periods but I will still think it would mean a great deal to someone. At any rate, I kept hunting and scored a few wheats and a '48 nickel before a silver Rosie popped out, which made my day. A short while later I did the dance big time as a well worn '36 Quarter was coaxed from the ground.

Sunday morning I headed to a spot that I had not yet hunted with the E-trac. I was hoping for silver but knew my chances were only mediocre. This spot is huge and is riddled with pennies for some reason. My first target was a silver Rosie! I hunted for another two hours and scored a few wheats, a ton of Lincolns, and a bit of clad.

Monday I took off from work in order to enjoy life... and that meant detecting in the morning and tearing around in the afternoon with the boy. As with Saturday, I planned on hitting a few tot lots first thing, but again, they were busts. So I got back into the dirt with the E-trac and did GREAT! In 2.5 hours I landed only 34 coins but of among those 34 coins were 13 wheats, a 1945 Canadian penny, a 1952 nickel, 1 clipped 1960 quarter, 2 Rosies, and 3 Mercs! Interstingly, about 5 feet from the quarter I dug one of the missing pieces... it must have lost a fight with a lawn mower. I wish I found the last missing piece but maybe next time...

Total for the long weekend was 234 coins worth $17.10. No gold or silver jewelery, but the 10 silver coins makes it one of my best weekends yet. I should have know that if I was digging 10 silvers Angel was somewhere digging 5 times as many!!! lol lol

Happy hunting!

z118
10-11-2010, 07:02 PM
And some pics of my hike with my son, which was even better than detecting!

Jason in Enid
10-11-2010, 07:10 PM
Wow, that's a huge haul of coins! That's also a huge amount of silver, CONGRATS!!! You must have doing something like this.. :happydance01: <:

milco
10-11-2010, 07:16 PM
Congrats on some great hunting and outstanding finds!

z118
10-11-2010, 07:21 PM
Thanks guys!

I also got a crappy sounding but still interesting coin tone and dug this mess... found pennies somehow rusted / fused together. At first I was thinking it was a coin spill and there might have been a steel sent in there? But I broke them apart and two were wheats, the other two were copper memorials.

Weird!

coinnut
10-11-2010, 08:28 PM
What a great bunch of hunts Z :clapping: 10 silvers definately can make you smile :cheesysmile: Love the silvers, love the service medal, and really love the scenery!! Congrats on a great series of hunts :clapping: Them pennies may have been in a small little metal case, like a Sucrets box (wild cherry I think lol) and it rusted away.

hockeyguy
10-11-2010, 08:35 PM
Very nice......I am always impressed with your persistence! :peace:

angellionel
10-11-2010, 09:07 PM
Fantastic, Matt! If you say you are not proud of those hunts I might as well throw my machine away. lol You did have an excellent weekend. A big congrats! thumbsup01

Epi-hunter
10-11-2010, 09:09 PM
Wow, that is fantastic! Congrats on the silvers and I love the medal!

I can't believe you found both pieces of the quarter thumbsup01

You are an excellent photographer :yes:

jkress
10-11-2010, 09:56 PM
:shocked04: :shocked04: :shocked04:

Super weekend Z!!

What a way to add to your silver total for the year.

The clipped quarter and found piece are kind of cool.

Congrats.

catskillcomics
10-12-2010, 06:31 AM
Great Job Z!! :beerbuddy:

SeabeeRon
10-12-2010, 02:47 PM
Congratz on a great hunt Mr Z!! :clapping:

xzlr8n
10-12-2010, 06:05 PM
Wow!! Great weekend and a Monday too!! That is about 0.904 oz or $21 in Silver at $23 an ounce!!!!

HEAVYMETALNUT
10-12-2010, 08:56 PM
what a handful of finds! congrats on all that silver.the qtr looks intentionally clipped and nice nature shots to top it all off thumbsup01

BillZ
10-16-2010, 08:10 PM
Excellent hunt and pics Z!
Looks like that E-trac is doing it's job!

zrickkid
10-16-2010, 10:57 PM
That medal is very cool. Also congrats on the silvers. Its weird you found some pieces of that decapitated Washington. Keep up the god work.