PDA

View Full Version : Ohio Bean Fields Using Two-Tone Ferrous

Bell-Two
10-13-2010, 04:55 PM
Sunday was a beautiful but warm day; blue October skies highlighted our hunt in bean fields in rural Ohio. I drove up to meet my friend Terry to learn more about the Two-Tone Ferrous option on the E-Trac. What I learned is this, it takes a field that is iron infested where your threshold nulls out constantly and makes it viable to find masked targets. Is it easy to use, not really if you are not familiar with it, you must pay more attention to each sound that you hear for sometimes you hear a high tone between iron grunts. It is an option that proves its worth in the proper arena to use it in. While it takes some time to get used to the many signals it is more than a fad it is a useful tool to have in your arsenal. If you decide to try it, have patience, pay attention to what your machine is telling you and sweep slow…real slow and it will reward you.

We hit one field and did not have much luck, we knew where the old house had been located but the prime area we wanted to hunt already had wheat starting to sprout in it so of course we did not disturb that. We went on to another field that Terry mapped out we had only been there a few minutes when I found an Excelsior button, nothing special but a nice find. We each took an area to hunt and then I heard Terry say “You might want to video this”, he came over holding a dirt clod and peeking out of it was a silver coin, at first we thought maybe it is a Merc but judicious application of a little water quickly showed it to be something better an 1876 Seated dime! Love those Centennial year coins! About 10 minutes later I got a sweet high pitch signal just whispering between the iron the 15-44 signal turned out to be a 1911 D Barber dime my first Barber ever. I gave a whoop and Terry came over to see it, I think he was as happy as I was. Jamie DFX joined us a bit later and he made a few finds including a nice little ring and a bent 1910 wheatie. Jamie will have to change his handle since he now swings an E-Trac as well. Then in a small area I recovered my first Indian Head and within moments Terry pulled up a beautiful 1865! The video will show the fun we had. Thanks Terry and Jamie for making a wonderful hunt.

Hunting With Bell-Two #19 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoB3yaiD3mI#ws)

Epi-hunter
10-13-2010, 07:09 PM
Beautiful finds and great story!!! :clapping:

Sounds like my favorite kind of place :)

angellionel
10-13-2010, 07:34 PM
Sweet finds there, BT! The design on those old silver coins are lovely, unlike the dull designs of our modern coins. I do love the Indian Head cents too. thumbsup01

Jason in Enid
10-13-2010, 08:28 PM
Looks like you all have great field to hunt, those are some really nice finds. Congrats!!

Exploreruser
10-14-2010, 12:05 PM
That was a great video with some great finds, That makes me want to get out & hunt a field.. :)