PDA

View Full Version : Scarce Lafayette Commemorative button

HEAVYMETALNUT
10-12-2010, 08:12 PM
Got out for a 2 hour hunt with fastfrank late this afternoon to a old site that we hit pretty hard and has given up a few goodies in the past.was almost dark and nothing much was coming up.could barely see my screen was so dark by now and got a decent penny/dime/zinc penny reading at 4 inches.i pouched it thinking ok a flat button with busted shank.didn't get totally skunked.got home ready to scrub it and see a bust showing through the dirt :confused: :shocked04:

frank pulled a 2 piece log cabin william harrison campaign button from this site last month so,i was thinking it was related in some way.
google searched william harrison buttons and this popped up.
Scarce Lafayette Commemerative button from his return visit of 1824.
it's the 3rd button down on the link below
http://www.civilwarbuttons.com/patriotic.htm
happy trails relic hunters!

del
10-12-2010, 08:27 PM
do you know if you have the 21 mm version or the 17mm , or even the 15mm size yet , and 1824 was the year of the first issue of a similar version with the signature at the bottom under the bust yours looks like the later issue maybe closer to 1830 . regardless of the above info it is a very nice historical piece Dave and deserves my congrats to you for finding it . :clapping: :clapping:

HEAVYMETALNUT
10-12-2010, 08:29 PM
do you know if you have the 21 mm version or the 17mm , or even the 15mm size yet , and 1824 was the year of the first issue of a similar version with the signature at the bottom under the bust yours looks like the later issue maybe closer to 1830 . regardless of the above info it is a very nice historical piece Dave and deserves my congrats to you for finding it . :clapping: :clapping:

thanks Dan.no clue on the mm size.i think i may have to buy a pair of vernier calipers at some point i guess :confused:

del
10-12-2010, 08:33 PM
thanks Dan.no clue on the mm size.i think i may have to buy a pair of vernier calipers at some point i guess :confused:
no need to do that just match it up to a modern nickle if its about the size that would make it 21 mm

HEAVYMETALNUT
10-12-2010, 08:35 PM
no need to do that just match it up to a modern nickle if its about the size that would make it 21 mm

yup just a hair smaller than a nickel