PDA

View Full Version : The 6X10 And D2 Coil - EMI Comparisons

CyberSage
10-14-2010, 02:07 PM
I recently hunted a parkway strip that was at the center of a busy intersection. It used to be the front approach of an old train station that no longer exist. From old pictures this centralized grassy area looked to be unchanged in it's appearance. I decided this would be a good location for a hunt. This was a triangle shaped area surrounded by busy streets. Stoplights, automatic doors, power lines and transformers were all in close proximity. I started with the D2 Coil using my usual Correlated program. The detector became stable at an RX of 6 and a DS of 89, pinpoint mode was very noisy. I adjusted frequency offset and settled at -1. I started swinging and finding clad dimes and pennies at variuos depths. I finally encountered a deeper hit at around 6.5 to 7 inches. It was a challenge to pinpoint, but finally got it marked off. I decided before digging to switch to the 6X10 coil and test it over this target. I walked across the intersection and swapped coils at my car. On returning back to the grass area I re-ground balanced and checked offset. I left it at the same -1 setting. I was able to adjust up the RX to 9 and the DS to 93. I swung a little away from my marked area and then approached and swung over the mark. There was no response. I watched my display to see if there was a wrap going on. It stayed clean, I could not see the coin with the 6X10 coil. Oddly enough I could pinpoint it a little easier. I left the target went through the whole balance procedure and tried again. Still no hit! Back to the car to swap coils again. Stabilized the V3 and ground balanced with the D2 again. I approached the target and it sounded immediately from to different angels. I dug and found a Memorial cent at 7 inches. It was a 1972. I was disappointed that it was not an older coin at that depth. Just thought I would share this comparison. It would appear that even with EMI and having to adjust down the V3 the D2 still is a better choice. I will report on more comparisons as I continue to hunt this area.

Jack

Edit: I have a 3 year old coin garden at my house which has EMI issues as well. Not near as bad as the grass area however. With the same above settings I can see a wheat at 7 inches with the 6X10 coil. It wraps on a Wheat at 8 inches, but I can see this on my display. I am not sure why I had trouble seeing the memorial at the grass area. It seems like at 7 inches it should have been in range. Is it possible that the higher EMI is effecting the 6X10 in it's overall depth, more so than that of the D2's? May be this is a coin garden verses actual dig type situation.

Schrecky
10-14-2010, 03:46 PM
Thanks for the very detailed report Jack

Lowjiber
10-14-2010, 04:49 PM
Nice comparison, Jack.

Before I got my last D2 (#3), I would have disagreed. However, my latest D2 is very stable in EMI...much more than the first two.

Thanks. thumbsup01

little man
10-14-2010, 07:57 PM
I like my D2 got 950 been doing some test with it emi are know big deal with it so far the noise and single or a lot lower on the 950 to went you use the probe going back with the D2 tomorrow beem running 950 for the last two hunt

rcasio44
10-14-2010, 08:58 PM
Good report Jack. Both coils were affected by the EMI, but as we know the D2 is just deeper. Neither coil was probably getting its usual maximum depth, but the D2 still had enough depth. I pretty much just use the two coils, but the D2 is my go to coil. I've got a 5.3 but don't use it much and the 9.5 is just when I go to the beach, Rob

CyberSage
10-14-2010, 09:49 PM
Before I got my last D2 (#3), I would have disagreed. However, my latest D2 is very stable in EMI...much more than the first two.

I agree with you Lowjiber. My latest D2 coil seems much better than my previous 3. How did your V3i upgrade go? Have you had it done yet? As soon as the ground freezes here I will probably send mine in.

Jack

BHNugget
10-14-2010, 10:27 PM
When I sent my D2s in for replacement I was pretty much forced to hunt with the 6X10 for a while.The deepest coin I found was about 8 and I was running the sensitivities pretty high (RX 13 Disc 90).This was in EMI free area.The one thing I learned on the 6X10 at these depths was that the coil overlap was so critical as compared to the D2.Swinging the 6X10 with a half coil overlap could easily miss a coin at that depth compared to a 1/3 or even 1/4 coil overlap.In all the places Ive hunted so far,Ive only came across one where the EMI was so badthat I just couldnt run the D2 and as youve noted I dont think I got good depth with the 6X10 there either,although it ran much,much smoother.

6X10 + EMI (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VQjEjxboac#ws)

wingmaster
01-04-2011, 09:03 AM
Good report Jack. Both coils were affected by the EMI, but as we know the D2 is just deeper. Neither coil was probably getting its usual maximum depth, but the D2 still had enough depth. I pretty much just use the two coils, but the D2 is my go to coil. I've got a 5.3 but don't use it much and the 9.5 is just when I go to the beach, Rob
I agree with these findings EMI seems to affect depth no matter what coil I'm using but the D2 is a deep seeking coil for sure and it does seem to pick up more noise than any other coils I've used though.